shape
carat
color
clarity

Confusion or Complexity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It does seem a difficult thing to buy an engagement ring diamond. But is it really the case? Do you have to sweat bullets and walk on heated coals to do the job properly? In these times of the Internet consumers have such wonderful and convenient resources and yet it still is a scary deal, isn't it?

You can readily verify prices and value with Pricescope and many other sites. You can know just about all there is to know with the help of vendors, experts and interested consumers. You get answers at no cost with only the stroke of a few keys, yet it still is not considered easy.

Believe me, it was a whole lot more difficult in times now past. There was a lot less information, very little way of obtaining it reliably, and it was not a rapid situation. It took literally years to get where someone might get today within a few hours. I know that seems pretty much unbelievable, but things have taken a huge change over the past few years.

In the 1970's my father and I were always 6 months behind on the ever escalating increase in diamond values. Dealers kept the secret and made tons. We did great too back then, but we had very little inside knowledge of the daily upswing in value that was taking place. We'd know pretty much immediately today if world events or markets were in flux. We just didn't have the ability to know so much then.

Today you have so many facts, so many sources of information, so many willing sellers, that the confusion lies not in lack of information, but in sorting out the quantity of details and making something digestible and understandable out of it all. Diamonds are a basic and relatively simple subject, but the overwhelming data on them today creates its own sort of confusion and complexity.

While I can't totally cure it, I want to say to those who feel kind of lost, "Don't worry, you will be just fine." Stick to an affordable budget. Find something very pretty that meets the requirements of the person who will recieve the stone. Make it a beautiful and meaningful GIFT, not an exercise in finances. Keep the romance in it. For that matter, don't give up on the romance part. The diamond will last and the romance should be made to last, too.

Doing the impossible is not what buying a diamond is all about. Making a splendid gift. Giving a deep meaning to your question of "Will you marry me?" That's really what experts and jewelers are all about, in spite of our endless advice and sales pitches. We want you to have less confusion and truly to keep it simple. It is a good rule to follow in more things than just diamonds.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/2/2004 4:33:17 PM oldminer wrote:

Believe me, it was a whole lot more difficult in times now past.

----------------

Great lesson...

I believe ! that ignorance is bliss ... as long as it lasts - not long, in these days.
2.gif

Diamonds aside, my first piece of 'real' jewelry was a sapphire ring (and I am still hooked with the blues) of absolutely no value. Some jeweler talked me into it, and I walked around blissfully with the think for a couple of years completely ignoring the bad deal it really was
2.gif
As soon as I learned precisely for how much I had been duped, my enchantment turned sour ... and I had the exactly same ring made with a stone everyone else would recognize as "nice". I still love the old ring and hate the day when I found out what it really was !

Conclusion ? Here I am on PS...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results