shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparison Photos of my Victor Canera, SK, Leon Ring Setting

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Comparison Photos of my Victor Canera, SK, Leon Ring Set

well, gypsy, i'm done responding to your sinister comments.

here are my last words : simply put - why should it be my responsibility as a customer (especially to be paying this level of price point) to REMIND the jeweler and to ASK for basic, fundamental requirements on a ring that any decent jeweler should be able to accomplish? you are basically saying that I should specifically ask for a "perfectly circular" halo, melee diamonds to be of the same size, prongs to point at a consistent direction, prongs to hold the center stone securely, that one side of the halo should have the same angle tilt as the other side of the halo, otherwise i shouldn't expect that to be accomplished ? Wouldn't you think that this is questionable if a "perfectly good" jeweler cannot perform the aforementioned unless he is asked to do so?

anyway, this thread is really aimed to compare the 3 rings that were made by 3 different jewelers for the several PS'ers who have asked for it, that's all. I really do not want to turn this thread into some malicious, sarcastic bickering.

p.s. SK's "progress" photos actually show evidence of casting. unfortunate for you to believe them as hand forged.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Frankie,

The comparison of the three settings is very interesting! I'm admittedly rather obtuse when it comes to jewelry, and can really appreciate your attention to detail.

Would you happen to have "real-life distance" pictures of each setting to show further comparison? I'm interested in learning what the naked eye would observe, arms length away.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

yenny and phoenix, i'm sorry to hear of your less than pleasant encounters i'm very surprised to know about this because i was graciously treated by SK when i first contacted him. I'm psyched to see your pieces very soon ! :appl:

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

luv2sparkle, i totally agree and understand your frustration when you pay so much money and don't get the results.it's one thing when an artistic execution doesn't meet expectation due to a miscommunication, it's another thing when the setting is lop sided and not symmetrical.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

All three rings are beautiful in slightly different ways. I think for consumers interested in this style of ring, it will be good for them to see all three side by side like this as stylistic examples.

I do think that consumers need to understand that most rings will not stand up to scrutiny with a loupe or close macro photography. My advice is always to use just your eyes to assess a piece and leave the loupe out of the equation completely. In fact, don't really study the ring from 1 inch away either. For those interested, there was a thread a while back about the difference between loupe finish and eye finish to rings, and the latter being a very rare bird that you will usually pay a lot for according the Gary and other experts. To me, even looking at these three examples in macro photography here and in the original threads in which they were posted, all three pass the eyes only test. Deviations in the micro millimeter between one shank and another, one prong and another, or the like, especially if they can only be seen under the loupe of after staring at the piece for a very long time from very close distance, are likely acceptable to all but the most discerning customer.

I think if a consumer wants to use a loupe to view their pieces and enjoys taking macro images on their rings or examining them very close for extended periods, this is something to discuss up front with a vendor to ensure that they understant the extent to which their work will be scrutinized. Some will decline work when a consumer is so picky -- I recall a case where Mark Morell turned away a PS client whom he perceived to have expectations that he could not meet (rightly or wrongly). But it is best to be up front. In a similar vein, if during the planning process you find that a vendor/artisan is refusing to do a ring the way you envision, and those elements are important to you, best to move on as well, since I think those types of "compromises" can lead to unhappiness down the road.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Please keep it civil everyone. This is not a place for personal attacks.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

dreamer, great points. definitely something to think about especially for those like me who are such perfectionist that is crazy detail oriented.

with LM, i spent over 2 hours in his office convincing him on setting my stone higher than he normally would, and then it was impossible to reach him until the ring was completely finished. with SK, i paid him 5 visits before the ring was finished, and went back to him 2 times to "fix" the prongs and also the cutdown pave that felt a bit scratchy on the shank before i moved on. with VC, i sent him a 7 page document with photos and descriptions, one 30 min. phone call and 98 emails in total throughout the process.

while i did not literally warn the jewelers that i would inspect my piece closely with a loupe, after in-depth communications as such i would have thought they already had that in mind when they handed me a work order to sign. so i guess yes, lesson learned, that one will have to literally voice this to the jeweler before any commitment.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D|1317612739|3031775 said:
if during the planning process you find that a vendor/artisan is refusing to do a ring the way you envision, and those elements are important to you, best to move on as well, since I think those types of "compromises" can lead to unhappiness down the road.

a really great point !!! :wavey: very expensive lessons finally learned !

