shape
carat
color
clarity

confusion about info on settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dougie

Rough_Rock
Dear Garry:
In a portion of this website discussing prong settings, it was said:
"Another problem is these settings usually touch or are very close to the rear of the diamond – dirt gets wedged in and even a jewelers steam cleaner can’t dislodge it. This dirt kills the brilliance of even an ideal cut diamond."
I''m a bit confused because I thought that a well cut diamond lets little or no light in through the pavilion, and therefore it would seem that even a completely dirt-covered pavilion would have no affect upon the brilliance of a well-cut diamond. I thought that as long as the crown were kept clean, the perfectly cut diamond would be just as brilliant even if the pavilion were painted black. Am I missing something?

Dougie

Rough_Rock
Can you clear up my confusion Garry? I'm sure I must be missing something. THANKS!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
As far as we're concerned, you could pack a tightly cut ideal cut diamond or any other well cut diamond for that matter, in mud and it would still perform provided that the crown is kept clean... At least that's our theory, we'll have to try it one of these days... We haven't run into any dirt that couldn't be removed with an ultrasonic, the right cleaning solution and a steam cleaner... If all else fails, the jeweler can burn it out with a torch set on low... We don't know the jist of Garry's article because we haven't seen it, but this is our take on the issue.

Dougie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Robin & Todd. That's exactly what I thought. Here's the address of the article that caused me the confusion (the quote came from the third paragraph):

https://www.pricescope.com/ring_prong.asp

Thanks again.

Dougie

Rough_Rock
So Garry, do you agree with Robin and Todd?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond may be sparkly but I would think you would still see the dirt looking through the crown. I suppose this is why we keep our rings clean otherwise the bottom of the stone would look black.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't get a prong head that is too small for your stone. You will have problems cleaning it and who wants to take their ring into the jeweler for them to burn out dirt and debris from behind the stone to get it truly clean?

My stone has a tulip 4 prong head, and when I turn the ring at an angle I can see a nice space between the prongs holding the stone and the angle that the pavilion comes down into the bottom of the head. This allows me to get in there and scrub with a baby toothbrush every day if I want, keeping my pavilion and culet very clean. It would drive me nuts if I couldn't get into that space between the stone and prongs/head to clean.

My coworker has a setting like this, where the stone fits tightly into a 4 or 6 prong set head...she hates it, she says it is always dirty. So my suggestion would be since you are considering this already, be sure whatever ring you buy has a large enough head to fit the stone with a bit of room for cleaning.
1.gif
It's not as though you own the setting already, therefore you can circumvent any problems by researching your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results