shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused about new setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Hello. I recently posted my new setting for my ering in the show me the ring forum. Just a liitle bit of history before I ask for your advice... you have all be so helpful in the last few years so this is where I turn when in doubt about my ring. Well here is the deal. I reset my ering from this setting..
http://www.affinitydiamonds.com/R-937-R2483-2.htm

To this setting...
http://www.affinitydiamonds.com/R-1004-R2744-2.htm

I have been very pleased with Adiamor, formerly Affinity diamonds. They have been very accomodating with every aspect of the original purchase to this one. I wanted a thicker, chunkier, more simple setting to show off my center stone, 1.20 radiant, G, Si1 and my channell set wedding band. For some reason, my original ering was to dainty for me and I had to wear two wedding bands to achieve the thickness that I wanted and my center stone got lost in all the diamonds. I am much more pleased wit the look of my center stone in the new setting, as it pops much more and seems much more sparkly and not as small as I thought it would in that thick setting, my stone measures out to about a 1.12, instead a 1.20. Anyway, I love the setting, however, in my anal exam of the ring, in the last few days, I only recieved it on Tuesday, I noticed that one of the sides of the ring is slightly lopsided. Where the catherdral part comes up and meets the prongs, it seems that one if them is slightly lower than the other side. I tried to take a pic to show but my camera does not work that well close up. From the top view, you cannot tell and from one side of the ring you can''t tell either, but when you flip it around you can tell. My hubby thinks I am insane and I should just be happy instead of sending it back. He thinks it is barely noticable unless you stare at it, but he admits he can see it as well. He thinks that no one will ever notice as it is such a small mistake and that no one will ever notice unless I take my ring of and they inspect it. My question is, should I return it and demand a new one? Or should I stop being an anal woman and just accept it as it is a small barely noticable flaw? Any advice would be great and sorry for the novel..........
20.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
You've identified this flaw (and apparently your husband can see it too) and it is going to drive you crazy until you do something about it! I would return it.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
I think that you are right. I think I am going to go to a local jewler in town that I trust and have him take the diamond out and I am going to send the setting back and order the same one from him.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Given the way the ring looks in the pic on the site and the way you''ve described the flaw, I think a jeweler might be able to fix it without removing the diamond. Are the cathedral sides sautered to the prongs or do they just touch?

Jean

Shiny_Rock
They are not touching the prongs... they just come up to meet the prongs. On one side I can fit my fingernail between the prongs and the cathedral part. One the otherside I can''t fit my nail through. It is almost touchng the side and lopsised.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
It most likely got bent during normal wear. It should take a jeweler all of five minutes to fix it with a pair of padded pliers and most of that time would be spent in cleaning it and giving it a repolish afterwards.
2.gif
Don''t worry about it.
5.gif

Jean

Shiny_Rock
I only wore it one day and it was like that right when I got it in the mail. I think it was messed up when it was molded.... who know.. all I know it is going to drive me nuts!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Shana. Sorry to hear the ring isn''t completely perfect, but it sounds fixable. I''m thinking it might be easier to take it to a local goldsmith or jeweler for an estimate/consultation first.

My concern about unmounting and returning the setting is the insurance. While the stone is unmounted, is it insured under either your policy or the jeweler''s (if they hold it)? I know my insurance does not insure a loose stone. Maybe you don''t mind the risk, but it would be a factor to me.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Slight concern about the insurance but now I have another concern which is bothering me a lot...and I feel like I am hurting my hubby''s feelings... ok here is the deal. I brought my ring to a local jewler today to make sure the setting was ok and to see if he could notice the imperfections. He noticed in like two seconds but not only that he also said that the diamond is not set as good as it should be, not too bad but not perfect. Then he went onto tell me that my diamond is a fair cut diamond and that no matter how many times I change the setting, I may never be happy. He said it does not sparkle like it should and that I should not bought the stone on-line. He said that my diamond is poorly cut, blah, blah, blah, it made me feel like S***!!! I know my stone is not perfect, but as far as radiants go to me, it is fine. The only thing is that bothers me a little is that it measures out at 1.00 carat and is a 1.20, but other than that it looks great to me and everyone else that sees it. Well being 4.5 months pregnant and very hormonal I got into my car and cried like a baby to my husband. I told him I wanted a new stone, blah, blah blah.. what should I do???

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Oh Shana, you poor dear! I am so sorry that this jeweler is trying to scare you! What a jerk, saying such a thing to a new bride! Personally, I''d never go into that store again!

I''m not quite clear on what you are saying about the 1.12 vs 1.20 thing - are you referring to the spread of your stone? It sounds like, other than this issue, you like your stone and other people have reinforced that. Did he change your mind?

I want to tell you a brief story. My mother has friends who were looking for studs for their anniversary. They asked for my help because they know I''m a diamond nut. I found them premium-cut, F/G VS studs, 1.00 carat total weight for an excellent price from a reputable online vendor. The wife opened the box and was thrilled. They were gorgeous, and I am picky.

A few days later, another set of "friends" with a "cousin in the jewelry business" pooh-poohed the studs and said to go see their cousin. The cousin also pooh-poohed the studs, said they were J/K SI at best, and that he could find them a much better pair for the price they paid. So they believed him, returned the original studs, paid about 20% more, and got crappy stones! I was in total shock.

I was hurt because they doubted me, the "friends" and the "cousin" were dishonest, and the people I tried to help wound up with something not worth the box it came in. We don''t talk to the "friends" anymore...

I tell you this story because it''s a classic example of how some jerk can plant doubt just to get a sale. Don''t buy it, particularly when the jeweler was obviously insensitive. He''d clearly do/say anything to sell you a diamond. If you want another opinion, go to one of the independent appraisers on this site. Otherwise, love your diamond for what it is - a beautiful symbol of the love between you and your husband.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
PS - Congrats on your pregnancy!

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Starryeyed....you are so sweet!! Thanks for the story.....it does make me feel better and I know he was in some way trying to sell me another stone. Yea, I meant the spread of my stone is not a 1.20 radiant, it is more along the carat range..which from all my recent research seems rather common amongst radiants and princess cuts.. however... being not 100% happy with my stone from day one and knowing that it is not a perfect cut but a very good cut, then having him tell me that it is fair at best, make me feel like crap........ I know I want my stone to look bigger because shrinkage has set in, I am leaning towards a halo setting but my concern is that my wedding band is channel set and will not match pave... any advice would be great!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about radiants - are there definitive proportions for an "ideal" radiant? I thought radiants were one of those fancy shapes that don't have defined "Ideal" proportions. I know asschers can be that way. Asschers also "face-up" smaller than a RB, so I'm guessing this is what is happening with your radiant.

Proportions and measurements aside, if YOU like the stone, keep it. With respect to the setting and the wedding band, talk with your husband about it - what does he think? These rings may be sentimental to him and you don't want to hurt his feelings!

I can tell you this - I have two pave rings. On one, the pave work is excellent and it doesn't snag. On the other, the ring was sized so now the pave isn't great. I've had it back to the jeweler because a stone popped out. It gets snagged on everything. So if you get a pave setting, make sure it is well-made and in the right size!

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Great advice.. and as far as I know, there are not ideal porportions for a radiant, it is a visual thing...... as far as the pave, I appreciate your advice and will make sure I get a quality setting... thanks for everything. You have been very helpful and I will let you know what occurs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results