shape
carat
color
clarity

confused about nearcolorless diamond

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by mbn, Sep 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. mbn
    Shiny_Rock

by mbn » Sep 11, 2001
    I read some sites recommended diamond color H-G in colorless range for white setting, and that I-J colors may look a little yellow in platinum or white gold setting, or they are off colors. Some site cited that I-J color is still in colorless range for white setting.What do you recommend? I looked at I color diamond at Zales and they look colorless to me. I put it next to my G color diamond, and the other looks more transparent. I hardly see J color diamond in platinum setting though.

2. rodentman
    Shiny_Rock

by rodentman » Sep 11, 2001
    Some people really want colorless (D-E-F) others are willing to go with near-colorless (G-H-I-J). It is important to remember that color is graded while looking through the stone on its side. if a diamond is well cut, it will appear when viewed through the table to be a better color than it really is. I have a "J" diamond for which I am constantly villified, but it is ideally cut and face up I cannot tell it from a "G." From a "D" yes. But to me the difference is so small that it is not worth the extra $. Others disagree and want the better color willing to sacrifice clarity which was important to me (VVS2 per GIA) even though it would be eye-clean down to at least VS2 and maybe SI1.Mine is set in 14K YG but I would not have hesitated to set it in Platinum. One man's opinion here: I am not hung up on the color. It is the the cut that makes the diamond. Go for ideal, and then assign priorities to clarity and color.The Rodentman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.