shape
carat
color
clarity

Connundrum. I need your opinions fellow PS'ers :)

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
Ever have buyer's remorse? I do and I'm unsure of what to do. I need your ideas.

I bought a lovely necklace and pendant. I was happy at the time but I'm not really a necklace/pendant type of gal. I bought it thinking "SURELY I'll need it at least a couple of times a year." Anyway, long story short, I know I'll never wear it. I've had it for three months and still my heart doesn't skip a beat when I see it (never even left the box since coming home with me :( ).

I spoke to my jeweler and he said he would take it back and give me full credit. So in essence I have around $2300 to spend with him. I have a couple of options.

1) Buy some small diamond studs.
2) Buy a lovely diamond/sapphire earring (of some kind). He has a great selection.

But the third option is what I need help with. I have a beautiful ring that I love (see pic below). It's a diamond and white sapphire ring. What I want to do is:

3a) Possibly replace the white sapphire to small diamonds (excellent cut, vs2, G color)
3b) Change them out to yellow (bright yellow)
3c) Change them out to blue sapphires (true blue ceylon variety).

What would you guys do if you were in my place? Keep in mind, I have to do everything through my jeweler and not any of the other vendors on PS.

Attachments

• New Project.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 568

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
What will get more wear? Do you wear that ring a lot? I would go with what will get more use.

If you pick to alter the ring, I personally would go with the diamonds as in my opinion diamonds match everything, but it is totally dependent upon your taste.

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to go with some earring studs. While they won't be my last, I'm going to have to take advantage of the upgrade policy. That way I won't ever lose value.

Plus its a classic and a staple. Every girl needs studs, no?

Thank you for the advice!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think studs are always a nice addition to a jewelry collection. Good choice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The studs was what I would have recommended! The ring looks fine as it is, so that really would have been a waste. The studs are really a jewelry staple and I think you'll get so much more wear out of them than the other options!

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
Now I have to narrow it down. Bright chunky facets vs. Bright tight flashes? Martini vs Classic 4 prong? Raised or Low? Color vs Carat size?

Arrrrrgggggghhhh!!!

:D

Help... please! I have a budget of around $2500 (give or take).

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Studs are indeed a great choice! I LOVE your ring...it is so unique, but elegant and timeless at the same time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The majority here seem to choose martini settings, but I prefer 4 prong baskets as I just like even numbers of prongs! :lol: Can you request ideal cut stones (GIA or AGS)? That is what I'd do! I think H-I-J color are good for studs (if GIA or AGS). Just be sure diameters at least overlap, and I like tables to be no more than one percentage apart (as in 55-56, for example).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1305332385|2921265 said:
The majority here seem to choose martini settings, but I prefer 4 prong baskets as I just like even numbers of prongs! :lol: Can you request ideal cut stones (GIA or AGS)? That is what I'd do! I think H-I-J color are good for studs (if GIA or AGS). Just be sure diameters at least overlap, and I like tables to be no more than one percentage apart (as in 55-56, for example).

What Diamondseeker said. :bigsmile:

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
Thank you guys for the reassurances! I told him GIA stones, G H I color and of course excellent cut. But now I'm debating whether or not I prefer OMC or H & A type facets?

And what are the pros and cons of each kind of setting? Do bezels obstruct light? Does a martini setting means less safety?

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
yennyfire|1305332139|2921260 said:
Studs are indeed a great choice! I LOVE your ring...it is so unique, but elegant and timeless at the same time.

Thank you! I love my jewelers pieces. He really does have the cleanest most beautiful pieces I've ever seen. I'm very very particular and he doesnt even bat an eye. If any of you are ever In NYC you must stop at his store. Bianca's Jewelery on Lexington between 54th and 55th street.

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
marcy|1305334517|2921314 said:
diamondseeker2006|1305332385|2921265 said:

What Diamondseeker said. :bigsmile:

I think your last sentence should just be a canned avatar on PS.... lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Well, thank you!

I'll tell you the problem with OEC's for studs. There are a couple, actually. First, even finding a well-matched pair could be a major pain and take weeks or longer depending on your jewelers sources for such stones. Second, their tiny tables do not let in as much light as H&A type stones, so in many cases, the H&A stones are going to be brighter on the ears. I tried some because I adore the stones, but in the end decided that H&A stones were brighter on my ears. (There were some other factors as well regarding color, etc., too.) The ones I tried were very well matched, though, because they were AV rounds! But no one will be close enough to your ears to really see those facet patterns especially in such small stones. Modern cut stones will be 100 times easier to match.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1305345972|2921461 said:
:lol: Well, thank you!

I'll tell you the problem with OEC's for studs. There are a couple, actually. First, even finding a well-matched pair could be a major pain and take weeks or longer depending on your jewelers sources for such stones. Second, their tiny tables do not let in as much light as H&A type stones, so in many cases, the H&A stones are going to be brighter on the ears. I tried some because I adore the stones, but in the end decided that H&A stones were brighter on my ears. (There were some other factors as well regarding color, etc., too.) The ones I tried were very well matched, though, because they were AV rounds! But no one will be close enough to your ears to really see those facet patterns especially in such small stones. Modern cut stones will be 100 times easier to match.

This. OECs do often face up smaller than well-cut modern RBs of the same carat, because of the high crowns, deeper pavilions... they are *gorgeous* stones but for earrings, when every little bit of size counts and you have a decent budget to work with and *you* can't admire them with your own discerning eyes unless you park yourself in front of a mirror, I'd go with modern RBs - esp. for your first/main pair of studs :sun:

Use the HCA to help you weed the list of options you get, and try and find a shallower pair if possible - shallower crown/pav combo, like 60/60 types w/ 60% table - they are less affected by dirt on the pavilion, which is inevitable w/ studs, super bright, and spread a hair larger than the 'tolkowsky type' RBs generally favoured for rings here on PS.

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
Round Brilliant it is then!

I can't wait to see the options he comes back with.

Yipppppeeeeeee!!!!!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you're going with the studs. They are just a classic must-have piece IMO. I wear mine every single day. I have 4 prong 1.5ctw studs in platinum, though I do LOVE the thin bezel look with milgrain. Thinking of having mine reset at some point....
Can't wait to see what you get!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bezel studs and I love them! They make the diamonds appear a bit larger IMO and to me they are just a little bit more unique than classic studs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results