shape
carat
color
clarity

Congrats to Jonathan/Rhino for his exciting news!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Best wishes Jon for continued success! New ventures are always exciting!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had a chance to watch the video in full now (was 'working' earlier ;-) lol) and it really is amazingly bright - and the fire! I love it :)

Obviously there are aesthetic considerations with regards to facet designs that mean one might prefer the historic cut design in that regard, but the light performance of the AVOval must surely win out!

I can't wait to see the first examples of this cut in a ring or a pendant, it will be knock-out :)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ovals have never been my cup of tea for the reasons given in your vid @Rhino. But your new oval is giving me serious reasons to reconsider my take on ovals.

Looks absolutely stunning. Bravo to you and your cutters! :clap:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the naming is proper. Signature Oval by August Vintage Inc, instead of August Vintage Oval.
It behaves more like a MRB with all pavilion mains firing than a typical oval brilliant does.

very pretty

To be honest... I was expecting something more chunky...

Last edited:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've had a chance to watch the video in full now (was 'working' earlier ;-) lol) and it really is amazingly bright - and the fire! I love it :)

Obviously there are aesthetic considerations with regards to facet designs that mean one might prefer the historic cut design in that regard, but the light performance of the AVOval must surely win out!

I can't wait to see the first examples of this cut in a ring or a pendant, it will be knock-out :)

It does incorporate elements of the original facet design but tweaked in such a way only a Rhino might do. :)

Ovals have never been my cup of tea for the reasons given in your vid @Rhino. But your new oval is giving me serious reasons to reconsider my take on ovals.

Looks absolutely stunning. Bravo to you and your cutters! :clap:

Thanks bm. Yes ... as a cut geek I tend to always look at diamonds that are lacking in some area or not and think ... if I were doing this what would I change? (Same questions that went through my mind with old mine cuts and old Europeans).

The primary goals for me here were quite simple actually.

How can I ...

1. Completely eliminate the bowtie and
2. Eliminate the notorious light leakage found in all ovals. Doing so I'd also eliminate
3. The color absorption commonly seen in ovals.

I'm covering all of these aspects in an upcoming tutorial which I've almost completed.

Every time I'd shoot a video comparing an ideal round or square to an Oval it was always never a contest. Not anymore. :)

I think the naming is proper. Signature Oval by August Vintage Inc, instead of August Vintage Oval.
It behaves more like a MRB with all pavilion mains firing than a typical oval brilliant does.

very pretty

To be honest... I was expecting something more chunky...

Chunky August Vintage Oval coming. :) But yes ... you're spot on. This is not an "August Vintage Oval" and I would not feel comfortable naming it as such. My wife has thought of an awesome name for it but quite frankly ... whoever eventually distributes can name it whatever they want. :)

Warm regards,
Rhino

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful - congratulations and best wishes on your new venture!!

rocklife

Rough_Rock
This is amazing- a total game changer in the world of ovals. I literally just bought an oval- I wish I knew about this ( I would have held off!).

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks bm. Yes ... as a cut geek I tend to always look at diamonds that are lacking in some area or not and think ... if I were doing this what would I change? (Same questions that went through my mind with old mine cuts and old Europeans).

The primary goals for me here were quite simple actually.

How can I ...

1. Completely eliminate the bowtie and
2. Eliminate the notorious light leakage found in all ovals. Doing so I'd also eliminate
3. The color absorption commonly seen in ovals.

@Rhino , congratulations on your achievement.

The goals that you outline above are as you say "quite simple", but finding the solution that will meet those goals is not so simple! I am genuinely curious about your process for inventing this new oval design. Did you alter the traditional faceting based on your intuition and maybe some trial-and-error experiments? Or was the bulk of the design process and optimization done by computer simulation? If you care to share, please do! I look forward to your tutorial as well.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Rhino , congratulations on your achievement.

The goals that you outline above are as you say "quite simple", but finding the solution that will meet those goals is not so simple! I am genuinely curious about your process for inventing this new oval design. Did you alter the traditional faceting based on your intuition and maybe some trial-and-error experiments? Or was the bulk of the design process and optimization done by computer simulation? If you care to share, please do! I look forward to your tutorial as well.

