shape
carat
color
clarity

confused about nearcolorless diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I read some sites recommended diamond color H-G in colorless range for white setting, and that I-J colors may look a little yellow in platinum or white gold setting, or they are off colors. Some site cited that I-J color is still in colorless range for white setting.What do you recommend? I looked at I color diamond at Zales and they look colorless to me. I put it next to my G color diamond, and the other looks more transparent. I hardly see J color diamond in platinum setting though.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Some people really want colorless (D-E-F) others are willing to go with near-colorless (G-H-I-J). It is important to remember that color is graded while looking through the stone on its side. if a diamond is well cut, it will appear when viewed through the table to be a better color than it really is. I have a "J" diamond for which I am constantly villified, but it is ideally cut and face up I cannot tell it from a "G." From a "D" yes. But to me the difference is so small that it is not worth the extra $. Others disagree and want the better color willing to sacrifice clarity which was important to me (VVS2 per GIA) even though it would be eye-clean down to at least VS2 and maybe SI1.Mine is set in 14K YG but I would not have hesitated to set it in Platinum. One man's opinion here: I am not hung up on the color. It is the the cut that makes the diamond. Go for ideal, and then assign priorities to clarity and color.The Rodentman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results