shape
carat
color
clarity

Confessions of an outerwear junkie...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the past week alone I have purchased a coat (mandarin collar, outside pockets, black textured fabric), two ponchos (one in black, one in grey), a long grey cashmere sweater and a slouchy black cashmere thing that's best described as the love child of an oversized sweater and poncho who meet in a bar and had a shapeless but very lush one night stand.

My coat closet is at capacity. Spring coats. Down coats ala Michelin Man. Fall coats. Dress coats. Rain coats...

Waterproof. With belts, without belts. Boiled wool (oh how I love thee, boiled wool!). Hooded. Form over function, function over form -- you name it I've got it (and probably in several colors...)!

Anyone else share in this little "problem"?

P.S. -- and don't get me started on *scarves*!!!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
You're not alone.
Not me, but SO has enough jackets to sink a ship. They're all over the house, in his truck, in the garage. And we don't have winters down here like some parts of the country. We'd have to get a storage unit for all of them if we really had winter.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll play--DH just got me a Burberry Prorsum black trench coat that I'm dying to wear once the weather gets a little cooler! ::) Would love to get more in multiple colors but don't want to eat into my bling budget!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a long black wool, a long camel wool, 2 leather, 3 faux fur, raincoat, three vests and a new cape. Good thing it's gets cold in Chicago!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh AprilBaby -- vests! I forgot about vests! I have... hmmm... maybe 4 or 5? I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever worn them, but I do LOVE them!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Mine is sort of outwear - I am a junkie when it comes to things like blazers, fur vests, open-front cashmere cardigans, etc.
I recently purchased a blonde mink vest (the woman takes vintage mink coats and recycles them into other wearable pieces like vests), a long cashmere sweater, and a moto-style mixed media jacket (with army green cotton and back leather).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband cringes every time I buy another jacket. However, I am a cold natured person so want to be warm no matter the occasion or dress!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is a lot. I have very few jackets, because I hate wearing them! They are for function (and only when absolutely required).
Long (past knee) wool& cashmere - fancy
Butt covering wool - every day winter
2 layer ski jacket (shell & inner jacket) - extra cold days (it also helps that its large, so I can fit a sweater or two under!)
Spring/fall trench

Thats about it. On a regular day that isn't very cold, I'd rather just wear a sweater/cardigan. Our weather is quite annoying for spring/fall - cold/chilly in the morning, warm in the afternoon. Since I drive to work, I'm only outside for a few moments, I will usually forego a jacket just for ease later in the day. If it's cold enough to need a jacket, then I'm not caring about how cute it is!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1444769554|3937935 said:
Mine is sort of outwear - I am a junkie when it comes to things like blazers, fur vests, open-front cashmere cardigans, etc.
I recently purchased a blonde mink vest (the woman takes vintage mink coats and recycles them into other wearable pieces like vests), a long cashmere sweater, and a moto-style mixed media jacket (with army green cotton and back leather).
that sounds like a beautiful piece, and a wonderful idea!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I love coats and I would be a junkie too, but it's 93 degrees out side...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1444770618|3937948 said:
momhappy|1444769554|3937935 said:
that sounds like a beautiful piece, and a wonderful idea!

It's gorgeous and my second one. My other one is a medium brown color and just as lovely. They are my absolute favorite pieces (after shoes and handbags ;-) ) and I always get tons of compliments when I wear them. I am actually a vintage fur junkie :oops:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to have a lot. Then the kids came and the room I had to "spread out" thru the house dwindled away. Otherwise, I'd be in a close situation, tho I never got into scarves or vests. We have "weather", so you need varying combinations through the year, depending on what you'll encounter-which can change at the drop of the hat. It's Iowa-we could have a blizzard and get 2ft of snow on Halloween or it could be 80 that day. I've been on the hunt for new outerwear for 3 years now, badgering poor Monnie on FB to look at links and get her thoughts on what would work best. JD cringes when it gets to be time for coats to appear in stores b/c he knows I'm going to try everything on and be irritated w/myself in the mirror.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We have so much varying weather--that I have (probably) no less than 15 pieces of outerwear. Same with my DH. And yanno, I wear them all! It is a job to rotate them every season....eyeyiyyi.

chees--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guilty! You know you got it bad when you also have a "hug me" coat: a gray faux fur jacket that everyone comments on feeling like a teddy bear lolololol!

I have all kinds of coats and jackets but I end up wearing the same stinkin machine washable fleece all the time! The longer hooded one from lands end with the waist that cinched in. What happens is that I end up with my necessities sneaking into the pockets... Keys in one pocket, wallet, etc, and the next thing I know it's just easier to grab and go instead of emptying the pockets. It's also roomy enough to accommodate all kinds of thick and thin tops. Sigh... So no motivation there to swap outerwear. Lolol...

I got a pretty olive leather jacket from Nordstrom. I hope I wear it...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We live in a cold climate so it is our RIGHT. ;)) You are just being practical. Hope you enjoy every last lovely coat.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1444772751|3937966 said:
I used to have a lot. Then the kids came and the room I had to "spread out" thru the house dwindled away. Otherwise, I'd be in a close situation, tho I never got into scarves or vests. We have "weather", so you need varying combinations through the year, depending on what you'll encounter-which can change at the drop of the hat. It's Iowa-we could have a blizzard and get 2ft of snow on Halloween or it could be 80 that day. I've been on the hunt for new outerwear for 3 years now, badgering poor Monnie on FB to look at links and get her thoughts on what would work best. JD cringes when it gets to be time for coats to appear in stores b/c he knows I'm going to try everything on and be irritated w/myself in the mirror.

Ha! You're the prettiest and sweetest most blinged-out badger ever!

