shape
carat
color
clarity

Communication issues with jeweller

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
I''ve comissioned a ring with a jeweller whose work I long admired. I was hoping this would be the beginning of a nice working relationship for many years to come. Initially, the communication was a bit slow but effective. However, I have received no reply to my last 3 emails sent over the past 2 weeks. They weren''t overly long or demanding; I was asking for some photos if possible, and an update on the progress as the ring was meant to be with me by now. In the last email which I received 2 weeks ago, I was told the (already late) ring would be on the way within a couple of weeks, but I haven''t heard a peep since.

On the one hand I don''t want to appear like a pest, but on the other, I am quite disappointed. After the fantastic, friendly and professional service from the likes of Whiteflash and Brian Gavin, this is really poor. I appreciate someone being busy, but this sort of behaviour isn''t helping IMO, because had I received a reply to the first email, I wouldn''t have sent the others.

I am curious how common this is? Has anyone else had a similar experience? How did you handle the situation?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon Mege?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 1:28:17 PM
Author:dinamit
I''ve comissioned a ring with a jeweller whose work I long admired. I was hoping this would be the beginning of a nice working relationship for many years to come. Initially, the communication was a bit slow but effective. However, I have received no reply to my last 3 emails sent over the past 2 weeks. They weren''t overly long or demanding; I was asking for some photos if possible, and an update on the progress as the ring was meant to be with me by now. In the last email which I received 2 weeks ago, I was told the (already late) ring would be on the way within a couple of weeks, but I haven''t heard a peep since.

On the one hand I don''t want to appear like a pest, but on the other, I am quite disappointed. After the fantastic, friendly and professional service from the likes of Whiteflash and Brian Gavin, this is really poor. I appreciate someone being busy, but this sort of behaviour isn''t helping IMO, because had I received a reply to the first email, I wouldn''t have sent the others.

I am curious how common this is? Has anyone else had a similar experience? How did you handle the situation?
Call them up and try to speak to themm some jewelers don''t like writing or answering emails.
It really is jeweler specific and also if there are still delays than likely they haven''t responded to you because the ring is not finished. I would just call them for an update.

Good-luck,
CCL

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/22/2009 1:33:43 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Date: 10/22/2009 1:28:17 PM
Author:dinamit

Call them up and try to speak to them some jewelers don''t like writing or answering emails.
It really is jeweler specific and also if there are still delays than likely they haven''t responded to you because the ring is not finished. I would just call them for an update.

Good-luck,
CCL
+1~

I agree with CCL.
In fact, sometimes emails get moved automatically to a spam box - and that could have happened with your letters- or even possible responses.
I''d call them and speak to someone- for your own benefit.
If a phone conversation does not produce satisfactory answers, then steps may need to be taken.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Lol Kenny, no it''s not Leon Mege, though I am aware of his reputation and that''s partly what got me wondering how common there issues are? Thanks ChunkyCushionLover, I will make the call later this evening (I have to wait as I live on another continent!) but I hate the fact that I already harbour some negative feelings and I am not looking forward to the call. I know I shouldn''t feel this way before I find out if there is an explanation....It''s just that the wait has sort of killed the excitement I had for the ring.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Does the person answer his/her own e-mails? Or does a staff handle the e-mail? Small business owners who do everything themselves, from sales to bookwork to customer relations, are really busy.

Sometimes people are out of town, too, and can''t respond to e-mail for one reason or another.

Also, is the person you are working with doing the work him/herself or do they work with a bench? Oftentimes the owner of the business can only give estimates to when work is going to be finished because they can''t control how fast the bench is able to complete things.

Custom work takes time, and some businesses are better about sending you photos, updates, than are others. I guess I''d just want the work to be done right, and if there''s a delay, that''s unfortunate, but I''d rather it be right than rushed!

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks David; I don''t think the emails have ended up in the spam folder as they have received my emails in the past...and they are definitely not in the spam folder at my end. Sara, you are right, the jeweller runs a small operation; makes the pieces and deals with emails etc. I can imagine that he is VERY busy, which is why I''ve tried to be understanding and not hound him, but I still feel he should have managed one line in 2 weeks...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’ll pile on with the above in suggesting a phone call. Skill as a bench jeweler, skill at running a business and skill at handling email are definitely different skill sets and although they certainly can occur in the same individual, I wouldn’t assume that lack of one is evidence of a problem with the other.