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is why I would never go custom with Leon or SK, because there are no returns if you aren't happy. :errrr: And they probably are not very agreeable to a redo. I remember when Boom was so unhappy with her spinel (I think?) halo from Leon. He basically told her, "too bad, that's your ring."

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1317620200|3031823 said:
That is why I would never go custom with Leon or SK, because there are no returns if you aren't happy. :errrr: And they probably are not very agreeable to a redo. I remember when Boom was so unhappy with her spinel (I think?) halo from Leon. He basically told her, "too bad, that's your ring."

I have never commissioned anything custom either for similar reasons. I like to see the finished piece before hand! So I will just buy other people's custom works ::) Let them go through the pain.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There have been some *great* points made here, and certainly some lessons to be learned. I've read Frankie's posts as her expressing her thoughts on her own experience with all 3 artisans, and other PS'ers can take what she's said and interpret them and do however they like.

I, for one, am grateful for Frankie's posts and find them informative. I personally don't think Frankie's posts alone would persuade another person to definitely go with one artisan vs the others. For example, even after Frankie had posted abt her disatisfaction with SK, I still contacted him abt my current project, as I'd seen many other PS'ers being happy with him and his work. It was only when he was less than gracious with me (and again I thought I was very polite with him, we were just discussing pricing and hadn't even got to discussing the details of the piece I wanted to have made) that I decided to take my business elsewhere.

Just like LM has been trashed and praised many times here on PS, that didn't dissuade me from going with him. It was only with my last LM piece, a 3-stone ring, that was not well excuted (including sidestones set unevenly, one sitting up higher than the other - and one can clearly see this even without the aid of a loupe) and repeated clearly stated expectations not followed, that has made me decide that most likely (though I should never say "never") I will not be going back to Leon. It was my less-than-stellar personal experience with LM has pushed me towards the direction of another artisan.

But generally I agree that one should state one's expectations upfront, in minute details, to try and minimise the possibility of the piece not turning out exactly as one expected. Even then, that risk remains with going custom; so that point is indeed well-made.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock

You see, I don't find the comparison interesting. I find it overkill. But then, I liked the first two settings, then the Michael B, and all three of the halo resets, so what do I know?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock

frankiextah|1317614627|3031789 said:
... with VC, i sent him a 7 page document with photos and descriptions, one 30 min. phone call and 98 emails in total throughout the process.

Did I read this right? is it ninety eight emails or was supposedto be 9 emails? If it's 98 emails, that's a bit much!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

WOW, the difference is SO noticeable. I also would not be pleased with the way that LM works. I don't like that the haloes are not totally round on his or SK. I get that that's part of handmade but it's one thing to have little nuances, and another for them to not be round and smooth. The way the diamonds are set into the halo...I can hardly tell, I think in person I might be able to. Either way I am very pleased with the work VC did on tihs last one, though I like the SK a lot as well.

I am glad you are happy with your final product, it's AMAZING.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Amethyste|1317652389|3031968 said:
... with VC, i sent him a 7 page document with photos and descriptions, one 30 min. phone call and 98 emails in total throughout the process.

Did I read this right? is it ninety eight emails or was supposedto be 9 emails? If it's 98 emails, that's a bit much!

I have no doubt in my mind it was 98 emails as this is probably the 50th thread I have seen on this topic. OP I do appreicate the comparsion pictures as it helps to see the micro pictures- though all 3 are beautiful. Glad you finally love the latest installment of your ring. I hope it brings you great joy and that you stick with this setting a little bit longer then the rest! :bigsmile:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

Sarahbear621|1317654273|3031998 said:

I have no doubt in my mind it was 98 emails as this is probably the 50th thread I have seen on this topic. OP I do appreicate the comparsion pictures as it helps to see the micro pictures- though all 3 are beautiful. Glad you finally love the latest installment of your ring. I hope it brings you great joy and that you stick with this setting a little bit longer then the rest! :bigsmile:

98 emails are indeed quite a bit much. Every custom project of mine (rings, pendants, bangle) took no more than 40 emails, from initial inquiry to final payment & shipping & expressing my gratitude (or dissatisfaction).

All the 3 rings are gorgeous. Although I like VC's the most, I think the comparison is a bit unfair. The 3 rings were not made at the same time. Instead, they were made one after another. If the previous two rings were not made at all, the OP might not be able to communicate what exactly she wanted to VC, and thus the result might be quite different.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cookie|1317669922|3032231 said:

98 emails are indeed quite a bit much. Every custom project of mine (rings, pendants, bangle) took no more than 40 emails, from initial inquiry to final payment & shipping & expressing my gratitude (or dissatisfaction).

