shape
carat
color
clarity

Completely Bummed About Dress Alterations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
So i took my dress to get altered last night and the dress maker told me that she couldn''t make the back fit and keep the back in the same shape / style. I''m so bummed, it never occured to me that this might be a problem. There is no time to take the dress to anyone else as the wedding is in a week.
Even when there was a good chance that i wouldn''t even have a dress, i wasn''t as stressed out as i am now.
15.gif

The dress before..

hotbackofdress.JPG

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry
15.gif
Even though it''s not what you wanted, you still look beautiful and you''re going to feel gorgeous on your wedding day for sure.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Oh what a shame! Its a lovely lovely dress though and you will look beautiful. I see why you wanted to keep the V and think I can tell why the seamstress thought it wouldn't work (though I am no expert) so I think this is just an unfortunate twist.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Hm, since the fabric is sort of gathered at the waist, could she add two panels of that fabric to narrow the V? I assume the structural integrity of the straps was what made it impossible to angle them after shortening them so much. What about chiffon or lace panels insert to create that V shape? It won''t be exactly the same, but it could be very pretty.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, that's disappointing
7.gif

It does look beautiful on you though, as it is now, if that helps!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
8.gif
I am sorry. You have an image in your head and suddenly you know it won''t be that anymore....but the dress is still really lovely--and you have a gorgeous figure and your back (which is going to be what most everyone is looking at during the ceremony) is going to look beautiful whether it''s in a V or inverted V/square shape. But I really am sorry.

I think Galateia offers an interesting thought though....What the seamstress did was structural. But...I wonder if any extra fabric could be added to do something purely decorative?

No matter WHAT happens you will be stunning. Hang in, honey.
36.gif

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
HOT...you look simply stunning in your dress! (from the front as well as the back!)

The reflection in the mirror is the angle everyone is going to see and remember! You are going to be magazine cover beautiful! I had to re read and re read to even comprehend what your issue was.

You see, your back is so lovely I actually think this new alteration is more flattering! If that small difference was necessary to get the front as perfect as it is, it was worth the change! Yes it is different, but with your back you should embrace it!

Honest...it is so pretty. The back almost looks more grecian goddess or more ethereal...really.

Blue Roses was right...hang in there honey! I think your focus should be directed elsewhere. This is not worthy of your stress...Embrace it!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I know that it is just a little thing but it''s really bothering me! ha ha.
4.gif

Thank you Lucy, Cara, Yssie, blueroses and casablanca for your thoughts that it still looks good! My MIL said she thought it looked better too, but i did think that she may have been trying to appease me. You''re right blueroses, i have been picturing it for 9 months and now it is just not the same. I will get used to it though!!

Galateia, i think the reason it can only be altered like that is because there is no waist in the dress, it is one whole length. The panels probably would creat a V effect again but I should be happy that you can see more of my back now anyway, since backless is what i am going for!
1.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Can she not remove the applique at the shoulder, shorten the strap there, and then put it back? Your dress is a Maggie, right?

Most of her beadwork is sewn on to tulle and then added. I imagine that it could be done this way.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s still gorgeous! No one will know that the dress was to come to a complete V. I''m so jealous that you can even rock the backless look!

The dress is stunning, front AND back!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOT, I''m of no help, but I did want to say that your dress looks stunning on you. I know the back''s different from what you imagined it to be, but it looks damn hot (for the HOTtie that you are
2.gif
) as is too.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 9:31:10 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
Can she not remove the applique at the shoulder, shorten the strap there, and then put it back? Your dress is a Maggie, right?

Most of her beadwork is sewn on to tulle and then added. I imagine that it could be done this way.

Ditto. Are you sure of her abilities? I know you are stretched for time but a few quick phone calls and perhaps an email or two with the pics you have might get you another answer? I really think she could come up with a better way, but then again, I am not a dressmaker.

ETA - I just looked at those pics again and I personally wouldn't be letting her do that to your dress. Surely she can take it up from the top? It loses it's effect and looks like she has just pinned it up in a rush job. Sorry to be so frank, but I would want the truth!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 9:55:32 PM
Author: honey22

Ditto. Are you sure of her abilities? I know you are stretched for time but a few quick phone calls and perhaps an email or two with the pics you have might get you another answer? I really think she could come up with a better way, but then again, I am not a dressmaker.

ETA - I just looked at those pics again and I personally wouldn''t be letting her do that to your dress. Surely she can take it up from the top? It loses it''s effect and looks like she has just pinned it up in a rush job. Sorry to be so frank, but I would want the truth!