Also in defense of bench jewelers, most of us spend our days with a computer rather close at hand and email is a constant thing. This is basically impossible for a benchie because their ‘desk’ is full of things like torches, metal filings and expensive little parts, all of which can damage a computer quickly. The result is that the computer is in the other room and when you’re at the bench doing things that actually produce revenue it’s easy to neglect things like email and lump it into the category of things that you’ll get around to when you finish all of the customers 'real' work.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others that a phone call may be more useful. It is also possible that since he/she is a one-person, small operation, he/she is buried in e-mails and yours was overlooked.

There''s definitely a skill to managing e-mail, and not all people are good at it.

Even in this day and age, there are people who don''t realize that a reply within 24 hours is considered the "norm" by most people. Even if it''s a reply that says "I don''t have an answer for you yet, but I''m working on it."

I think sometimes vendors don''t realize that when an e-mail goes unanswered, it makes customers worry that something is wrong.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/22/2009 4:48:01 PM
Author: dinamit
Thanks David; I don''t think the emails have ended up in the spam folder as they have received my emails in the past...and they are definitely not in the spam folder at my end. Sara, you are right, the jeweller runs a small operation; makes the pieces and deals with emails etc. I can imagine that he is VERY busy, which is why I''ve tried to be understanding and not hound him, but I still feel he should have managed one line in 2 weeks...
You''re welcome dynamit!

I''ve experienced times where a client who''s written us in the past emailed subsequently to have the second letter go into the spam folder- after the first one came through unhindered.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Neil, Sara and David; you all made very valid points. I am pretty sure that the jeweller waits until eves when the ''real'' work is finished to get on with emails, and that they are a very hard worker, BUT, as Sara rightly pointed out, a holding reply would have been better than no reply; no reply raises alarm bells (well, at least in my head). Coincidentally (or not) I got an email this evening. I couldn''t believe my eyes when I saw it in my inbox! Maybe the good Pricescope vibes helped
2.gif

Anyway, I am pleased to say the ring is finished and should be heading my way over the Atlantic in the next couple of days. I can hardly wait!

(Excited) dinamit

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that''s great news! I''ll be looking for photos on SMTR!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I had a similar experience with a jeweler. Worst of it .. when I finally got the ring .. I nearly cried because I hated it.

Sorry to be so negative. Hang in there ...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2009 10:22:01 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I had a similar experience with a jeweler. Worst of it .. when I finally got the ring .. I nearly cried because I hated it.

Sorry to be so negative. Hang in there ...
oooh Charmy- I am so sorry about your ring. did you recycle it? - End ThreadJack

Dinamit - I''m happy for you, I was going to reply about my experience but no need now. Can''t wait to see your ring... yay!

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sara, you kind of started the whole thing with the return of your 0.53 Infinity, although I ended up getting another diamond in the end. When is your new beauty going to be ready?

Oh no CharmyPoo, I can only imagine how upsetting that must have been for you! Were you able to return the ring? I hope the ending will be different for me but I am a little nervous. The ring I ordered is an existing design and looks great in the pics, but you never know what it will look like on the hand, right?

D&T, I would love to hear your story regardless; it all goes into the experience folder
1.gif
. I am relieved and excited about the ring arriving very soon, but still a little disappointed about the working relationship. I guess I will get over that if the ring is as gorgeous as I think it will be, and at least in the future I''ll know what to expect. Btw, did I ever mention that we have veeeryyyyy similar taste? I love your jewellery and most of the pics you post!

dinamit

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an experience that got dragged out an additional 4 months so I totally get your frustration. nip it in the bud!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 5:19:16 PM
Thanks Sara, you kind of started the whole thing with the return of your 0.53 Infinity, although I ended up getting another diamond in the end. When is your new beauty going to be ready?

Oh no CharmyPoo, I can only imagine how upsetting that must have been for you! Were you able to return the ring? I hope the ending will be different for me but I am a little nervous. The ring I ordered is an existing design and looks great in the pics, but you never know what it will look like on the hand, right?

D&T, I would love to hear your story regardless; it all goes into the experience folder
1.gif
. I am relieved and excited about the ring arriving very soon, but still a little disappointed about the working relationship. I guess I will get over that if the ring is as gorgeous as I think it will be, and at least in the future I''ll know what to expect. Btw, did I ever mention that we have veeeryyyyy similar taste? I love your jewellery and most of the pics you post!

dinamit

Hi, dinamit -- I just saw your question about my ring. Wink says it should be ready any day now! I''ll make sure to post pictures in SMTR. Fortunately, it seems to be on schedule.

