shape
carat
color
clarity

Conservative appraisals for insurance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

Had a quick q about appraisals... Was looking on here at some local appraisers, and a few in Boston were highly recommended. They were also said to be conservative with their appraisals.

My question is this: Isn’t the only point of the appraisal to give to your insurance company in case the ring is lost? If that’s the case, wouldn’t you want the appraisal to be more liberal than anything? My friend who recently spent in the $20k range for his fiancées ring, had it appraised at $39k… Is that normal?

Also, my homeowner’s insurance agent just sent me this note: How a claim works is that if you make a claim on the jewelry our job is to see if we can replace it- if we cannot-then we will give you the cash in which you were insuring the piece of jewelry for.

That’s with Liberty Mutual… Is that how most companies handle situations such as lost rings?

Thanks!
35.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
If I recall right, you would want a more conservative appraisal because you pay a premium based on the amount on that appraisal...does that make sense? I could be wrong though...but I have two appraisals...one which is inflated ($22,000) and one which is probably more "right" ($15,000)... Our insurance has the $15,000 one because I could probably replace my ring for about that...and it costs you less to insure...

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 4:32:51 PM
Author: UCLABelle
If I recall right, you would want a more conservative appraisal because you pay a premium based on the amount on that appraisal...does that make sense? I could be wrong though...but I have two appraisals...one which is inflated ($22,000) and one which is probably more ''right'' ($15,000)... Our insurance has the $15,000 one because I could probably replace my ring for about that...and it costs you less to insure...

That makes sense... I just called my insurance agent... A $5k difference in apraisal is about $30 a year... I think thats probably worth the extra $30. =)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes, that’s how most insurance companies handle claims although there are exceptions. I would add to this that the description in the appraisal that you submit is what will be used to define what is the replacement. If you went through trouble to get a particular designer, to get a particular pavilion angle or to get a particular symmetry pattern that suits your fancy, make sure this is included in the description that you submit. The bottom line number becomes the maximum limit on liability, not the expected payout in the case of a loss.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results