All the 3 rings are gorgeous. Although I like VC's the most, I think the comparison is a bit unfair. The 3 rings were not made at the same time. Instead, they were made one after another. If the previous two rings were not made at all, the OP might not be able to communicate what exactly she wanted to VC, and thus the result might be quite different.

We're drawing lines on what is too many emails? Come on...that's just silly. Who cares? My custom ring to Leon took about 5 emails and 1 phone call. That makes 40 look ridiculous no? Not trying to pick on you at all, but just making a point that everyone does it differently and if the vendor doesn't care, then 1000 emails it is! :cheeky:

I like the comparisons...find it interesting. Not every day around here that someone makes the same style ring with three different vendors using the same stone and allows us to compare the results. Plus these are three vendors that are of high interest around here!

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock

Just my two cents: I hate to see this turning into a critique of frankiextah's process (re: # of emails) or personal requirements for satisfaction with her ring. This may be an unfair assumption, but I gather that most Pricescopers are a bit more strict about their stone/setting requirements than the average bear. Maybe some of us fall in a more extreme category of perfectionism about jewelry, but the general public would probably think that we're all a little wackadoodle. So does it matter that frankiextah emailed VC x number of times in order to get her perfect ring? Not really. All that matters is that she ended up with something that looks perfect to her... and that no vendors were harmed in the process.

I think this comparison is very helpful. I think all three vendors produced a lovely product. And I am really happy that you, frankiextah, have a ring that you are proud to wear and find no fault in. :appl:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

TravelingGal|1317671671|3032255 said:
Cookie|1317669922|3032231 said:

We're drawing lines on what is too many emails? Come on...that's just silly. Who cares? My custom ring to Leon took about 5 emails and 1 phone call. That makes 40 look ridiculous no? Not trying to pick on you at all, but just making a point that everyone does it differently and if the vendor doesn't care, then 1000 emails it is! :cheeky:

I like the comparisons...find it interesting. Not every day around here that someone makes the same style ring with three different vendors using the same stone and allows us to compare the results. Plus these are three vendors that are of high interest around here!

I am not trying to draw a line here. It's not my business to care how many emails were exchanged between the jeweler and the customer. However, I do want to say that my custom pendant to LM only took a few emails as well, in addition to a couple phone calls.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's really interesting to see and read about the differences. I find it incredibly fascinating to hear what others don't like and why! The LM setting (to me) doesn't have a halo that's too thick because that would give extra durability - something I think that in striving for "thinness" we lose! The SK prongs are waaaaaaaay too skinny but OMG the halo and side diamonds are just to die for! Overall, put a bit of fat on those prongs and that'd be my choice of the 3! The VC ring I'm struggling with because I don't care for the slope of the halo and it looks too thin. I do hope that it stands the test of time but I'd be nervous about the durability.

So, as I said, I found this thread fascinating and it's not often you get the opportunity to see three rings made by different artisans and be able to appreciate their work. Thank you very much for posting and I'm glad that you love the VC version.

sparky6

Rough_Rock

These rings are all stunning. But I see what you mean regarding the Victor Canera setting, it just looks very clean and perfectly angled. I am also a fan of the SK setting, that is gorgeous as well! Good job!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Frankie,

First, I have to admit, when I saw all of your past posts complaining about your rings from LM and SK I thought you were certifiably NUTS. Especially louping SK's ring with a 30x and worrying about it a few months after you got it, I honestly assumed you suffered from incurable dissatisfaction :roll:
I stand corrected, LM's ring appears boxy to me when compared to the others, it's the least attractive to my eye.
SK's ring looks beautiful, if not a little top heavy, but still very pretty on first impression. I did not know it had poorly matched melee that are set crooked and now I see what you mean. That would really bother me personally also, it's below par to my standards, there's really no excuse for this.
I also had contacted SK on a custom ring and was very happy with his service, he was very pleasant and I had no issue with him.
However, when I discovered he was being accused of using cast parts in at least some of his rings, I contacted him to ask him outright if that was the case and he didn't deny it, he just replied that he doesn't use pre-cast or pre-fabricated parts on his rings. So he does in fact use cast parts, just not pre-cast/pre-fabricated. I made a choice not to go with him.
I'm sure he wasn't betting on people taking their rings apart and discovering this post production, as a couple of PSers have done.