DeeJay, I share your addiction. I have way too much wool and cashmere happening in my closet. It's only a matter of time before the moths descend on it and eat through the entire thing. I store everything in plastic bins or these giant Zip-loc-type vacuum-sealable bags that slide under the bed, but when I began pulling stuff out a few days ago in anticipation of colder weather I was amazed at the amount of STUFF I had acquired! And that's not even my coat closet!

I have a ton of technical gear. Waterproof, windproof, all the layers in between.

Then I have "dress" coats and capes and ponchos and wraps.

Then I have down-filled, quilted, coats/jackets/whatever.

It's nuts what it takes to keep a gal looking good when it's a frozen tundra outside!

Yeah, let's NOT talk about scarves/accessories. Jesus. I'm getting a hot flash just thinking about all the crap I need to un-earth for winter. I took 3 pair of boots to the cobbler last week for refurbishing...omg don't get me started on winter footwear. WHY DO I STILL LIVE IN THE MIDWEST???

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you often cold? Your wardrobe sounds like one that belongs to someone that hates the cold, and gets cold easily.

Plus you live somewhere that (as far as I can tell) is cold more than it is warm. So... makes some sense.

I live in CA and I finally bought one 'warm' car coat last year. And I bought a waterproof jacket the year before (casual). That one is unlined.

When I lived in NJ I had two coats. A long one and a short one. Both were good quality with cashmere and alpaca.

But I'm usually warm. And don't really mind the cold.

If I lived somewhere when it got cold again, I'd probably do the same thing. Get the best quality I could afford. But only stick to one (long) or two (short).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though I live in a warm state, I get cold easy. I love finding outer ware that I can use it my state. Its usually more lightweight
and covers my butt (who likes a cold butt?) Just the other day I bought a sleeveless vest that I'm hoping to get lots of wear out
of. I'm always looking for long cardigans with nice collars (this is outer ware in my state for a good part of the year). I've been
considering ponchos lately but not sure if the sleeves (or well, the part that hangs down) will get in my way. Guess I'll have to try
one to find out!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to see I'm not alone!

Yes, I live in a cold place, and I do get cold easily... but I think this problem runs deeper than the practical aspect implied by all that! :cheeky:

Anyone want to post their favorite piece of outerwear? Or maybe some outerwear they're *thinking* of getting... ? :devil:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my heavenly soft shapeless tunic. (I got it in black but the grey color shows up better on the screen.)

ETA... hmmmm.... I wonder if I should get the deep red color too?!

tunic.jpg

tunic_back.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh.......me too. I have so many coats, wraps, etc. I don't know what to do with them all. I just bought two more a week ago. The worst part is I've been spending a lot of the winter in southern FL where I don't even need a coat. :errrr:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S.......................I'm equally as bad with sweaters.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a problem too, and I live in Southern California where, winter really doesn't exist 50 degrees F is freezing for me. But, I travel for work, so last winter alone, I bought one red wool coat, one long parka type coat, one trench and a wool sweater coat with toggles. My husband thinks I have a "coat" problem, but when it comes to my 60+ pairs of shoes, he just shrugs it off, and says, you're a girl, it's normal!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
ohhh DeeJay, where'd you get that tunic? I really like it! Here in NorCal I don't need a lot of coats but I do buy my fair share. Typically lighter weight jackets/ponchos/and scarves are what I buy. I love scarves, especially pashminas. I just bought a gorgeous rain coat, I know, I know..... we're in a drought. But if El Nino hits like they are saying, I need to be prepared, right?? :naughty:

I also just bought this poncho, I can't wait to wear it!!

_11086250.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That poncho is so pretty asscher_girl...that's right up my alley! Warm but not too warm...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate you guys, with your coat obsessions, because then you move down here to the south and send them to Goodwill. Where I buy them for pennies on the dollar. :)

I got a 100% boiled wool coat, black, with a hood, for $20! It's very cool, I look like a Druid, or someone out of a romance novel, and the thing weighs at least 20 pounds. I have it for if/when I ever have to be up north during the winter.

The only other coat I have is a double-breasted Chanel coat (eBay), lightweight, classic A-line. Not warm, but if I ever have to go to an evening opera, I'm all set. :lol:

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
asscher_girl|1444910806|3938482 said:
ohhh DeeJay, where'd you get that tunic? I really like it! Here in NorCal I don't need a lot of coats but I do buy my fair share. Typically lighter weight jackets/ponchos/and scarves are what I buy. I love scarves, especially pashminas. I just bought a gorgeous rain coat, I know, I know..... we're in a drought. But if El Nino hits like they are saying, I need to be prepared, right?? :naughty:

I live in NorCal as well - my mom convinced me to pick up a Northface puffer (I chose one with a cute fur lined hoodie) that I love love love, although it isn't the most professional coat with suits. They keep saying it's going to be a doozie of a winter, but I don't really have a proper rain coat...but I aways wanted one for Burberry...perhaps I need one!

I have my rain boots ready for the rain!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1444921169|3938553 said:
Asscher Girl, the tunic is at Nordstrom Rack: https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/1362359/14th-union-short-sleeve-cashmere-sweater?color=GRY+CLOUDY+HTR Five marvelous colors, each for the low low price of $79.97!

I LOVE IT and it comes in MY COLOR (gray)!

I'm not an outerwear junkie, but I am a cashmere junkie! I don't usually start looking for it until the January sale, however - so I'm kind of buying ahead for the following winter.

Not that we have much winter here. :(

I never did figure out how to wear pashimas gracefully... it might have to do with the fact that we really don't need all those extra layers here in California. Neckware is another matter entirely though, and I am starting to build up a bit of a collection now that I've taken up knitting again.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscher_girl|1444910806|3938482 said:

LOVE THIS!!!!

I haven't bought a poncho yet, but after seeing this, I am sold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results