shape
carat
color
clarity

Comps for this MRB from Diamonds Direct?

cnguyen1104

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

My FF and I are finally starting to shop for our engagement ring! I would just like to thank everyone on here for all of the useful information. We are trying to go into this as informed consumers and we have surprised a few consultants with our knowledge thanks to you guys! I have been a proponent for going with PS vendors, but we have been shopping around to see a few stones to get an idea as to the size and colors that we'd like to stick with.

The other day, we visited Diamonds Direct in North Carolina and found a diamond that we both agree on to use as a center stone. Diamonds Direct happens to offer a Price Guarantee if we find a comparable stone with the same specs.

First off, has anyone had any experience with Diamonds Direct and their price guarantees?

Second, here are the GIA specs of the diamond that we looked at:
1.51ct
D
SI2 (eye clean)
Cut: VG
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 58%
Crown angle: 35
Pavillion Angle: 40.8

This diamond actually out performed the other GIA certed 3x EX stones that we looked at and it scores below a 2 on the HCA scale.

Can we please have some help in finding some comps out there for this diamond?

Thanks so much in advance for all of your help!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does it say for the girdle? Because something is kicking that diamond into the very good cut category so there is a negative there somewhere.

Need the diameter measurement, also.

cnguyen1104

Rough_Rock
It's slightly thick to thick - what does this do to the diamond? I know to watch out for very thin girdles to girdles that go from very thin to thick, but what happens when it's just thick?

GIA cert # is: 2137648768 for reference!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thick girdle may hurt diameter. What is the diameter?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm curious too, do you have a link to the report?

edit: opps sorry just saw you listed the report number...

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I just ran it through facetware and it appears that it's the slightly think/thick girdle that is knocking down to VG

the proportions are 7.32x7.35x4.51 which is right where a 1.5 should be.... :confused: Perhaps there is evidence of girdle enhancements? can you get an idealscope image of this stone?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Oops.. I forgot to hit send on my post. Dup now :razz:

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
girdle thickness is definitely one of the factor that causes the stone to fall short of excellent grading.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price? Diameter?

cnguyen1104

Rough_Rock
The price given to us I think was 13300-13500? FF has the exact details and diameter I believe as charmy posted earlier is 7.32x7.35

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I have dealt with Diamonds Direct here in Birmingham, AL. I can honestly say that they are wonderful. I was very specific about what I wanted and the price range I had in mind, and my SA was able to find not one, but 4 stones that were awesome! I was even about to go up in carat/diameter waaaayyy more than I ever imagined. =) Also, their upgrade policy is the absolute best! You will get 100% of what you spent to put towards something else -- no exclusions or rules like "double the price/size" (like the little blue box store...) ;))

I haven't personally tested their price match policy, but I know of 2 couples that have taken advantage of it. Both of them said it was the real deal and that they had no problem getting DD to honor it. One couple saved about $300 and the other couple saved almost $800! :appl: I do think that you have to match "apples for apples," meaning that you can't get expect them to match a GIA G SI1 with an EGL or IDI price difference with the same specs (which is totally understandable).

Good luck in your search! Let us know how everything turn out! :wavey:

cnguyen1104

Rough_Rock
msop04|1367186622|3436265 said:
OP, I have dealt with Diamonds Direct here in Birmingham, AL. I can honestly say that they are wonderful. I was very specific about what I wanted and the price range I had in mind, and my SA was able to find not one, but 4 stones that were awesome! I was even about to go up in carat/diameter waaaayyy more than I ever imagined. =) Also, their upgrade policy is the absolute best! You will get 100% of what you spent to put towards something else -- no exclusions or rules like "double the price/size" (like the little blue box store...) ;))

I haven't personally tested their price match policy, but I know of 2 couples that have taken advantage of it. Both of them said it was the real deal and that they had no problem getting DD to honor it. One couple saved about $300 and the other couple saved almost $800! :appl: I do think that you have to match "apples for apples," meaning that you can't get expect them to match a GIA G SI1 with an EGL or IDI price difference with the same specs (which is totally understandable).

Good luck in your search! Let us know how everything turn out! :wavey:

Thank you SO much for letting me know about this! It definitely won't hurt to give it a try. We are also looking into Good Old Gold as they carry the Tacori setting that I want :) Thank you for all of your help guys and I'll be sure to come back with the finished ring!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
My sister who lives in St. Louis said that a diamonds direct is opening up a store there. So what was the verdict on this dealer?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
OP, I have dealt with Diamonds Direct as there is a big store in our city. I am not a big fan. My studs came from there, and a few months ago I was in the store looking around as a first step to upgrading to 2 ctw.

First, the sales associates are frustrating. Never have I been in a store where I was more aware they worked on commission. I felt like the product. And this is not from one trip into the store, but multiple trips over years. Their competitiveness and eagerness to make a sale makes me less likely to trust them.