At the end of the day we all have a choice in who we wish to commission to create our rings, posts like this helps us choose the best fit for our needs and personal preferences, whatever they may be....

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

I like the VC the best but I too would worry about it's durability.

Nevertheless, I really appreciate your comparison photos frankie. Good to see the differences should I ever get a halo (no plans yet I admit!)

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

iluvcarats|1317651996|3031967 said:
You see, I don't find the comparison interesting. I find it overkill. But then, I liked the first two settings, then the Michael B, and all three of the halo resets, so what do I know?

i initiated this thread as a response to several people on PS that have specifically asked for this, and for those who might also be interested in seeing the comparison.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Is is just the picture or are the VC prongs not symmetrical against the shank?

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

it is 98 ! and counting even after the project ! many of these emails were also initiated by VC who educated me on the hand forge ring making process and i so happened to be extremely interested in learning this process. I believe that he enjoys communicating with me talking about jewelry as much as I do. i know this because he would on the side send me videos of his newly completed projects so that i could ooh and ahh about. We still email each other frequently and i'm glad to have gained a friend as well as a jeweler for my future projects.

to further respond to several comments here (even though i feel that this is really off topic to my original intention of the thread), it seems as though i am at fault if i "under communicate", and also at fault if i "over communicate". so what am i supposed to do ?? it seems as though i am accounted for not telling SK to specifically make my ring symmetrical and perfectly round, and am also accounted for sending VC too many emails. and yes i know with going custom i am taking a risk regardless how good a jeweler can be, that the piece may not be 100% fulfill my expectations on certain design elements, but it is another thing if the piece at the basic level doesn't even come out as symmetrical and even - LM's having excessive, uneven metal between the main stone and the halo (i'm not even talking about the thick metal on the lip, straight struts, large donut), and SK's having dangerously thin prongs that point at inconsistent directions as well as a bumpy halo :knockout:

for those who wondered why i did not return to SK to ask him to revise my ring, again, I did go back 2 times addressing the prongs and the scratchy ring shank. but as soon as i realized the ring was partly casted it just pretty much ruined it for me to go back for any other revisions.

lastly, while I am happy to see that so many here have voiced their opinions, I'd really appreciate it if everyone can just stay on topic and not go overboard in evaluating how i should have or should not have dealt with my personal experiences. this is a thread where i am merely showing comparison photos of all 3 rings and stating what i liked and not liked about them. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frankie, thanks for taking all this time and energy to post this thread. I think the info contained here is invaluable to others who want to go the custom route and especially for those who want a halo ring. I am sorry some people have been judgmental when all you were doing was being generous and kind in posting this info. Congrats on having the ring of your dreams! It is a gorgeous ring and may you wear it in good health and happiness!!

kimber418

Shiny_Rock

Frankie,

THANK YOU SO much for posting the comparison post on this thread of your halo pave settings. I have absolutely loved following your re-makes and the likes/dislikes of the jewelers you have used. I personally learned so much from your beautiful photos and easy to understand explanations of pave, halos, etc. I personally am having a ring made right now by Victor almost exactly like yours. It is not for me......My future son-in-law asked me a few months ago to help him get a setting for my daughters engagement ring! I knew she wanted a pave halo and I was thrilled to follow your posts all the way through your halo journey (including your MOMS!) I did talk to both Stephen and Victor before making my decision. I persoanlly have nothing but wonderful things to say about Victor. We do not have the ring yet (very soon) but I feel I owe so much to you for all your help through this project. I feel bad that your are being judged by others and I do not think it is necessary or even relevant. In fact I feel it is rude.

Please understand that more people on Pricescope are thankful for your reviews and I myself feel like you helped my more than words could ever write. Thank you so much. I will always appreciate your threads and posts as will many others on PS. I promise to send you a photo of my daughters engagement ring after he proposes (or maybe before!) HAH! HAH!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is such a cool thread! Thank you for sharing this info, Frankie.

You inspired me to start a new thread in Hangout about the custom ring making process so everyone can share their experiences. I think we can help people ask the right questions before they undergo the process, and possibly avoid remakes, if we share our stories.

Thanks for putting this together, I bet it took a lot of time!

ETA: I love all of your settings, to be honest, and I think each has beautiful elements.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

I also wanted to say thank you for this post, Frankie. It's really invaluable and I really appreciate you putting it all together and sharing...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results