shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering a mid 80’s rolex

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
My husband gave me the go ahead to purchase a watch. This is my first expensive watch purchase. I have been eyeballing an older 26mm president for a few months now and was beyond excited to pull the trigger. Now that I have the go ahead, I’m getting cold feet. The watch is from the mid 80’s and in mint condition. It has an ivory anniversary dial. Im now eyeballing one that is less expensive with a basic champagne dial with gold batons. It’s exactly ten years newer. I’m tempted to purchase the basic champagne dial and do a dial swap down the road if I feel inclined. Its almost 1k less. My concerns at this point are about the longevity of the watches. Wondering if it’s better to go newer or does it really matter if they are both recently serviced. I’m getting nervous about purchasing a watch that’s older than I am. If I keep up with servicing and take care of it can it last a lifetime? Any thoughts on mid 80’s vs mid 90’s and on a lighter dial vs champagne? I can technically get on a waitlist and purchase a brand new two tone for just a few grand more but I’m pretty attracted to these older presidents. Advice?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a watch collector, most of mine are vintage. With watches provided they are serviced and respected they will keep working for many many decades. Accuracy can suffer slightly but few if any expect or need precision to 1 second a day.
Rolexes of any age are well constructed watches.
i would buy the watch that appeals to you.
I prefer older watches, they are from a time when watches were a treasured and significant possession. Given on auspicious occasions like marriage or graduation or even retirement, they were special.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I am a watch collector, most of mine are vintage. With watches provided they are serviced and respected they will keep working for many many decades. Accuracy can suffer slightly but few if any expect or need precision to 1 second a day.
Rolexes of any age are well constructed watches.
i would buy the watch that appeals to you.
I prefer older watches, they are from a time when watches were a treasured and significant possession. Given on auspicious occasions like marriage or graduation or even retirement, they were special.

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure when Rolex changed, but I was given a Rolex in 1980 by my parents, and I was surprised to learn years later that it was 14K and stainless instead of the 18K I assumed it was.

That would be my only hesitation. Rolexes should be 18K!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results