shape
carat
color
clarity

Concerns with the Halo on my ring

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

i'd like to seek your honest opinion as to whether or not i should consider a re-do for my halo (just the head part) possibly in the near future...

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love my ring, Steven's work is just amazing and there is no complaint whatsoever about his craftsmanship.

for those who have followed my SK ring journey already know that the halo of my ring has a "scallop" knife edge. the ring is absolutely perfect and i cannot ask for anything more. however, over the past 2 months of wearing the ring every day, i have realized that the knife edge is quite prone to "damage" when i accidentally knock it onto surfaces once in a blue moon. i find that a couple of dents already happening due to so little metal surface area at the scallop edge, causing those scallops to flatten a little. currently, these dents are only causing minor cosmetic flaws under the loupe, however i'm not sure how much this will impact the durability of the pave on the halow... below are the photos of my ring when it was completely brand new. as you imagine the scallop knife edge can be easily get knocked out of shape:

23.jpg

24.jpg

for the sake of overall longevity and durability of the halo, i'm considering to have the head part re-done in the style of the below photo (only look at the side / profile of the halo) showing little amount of metal on the edge of the halo but more substantial to take every day wear / occasional impact, this version will have no pave around the side of the halo :

Picture%204_2.png

in addition, i am considering to have the claw prongs to be a smidge more substantial.

what do you all think? should i wear thing ring until there are enough "dents" before taking in for a re-do, or would you think i should just go ahead and do this as soon as possible?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd talk to Steven and see what he recommends. For whatever it's worth, I love the scallop detail on your ring and if Steven says that it's structurally sound, I wouldn't worry about little dents that can only be seen with a loupe.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would wear it until it is damaged enough for a repair. By then, you may not even want a halo anymore and can change the setting fully. I think you are itching for another project :razz: that happens to me ...

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Yenny. If the ring is structurally sound, I would chalk it up to everyday wear and tear. I have to force myself to let
stuff like that go. I tell my self anything well-loved gets a little bruised in the process.

Love your ring, Frankie!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would wear it...it is a beautiful ring! Are you in NY? If so you could take it to SK and ask about whether or not it is structurally sound. He could probably also polish out any 'dents'.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any ring made of platinum will get scratches or dents if you bump it against things. I honestly think you need to throw away your loupe, because I think you are seeing things that no one could see with their eyes! Enjoy the ring and if it ever has visible damage, then redo it then. You mother's setting was a little more practical because it didn't have the diamonds on the side of the halo, if I recall correctly.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi, if you'd still like pave along the side of the halo an option for you would be a different pave style. U-cut with 4 beads between the rows wouldn't create a knife edge and wouldn't be prone to damage the thin metal scallop parts. You'd have pave beads there instead of metal.

Good luck.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wear it. Enjoy it. Stop looking at it with a loupe. And fix it if it ever needs it!

And find another project t owork on :rodent:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1307811366|2943322 said:
Wear it. Enjoy it. Stop looking at it with a loupe. And fix it if it ever needs it!

And find another project t owork on :rodent:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't worry about it until it actually needs repair. I certainly don't think you should re-do it just yet. It is possible that by the time it would need to be fixed/replaced you want something different anyway so I agree with Charmy to just wait it out a bit. I also think you should just try to love it and enjoy it for being the beautifully crafted ring that it is.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you knowingly and willingly choose a delicate style... expect it to be delicate, and don't be disappointed when it is delicate.

Yes, I would be concerned, because frankly I don't think rings like yours *can* be structurally sound - designs like that go against everything I ever learnt in my structural engineering classes.

But if you are insistent on the delicate aesthetic you need to be prepared to either deal with structural problems as they inevitably arise or never wear your ring. Cosmetic dints and dings - well, they're inevitable whatever the style, unfortunately!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, GORGEOUS ring you have there! It looks very well-made, but I see your concern about everyday wear. Maybe getting your jeweler to look at it for you could give you some reassurance. If he feels that durability is going to be a real issue, the other halo you posted would be beautiful as well. :)

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307811366|2943322 said:

And find another project to work on :rodent:

Most people aren't checking their rings through a loupe regularly and so soon, you only just got this recently. You are saying these are only cosmetic scratches and only visible through a loupe. I think you have to be realistic, this is an ornate, intricate setting, if you hit it, albeit accidentally, it's not going to come out unscathed under the scrutiny of a loupe.
Take care of it, get it checked out once a year to make sure nothing is loose and most importantly just enjoy it ;))

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a good idea! I would go for the re-do so your halo is more secure and less delicate.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is wearing very well. Doesn't bang around and doesn't have any melee on the profile. But then again I don't loupe mine all the time either. Sometimes it's best not to know....

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need to wear it and enjoy it. When there is an actual structural issue and not just a cosmetic issue you only see through loupe, I would then go for a reset.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Way too obsessive.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
it does look really delicate and i wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it on a daily basis. i don't doubt that at some time or another, one of those little melees will come out, things will get bent, etc. the ratio of metal to stones is very small.

i think you're on the right track re: this sitch. yours is definitely the kind of setting that WILL get knocked on things.

the one you've posted is a nice alternative. much sturdier.

good luck!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1307795054|2943195 said:
I'd talk to Steven and see what he recommends. For whatever it's worth, I love the scallop detail on your ring and if Steven says that it's structurally sound, I wouldn't worry about little dents that can only be seen with a loupe.

This. . . exactly!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous. I would check to see if they think your ring is structurally sound and if you get an affirmative response just enjoy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results