Second, I was looking at fairly big stones for earrings. One carat per. And the SA I was dealing with had no certed stones to show me, and when I asked about it, saying I wanted to see measurements, her reaction was to scoff and ask why I would want certed stones for earrings. “These are plenty sparkly,” she said.

Now, I’m sure I could have taken it further and talked to someone else, and maybe they would have called stones in. But that left a bad taste in my mouth and made me resolve to go the Whiteflash route in the future even if there is a cost premium. And even if I can’t use my upgrade.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old stone from 2012. Looks like a possible return/trade-in/trade-up situation. Not sure if that bothers you, but seems like prudent information.

Looking at the inclusion plot, I'm wondering if all the crystals is causing light performance issues; therefore, creating a VG cut/polish/symmetry rating on the GIA cert.

For the VG on the HCA I think it's not liking the high crown, high pavilion and depth combined.

Capture.PNG

2137648768.png

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I know that the original post was from 2013, but I go to St. Louis a lot,and wanted to know about the vendor. My sister loves bling, and I wouldn’t want her going into an untrustworthy venue.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that the original post was from 2013, but I go to St. Louis a lot,and wanted to know about the vendor. My sister loves bling, and I wouldn’t want her going into an untrustworthy venue.
I was referring more to a comment on the diamond from 2013.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, my bad @Wewechew. I didn't pay attention to the post date. Although the diamond was also a little old even in 2013.

FWIW I went to a DD here locally. They were nice enough I suppose. Typical sales approach and wasn't impressed by the SA lack of detailed knowledge. When using their scope the manager who was also a gemologist came over to help and we had a good hour long conversation before my girl gave me "the look". Guess he enjoyed the conversation too, he gave me a card and asked if I would be interested in working for them. :lol-2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I have dealt with Diamonds Direct as there is a big store in our city. I am not a big fan. My studs came from there, and a few months ago I was in the store looking around as a first step to upgrading to 2 ctw.

First, the sales associates are frustrating. Never have I been in a store where I was more aware they worked on commission. I felt like the product. And this is not from one trip into the store, but multiple trips over years. Their competitiveness and eagerness to make a sale makes me less likely to trust them.

Second, I was looking at fairly big stones for earrings. One carat per. And the SA I was dealing with had no certed stones to show me, and when I asked about it, saying I wanted to see measurements, her reaction was to scoff and ask why I would want certed stones for earrings. “These are plenty sparkly,” she said.

Now, I’m sure I could have taken it further and talked to someone else, and maybe they would have called stones in. But that left a bad taste in my mouth and made me resolve to go the Whiteflash route in the future even if there is a cost premium. And even if I can’t use my upgrade.

Oh wow... sorry you had such a frustrating experience with them, @Tonks. That said, I know what you mean about having more knowledge than the SA. If you are on PS for a while, you will find that will be the case in a lot of places, unfortunately.

However, it's your money to spend and they cannot make you spend it. If they aren't showing you what you want to see, then you need to ask. I've found that you have to go in knowing what you want them to show you. When I did my upgrade, I was very specific... My SA (for the big upgrade) sent me straight to the VP (not sure if it was bc they were going to have to call in larger stones that met my very specific/picky requirements, or if he thought I wasn't serious). Regardless, they found stones that met pretty much all my criteria.

You have to remember that they are dealing with the general public, most of whom know very little... unlike PS members. This means promoting GIA XXX, which is much better than most jewelry stores will carry. Also, they try to read the customer to see what is most important to them or the intended wearer. And for the general public, they actually do a good job of educating the consumer. So... if you go in and tell them exactly what you are looking for, they likely won't have those diamonds already set into earrings/rings/pendants/etc, but they will produce stones with your desired specs -- even if they have to call them in, which takes about 3-4 business days (the next week).

So is DD a trusted vendor? To me, yes. Can the SA's be frustrating for PS members wanting to purchase PS-picky stones? Yep. Although the floor SA's may not be as educated as you are, this doesn't mean they aren't trustworthy. They have no idea what level of "diamond savvy" you are... so show them by being specific and adamant in what you are looking for in a diamond. If you're not comfortable with using what you know to have them access the best diamonds, then DD may not be for you. But by having the education you do, you're already ahead of the game no matter where you shop... so use it there or anywhere. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's best to start a new thread rather than to post a question on a very old one, because many people will dismiss the thread because it is so old. The OP is unlikely to even be around anymore. You can do a search for Diamonds Direct on google and some threads from PS may even come up. However, Diamonds Direct is fine, there's one in the city nearest me, but she may be able to do better in price online. At the very least, come here with the stone she is considering and provide the GIA report and price and we can find her price comps. Maybe that way she can negotiate the price down!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, diamond seeker!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results