Seriously? If that''s how the dress is constructed, good grief- find yourself a second opinion, and if you must have alterations done at that store, bring them the second opinion and get a different seamstress, they probably have more than one of staff, or ask for your alteration money back.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
That''s too bad. If I were you, I would definitely get a second opinion, so you at least know for sure that is your only option before you alter the dress. Not that it would be the end of the world, if that is your only option, but it is just such a shame after all the stress you went through to finally get your dream dress.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

Yeah my dress is a Maggie. The dress is already pretty tight under my arms, there wouldn''t really be any room to fit my arms in if she was to shorten the straps.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Don''t stress about it. You still look awesome in it! And only the people who have seen the pictures will even know it is not in its original form.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

ETA - I just looked at those pics again and I personally wouldn''t be letting her do that to your dress. Surely she can take it up from the top? It loses it''s effect and looks like she has just pinned it up in a rush job. Sorry to be so frank, but I would want the truth!
She did!!

She made my SIL''s wedding dress, bridesmaids dress and MIL dress so she did come recommended, I am worried that if i ask for a second opinion and then no one else can do it she wont want to do it either. Apparently she is a very good dress maker, but she was a little on the crazy side!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think it still looks great! You''re gonna look stunning! I see why you would want to keep the back the same, but I think the new look is just as nice!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your compliments Travel goddess, karma_s and monkey princess!! That's really really sweet of you. Thank you for making me feel better about the dress.

ETA Thank you luckyshe!! I think once i get my head wrapped around it being different i will like it.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry about this, HIT. However, I do think it still looks gorgeous, even with the squared off V in the back.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 10:51:42 PM
Author: hawaiianorangetree

She did!!

She made my SIL''s wedding dress, bridesmaids dress and MIL dress so she did come recommended, I am worried that if i ask for a second opinion and then no one else can do it she wont want to do it either. Apparently she is a very good dress maker, but she was a little on the crazy side!

Yeah, I realise that but what I meant was it might look the same way when she is done KWIM.

I saw your post about the dress being too tight in the arms to take up, that makes a difference I guess.

I have been thinking about it since I posted, and having the two pics right there made me feel the way I did, but the more I think about it, you are not going to have a picture of the way it was supposed to be, so people are not going to compare. It''s still gorgeous and you look stunning in it, I just meant that if I had a choice I would have preferred another option.

I hope I havn''t made you feel worse about your dress. Honestly, when all is said and done, you are going to look like a knockout and your hubby might just have heart failure when he sees you in that gown!
11.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 4:52:59 AM

Yeah, I realise that but what I meant was it might look the same way when she is done KWIM.

I saw your post about the dress being too tight in the arms to take up, that makes a difference I guess.

I have been thinking about it since I posted, and having the two pics right there made me feel the way I did, but the more I think about it, you are not going to have a picture of the way it was supposed to be, so people are not going to compare. It''s still gorgeous and you look stunning in it, I just meant that if I had a choice I would have preferred another option.

I hope I havn''t made you feel worse about your dress. Honestly, when all is said and done, you are going to look like a knockout and your hubby might just have heart failure when he sees you in that gown!
11.gif

Aww thanks Honey! I understand what you meant about the first option being better than the second, and you are also right about the second one still being pretty. On the day it wont matter, and that''s what matters right?
2.gif

I have been pestering MIL about the dress maker all day saying that i am not too sure about her and she keeps reassuring me that she is a professional and that everything will be done beautifully. I guess i am just going to have to have a little faith!!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
HOT, I''m sorry that this happened
7.gif

Either way, you look so beautiful!!!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
HOT, I like your new dress better
11.gif
It makes your waist look very small. Now you own an original desing
31.gif

gls

Shiny_Rock
HOT, You look absolutely HOT in your dress!!!
Dont worry about the alterations I think it still looks amazing and suits you to a t.
IMHO I think that the squared off back looks better, however if its not too late and you still want the v-neck, would the double sided tape work?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
You look stunning, and will no matter what.

I totally see why you''re upset though, and definitely encourage you to get a second opinion. To my inexperienced eyes, it looks totally fixable

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry you are dissapointed HOT, but i really love the back just as much with the alterations as without! you look beautiful
30.gif

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
It''s such a gorgous dress! Try going to someone else! There''s got to be SOMEBODY that can fix it the way you want it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results