shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering a career change to... jeweller!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my education has directed me towards becoming a librarian. But a two years ago when I couldn't find a job in a library, I started working at a jewellery store. I completed the GIA essentials courses and became and Accredited Jewellery Professional. I then moved to a new city for my husband's job, and looked for work again. I found a job at a bookstore, which was almost like working in a library and looked to be a good stepping-stone kind of a job. But, as fate would have it, when I was purchasing a small silver band from a local jewellery store, my enthusiasm for the industry was apparent and the owner offered me a job.

I've been working full-time at the bookstore, and part-time at the jewellery store. I LOVE WORKING AT THE JEWELLERY STORE. However, it is 100% commission-based and totally not what I did 6 years of formal education for. It would be a huge departure for me and really a change in my "life path".

But I think I'm going to try it. Work at the jewellery store full-time. Leave the bookstore management job.

Can anyone working in a jewellery store right now, offer me some insight as to the pros and cons of your industry? And perhaps speak to what it's like to train for one job, but discover your passion elsewhere? I would really appreciate hearing some wisdom from those that have been on a similar path :bigsmile:

Thank you!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which job do you enjoy the most? You sound like you are pretty enthusiastic about both of them? Does one pay better? Is that a consideration? Would your ultimate goal be to work in a library? Sorry, lots of questions, no answers!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't work in the jewelry field, but I just want to say that if you can find something you are passionate about, AND get paid doing it, that's a win-win in life!

As long as you have enough savings set aside to buffer any potential loss in wages, I think that a year or even two years away from your librarian related industry isn't a large enough gap that it would hurt your chances of returning if you find that you don't enjoy being in the jewelry industry.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
pearaffair|1460932710|4020561 said:
I've been working full-time at the bookstore, and part-time at the jewellery store. I LOVE WORKING AT THE JEWELLERY STORE. However, it is 100% commission-based and totally not what I did 6 years of formal education for. It would be a huge departure for me and really a change in my "life path".

Hi pearaffair :wavey: - - - Far be it from me to presume to offer advice on what would make you happy - - however, long ago I was a fire-fighter before shifting into diamonds/jewellery, so I do know what it's like to make the decision - best of luck whatever you do.
I do have a few questions / comments...
- Is it the norm in the US (I presume?) to 'employ' staff on 100% commission without a base rate of pay? It's actually illegal here in Australia :o
- Do you think these sort of pure commission based jobs are a major contributor to the general view of the jewellery industry being a bit untrustworthy?
I would think that as a 100% commission based 'employee', if keeping your kids in shoes and socks is going to be determined by how many sales you make each day, your main motivation will be to close a sale just so that the bills can be paid, regardless of whether the customer ends up with something that they don't want/don't need/aren't happy with/etc.
(just an example...don't know if you have kids...or if they even wear shoes & socks :lol: ...but you get my point).
I'd have some serious reservations about working for...or buying from :think: ...someone whose business model obviously isn't based on their employees (or even their customers) best interests.
As an employer you invest in your staff...which means paying them on the bad days as well as the good...but that's just my opinion.
All the best with whatever you decide.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi pearaffair! :wavey:

I can't really advise on what to expect when moving into the jewellery industry as a career, however I can comment on taking a passion and trying to make a career out of it. When I was younger I had wanted to basically live on fishing boats, working to make a living while fishing as much as possible. Until I actually went and did it, while it was a great experience it taught me that passion and work just don't always mix for me.

While some people will tell you that if you can find something that you love doing for work then you will never work another day in your life, taking something that you love doing and turning it into work is an entirely different thing and dilutes the passion that may have been had. I have seen similar happen when people who love food try to become a professional chef.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been working a bit as a contractor/consultant for this jeweller, that's why it's commission based. And he's looking into a salary or hourly wage option for me. I would love to work there if I had some guaranteed base pay :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! So proud of you Pearaffair!

Thanks, PintoBean! I paid off my and my husband's student loans a couple years ago and I want keen to go down that path again, so this scholarship is a big deal to me :D

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi pearaffair! :wavey:

I can't really advise on what to expect when moving into the jewellery industry as a career, however I can comment on taking a passion and trying to make a career out of it. When I was younger I had wanted to basically live on fishing boats, working to make a living while fishing as much as possible. Until I actually went and did it, while it was a great experience it taught me that passion and work just don't always mix for me.

While some people will tell you that if you can find something that you love doing for work then you will never work another day in your life, taking something that you love doing and turning it into work is an entirely different thing and dilutes the passion that may have been had. I have seen similar happen when people who love food try to become a professional chef.

HA!!!! What did I know 12 months ago?!?!?!?! :lol::lol:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Follow your dreams!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HA!!!! What did I know 12 months ago?!?!?!?! :lol::lol:

HAHa! I still think you have good advice. My plan is to work both in libraries AND jewellery stores :)

Just because it's a hobby doesn't mean it can't pay ;-)

If memory serves, you cut stones for the joy of it? Was that you?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HAHa! I still think you have good advice. My plan is to work both in libraries AND jewellery stores :)

Just because it's a hobby doesn't mean it can't pay ;-)

If memory serves, you cut stones for the joy of it? Was that you?

Yep that's me! It got to the point where I literally had opals from one end of the house to the other and I had friends and family asking me why I wasn't selling them. I began to ask myself the same question and made the decision to go trade a little earlier this year!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep that's me! It got to the point where I literally had opals from one end of the house to the other and I had friends and family asking me why I wasn't selling them. I began to ask myself the same question and made the decision to go trade a little earlier this year!

Very cool! I see you're taking your own advice? ;-) haha jk! Passions are great

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How'd you get a GIA scholarship?!? That's so awesome!! I'd totally do that. On the side. Keeping my "day job" for the benefits (health ins).

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How'd you get a GIA scholarship?!? That's so awesome!! I'd totally do that. On the side. Keeping my "day job" for the benefits (health ins).

I applied! Twice. They have a ton of info on their website. First time I didn't get a scholarship; second time, I did! Let me know if you can't find the info and I'll scoop up a link for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results