shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing per carat prices on Blue Sapphires and Red Spinels

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
All things being equal, can the experts please let me know how much I would expect to pay per carat for a medium quality blue sapphire and a red spinel.

Thx

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price per carat depends on the carat weight. The larger the stone, the more $/carat it is.

What do you consider medium quality? Are you familiar with the GIA grading? It would help if we followed the same colour standard as a starting point.
Saturation?
Hue?
Tone?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Plus it might depend if the sapphire was treated not. What I would do is start looking around and do some comparison shopping. There is a list of colored stone sites at the top of the colored stone forum. You could start with some of those. AJSgems.com is pretty easy to navigate around, cherrypicked.com is fun too. Thenaturalsapphirecompany.com has a large selection of untreated sapphires but some of the cuts are a bit funky so you really have to look around.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 8:15:16 AM
Author: Chrono
Price per carat depends on the carat weight. The larger the stone, the more $/carat it is.

What do you consider medium quality? Are you familiar with the GIA grading? It would help if we followed the same colour standard as a starting point.
Saturation?
Hue?
Tone?
good question. and don''t forget extinction and windowing.

i saw a spinel that was $1800 small and not too bad but still with at least 50% extinction across the stone: dealer was fully aware of what he had and stated with less extinction or none at all that particular stone would be thousands more. in my mind that $1800 stone was low to middle of medium quality. but that is my mind and eye which will be different for each of us.

mz

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Look at the blue on this one. It''s very pretty. Sapphire Platinum Ring
Lot # RG10110 on this page http://www.kashmirblue.com/Jewelry/liquidation.html

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I think... all things considered... a fine blue sapphire will still outprice a fine red spinel any day of the week. And... of course a certified Kashmir origin will blow ANY spinel of "equal" quality out of the water ANY day of the week...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 3:26:05 AM
Author: shaunrice
I think... all things considered... a fine blue sapphire will still outprice a fine red spinel any day of the week. And... of course a certified Kashmir origin will blow ANY spinel of ''equal'' quality out of the water ANY day of the week...
Yes, there is no question that any fine unheated blue sapphire or ruby will well outprice a red spinel of equal quality, hence I believe spinels are underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results