shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused about vendor differences in Tahitian pearl colors

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I wonder if our pearl experts can help!

I love Tahitian pearls, but I specifically like body colors and overtones of green, blue, and peacock. I don't like Tahitians that are really dark. Pearl Paradise is my favorite vendor for pearls, but they don't ever seem to have these very green Tahitians. In the past, I've ordered Tahitians from PP that were said to have a green overtone, but the body color was still black and the green overtone was barely noticeable. (I returned them.)

Then I looked at the website of American Pearl and was confused to see that the colors I like are freely available. Really festive greens, peacocks, etc. But I can't figure out why PP doesn't seem to sell these. So I'm wondering if the ones at AP are enhanced in any way.

I'm looking at these: https://www.americanpearl.com/tahit...MI-MTH3cnr7AIVTgfDCh0DywCiEAEYASAEEgJrtfD_BwE

You can choose from my dream colors - blue, green, peacock. Since PP doesn't offer anything like this, I'm wondering if these colors are legit. (Started a chat with AP, but haven't heard back from them yet.)

I just don't understand why one vendor would offer these amazing colors and not the other vendor. What am I missing?

Thanks!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, and I hope the experts will come in offer their opinion and advice soon.

However, IMHO, the different colours as seen in the listing are Photoshopped onto the same base pair of pearls, and are unlikely to be the exact pair that a costumer would receive.

Other vendors stock different colours pearls, however, the more reputable ones will photograph pearls that one would receive, and not to use stock photos.

If one knows what he/she likes in pearl colour(s), he/she can ask the more reputable vendors to hunt them down on their buying trips, like PP and POJ would do.

I am after a strand of blue Tahitians in 12-14mm, as already informed Jeremy and Hisano when I visited PP in 2016, and shall save up for it in a couple of years' time.

DK :))

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently got into pearls and am still learning but the color descriptions are as confusing as when I first got into colored gems! So I’m still learning the lingo as well.

I will say I had a great experience with Moline pearls, and got this green/copper Tahitian. Higher prices but I also think higher and more consistent quality and individualized attention to what you’re looking for. I don’t think I could afford a whole strand this way but I was just after one cream of the crop accent pearl and I think it worked out.

This pearl was described by vendor as “fancy color, green peacock (sunset) with copper/bronze overtones” which wouldn’t be intuitive to me based on photos but is truer to real life.

B8992BBD-2377-4428-B624-A197EA91F6A1.jpeg

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tahitian pearls are, politely put, a mess!

There is a huge variety of color, and it's not easy to discern sometimes.

It's no secret that the true best of the best pearls -- of any type -- are very expensive. To answer your question directly: Top quality Tahitians are indeed bright and vivid colors, and they shouldn't be color-enhanced in any way.

The way that I personally (this may be different for any vendor) break up Tahitian pearls are fancy and non-fancy colors. Non-fancy would be those neutral gray/black tones that one sees, and fancy would be like you described some of your favorites -- the blues, greens, peacocks, and so forth.

I would say that before you build a trusted relationship with a preferred vendor that you should be able to receive pictures of the actual pearls you would be purchasing. Once you and your vendor have gotten a feel for one another, it's easier and more possible to have them find stuff for you, but especially for Tahitians it is important to ensure that you can see photos of what you're looking for.

Finally, as a trade member I cannot give any specific comments regarding other vendors, but just for general advice, you should look up and get in touch with any vendor you're considering to see how you're treated and the response you get both before and after you might make an order.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, both!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Moline!

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Glad to help in any way! I hope you find some amazing pearls, in exactly the colors you're wanting!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos that both AP and PP post aren’t necessarily the exact pearls that you will receive - this tends to be true when a specific listing is offered with multiple options, like these pearls. If the listing is for a specific necklace/bracelet/pair of earrings, or if a listing says something to the effect of "this is the exact piece you'll receive", then you can have reasonable confidence that's what you'll receive (with Pearl Paradise that's a 100% guarantee, American Pearl sometimes oversells and ships alternatives of like kind and quality without notification). In this case the listing is for "this is they style of earring, choose your colours"; the two pearls in the green option, for example, are the same photo duplicated:

1604588178421.png

I don't recommend American Pearl for online purchases. Consistently exasperating experences with both product and customer service, and I'm not the only one. A friend’s recent experience:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...out-posts-on-south-sea-pearl-earrings.260268/

Pearl Paradise can provide what you're looking for, absolutely! They just might not list those options on the site. If you call or chat in, tell them what you’re looking for and they’ll pull some options from their vault and photograph them for you. And they’re great about extra photos, videos, etc. ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few days ago I took these photos of a Tahitian that I own (from @molinePDG). Lighting environment and photography can change Tahitian appearance so much. Sunny days and indoor yellows are the worst lights for them...

Same pearl, different lighting & cameras -

1. iPhone XS, on a paper towel, in a mostly white room. Daylight. No post processing.
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 1.35.58 PM.jpeg

2. Canon G7, white strobe and poor man's lightbox (printer paper). Daylight. No post processing.
IMG_0230.PNG

3. Vendor photo. Unknown lighting, unknown post processing.
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 1.39.32 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just posting a link to an interesting, older thread about vendor photos vs. IRL photos of Tahitians:

@yssie, your last post would be a great addition to that thread.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Describing a colour is hard. What I suggest you do is find a photo of the pearl and colour you want, save it and send it when you want to purchase an item.
I recently had someone order a white pearl when it turned out that what she really wanted was pale apricot (to replace a lost earring).

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Reading this thread now is quite timely for me.. I was looking at a strand on my desk just now and thinking how the colours change so dramatically over the course of the day. From silver grey shades in direct light and then to lovely soft greens , peacocks and silver green. You wouldn't think it's the same strand. Now if I photographed it, it would look very vibrant and super colourful. That due to the way that the light is reflected, sometimes it bounces off the surface and other times it picks up just the base colours.
As Yssie said, strong sun and yellow indoor lighting is the worst.

I think I know the colour you like and it's not something that one generally finds in an entire strand. It's a bright mid tone green and definitely one of my favourites. I'm always asking for bright green ... and often sent .. green... which then goes back. Ask for light - mid tone green strands.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I wonder if our pearl experts can help!

I love Tahitian pearls, but I specifically like body colors and overtones of green, blue, and peacock. I don't like Tahitians that are really dark. Pearl Paradise is my favorite vendor for pearls, but they don't ever seem to have these very green Tahitians. In the past, I've ordered Tahitians from PP that were said to have a green overtone, but the body color was still black and the green overtone was barely noticeable. (I returned them.)

Then I looked at the website of American Pearl and was confused to see that the colors I like are freely available. Really festive greens, peacocks, etc. But I can't figure out why PP doesn't seem to sell these. So I'm wondering if the ones at AP are enhanced in any way.

I'm looking at these: https://www.americanpearl.com/tahitian-pearl-sheperds-hook-10mm-drop-pearl-earring.html?utm_source=tahitian-pearl-sheperds-hook-10mm-drop-pearl-earring&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-MTH3cnr7AIVTgfDCh0DywCiEAEYASAEEgJrtfD_BwE

You can choose from my dream colors - blue, green, peacock. Since PP doesn't offer anything like this, I'm wondering if these colors are legit. (Started a chat with AP, but haven't heard back from them yet.)

I just don't understand why one vendor would offer these amazing colors and not the other vendor. What am I missing?

Thanks!

I absolutely love these earrings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results