You're correct. Not as simple as it sounds but until I complete the tutorial (just about done) there is purposeful intent in both the facet design as well as the various proportions assigned to it. The tutorial will cover a lot of this. And yes ... computer simulation. I've been working so long with real world goods and seeing how they translate to computer simulations that I've pretty much nailed how a diamond will look based on computer simulations and generally how they'd do on various diamond technologies like Bscope, Isee2, ASET etc. Fun stuff. I actually have a 2nd design as well in way of modern faceted which I'll show in about a month as well as an awesome vintage model I've been working on plus a few other tricks up my sleeve. :Up_to_something: If you have any tech questions feel free to drop me an email ([email protected]) and I'll answer as best I can.

Kindest regards,
Jonathan

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is beautiful - congratulations and best wishes on your new venture!!

Thank you MissGotRocks. <3

Love that brilliant and fiery looking oval! Such a classy shape . Thank you for your ideas and great suggestions.

I'm excited to bring it public and anxiously awaiting the first business.

Warm regards,
Rhino

Smores84

Shiny_Rock
Jon,

Congratulations and wishing you the best!! Hope to be lucky enough to own one of your beautiful stones someday =)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it.:love:

Q

Queenie60

This is quite exciting to me! I look forward to seeing a few of Jon's ovals. I'm in the market for something spectacular and will entertain the idea of owning one of these someday!!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cant wait to see what you can do with a marquise ! Gorgeous oval!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! And I am almost salivating at what's to come!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowza!! I'm knocked out by that video!!:love::appl:

Maybe instead of upgrading my 5ct MRB, I'll get a 5ct Signature oval by August Vintage. Imagine that, one on each hand! I wouldn't get anything done - would be totally distracted! lol

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jon,

Congratulations and wishing you the best!! Hope to be lucky enough to own one of your beautiful stones someday =)

You will! ;-)

I love it.:love:

Thank you whitewave.

This is quite exciting to me! I look forward to seeing a few of Jon's ovals. I'm in the market for something spectacular and will entertain the idea of owning one of these someday!!

I cant wait to see what you can do with a marquise ! Gorgeous oval!!

8-) Thanks tkyasx.

Congratulations! And I am almost salivating at what's to come!!

Exciting times to come.

Best wishes for continued success!

Thank you Brian.

Wowza!! I'm knocked out by that video!!:love::appl:

Thanks Phoenix. Gosh has it been over a decade we know each other now?

Warm regards,
Jonathan

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an oval lover and there are a lot of crummy ovals out there which shed a negative light on the cut. When an oval is properly cut it really is beautiful and the shape is flattering on the finger. I love your new cut and looking forward to seeing one in real life. Now, can you work on an emerald cut?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an oval lover and there are a lot of crummy ovals out there which shed a negative light on the cut. When an oval is properly cut it really is beautiful and the shape is flattering on the finger. I love your new cut and looking forward to seeing one in real life. Now, can you work on an emerald cut?

+1

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rhino I had long since given up my dreams of owning a 5 carat oval just because it's incredibly difficult to shop for versus a round, not to mention the high ass price of a D to G color at that size...and now THIS! In the video you mentioned a form that we can fill if we are interested, but all it says at the end of the video is Enter Text? Let me know where can I sign up!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Rhino I had long since given up my dreams of owning a 5 carat oval just because it's incredibly difficult to shop for versus a round, not to mention the high ass price of a D to G color at that size...and now THIS! In the video you mentioned a form that we can fill if we are interested, but all it says at the end of the video is Enter Text? Let me know where can I sign up!

Thanks Alexis. The link is in the video description below the video. And yea ... LOL I only realized yesterday that I forgot the proper ending title. ;-)

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the video. Oval is my fav shape, so my mind is officially blown! (My eyes too from all that sparkle) Congratulations and keep 'em coming!

CarbonBling

Rough_Rock
Too cool! This is the biggest thing since sliced bread (and a few other masterful AV cuts I've heard of ;)2)! I'm thrilled to the moon for you!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This modern oval is beautiful, but those of us who love old cuts cannot WAIT to see the August Vintage chunky version with the large culet!!!!:love:

Yes, this new oval is such an improvement from the usual ovals we see. It does address the bowtie issue quite well, as well as the top and bottom dead areas. I had hoped for a chunky antique oval and am looking forward to this creation as well. I've been in a busy b&m a lot lately, and I am seeing so many ovals offered. They are very on trend right now. Everyone is trying to maximize finger coverage for the carat. @Rhino I think you will find a huge market for them. Congratulations and Good luck!!

Oh, and may I say I'm particularly interested in a chunky marquise?? :Up_to_something: One of those coming?

One other question about the new asscher. Are they all going to have such deeply cut corners? I prefer them just clipped, rather than the stone looking like a stop sign. No offense. It's the 8 somewhat equal sides reminds me of only one thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results