I know how hard it is to wait -- I had one custom design project that took over 3 months! It was reaaalllly hard to be patient in that case (this was a local jeweler but she was, at the time, a one-person business, and she was just overwhelmed with work.

I''m curious -- what stone did you end up with? And how are you having it set? I saw a thread awhile back that you looked at my former Infinity stone, the .53, but decided against it because the J color wasn''t for you. But I don''t know that I saw what you chose instead.

Good luck and can''t wait to see pictures!

DavR

Rough_Rock
I can''t imagine waiting 3 months! I am having a hard time waiting the 3 weeks for my custom setting... 1.5 to go. I am taking the wait and hope approach although I have contemplated contacting the jeweler to see how things are progressing. My guess is that the jewler would have more information to give you near the end of the estimated time frame.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it''s hard to wait, DavR! And 3 weeks is a pretty fast turn-around, in my experience!

Dinamit - any updates on your ring??

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2009 5:19:16 PM

1.gif

dinamit
haha... I figured we have similar taste whenever I see your posts and I''m sure this one will be a beauty
2.gif
! I cannot wait to see it! so when will you get it? I"m anxious as well.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Puuf, here I am! My son has been sick the last few days so I haven''t been able to spend much time on PS. Nice to read all your posts ladies.

Sara, the 3-month wait would kill me but I am not a very patient person. Congratulations on your wonderful ring! I will post more in your thread.

Well, the good news is the ring arrived today after being held up for a couple of days in customs!
36.gif
The bad news is that I haven''t had the time to ''bond'' with it cos of all the baby sick
8.gif
. Also, the ring looks different than I expected from the photos, and I am not sure it suits my hand at all; I think it would look nicer on someone with long, slim fingers. I guess that''s always the risk you take buying unseen, and since it''s not a classic design, I couldn''t try on on similar styles first.

On the other hand, the ring is beautifully crafted and the diamond is a stunner; I ended up going for a 0.62 G SI1 ACA. I chose it over the 0.53 Infinity because of the slightly larger size and lower clarity (it is totally eye-clean), the colour was sort of a bonus. I didn''t mind the J at all, in fact I thought it was a nicer diamond than an E coloured Infinity I viewed at the same time.

D&T, I hope you like the ring but I know it''s not to everyone''s taste. I attach a file pic as I won''t have a chance to take pics of my ring for a couple of days. My ring is in white gold (the yellow gold is delicious, I know, but wouldn''t match my other jewellery), and the stone is obviously smaller (I think the one in this pic is about 1ct).

So much for now, I promise hand shots soon. I''ll be intrested to hear your opinions on whether it looks different from this pic to you too.

P.S. I don''t believe it, but I already managed to make a tiny scratch with my other diamond when comparing colours, and I haven''t even worn it properly! Grrr! Anyone know the best way to remove scratches from WG? Do I have to replate it?

dinamit

Paisley2_preview.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That''s a gorgeous design! I hope you come to like it better once you''ve had a chance to get used to it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Dinamit -- I went looking for this thread to see if you posted a picture of your new ring here -- and, wow! I have to say I love that ring. I love how the diamond is "nestled" inside of it. Is the top of the ring open? It''s so organic and sensuous. More pictures on SMTR, please!

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sara,

Thanks, I''m glad you found the design attractive. Yes, the top of the ring is open, and the back is a little bit too. One of the things I love about the design is how the diamond is set; I suppose it''s a sort of channel setting, and when you look at the ring from the side, you can see the whole diamond, which is just wonderful and I can''t stop looking
1.gif
. The ring is very fluid and tactile, and growing on me by the hour now that I accepted it''s different from what I had imagined but still very beautiful.

No thread in SMTR yet I''m afraid...my little boy is still feeling poorly and I haven''t been able to take any daytime shots. I''ll play around with the camera now to see if I can get a half-decent one but I don''t have a good camera at the moment, which doesn''t help matters. I really want to do the ring justice and take some good snaps. I won''t keep you waiting much longer, I promise
12.gif

I just looked at your amazing thread once again...what a ring...I could totally detect some lion in you
2.gif

dinamit

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Dinamit, for your compliments on my ring -- and I got a chuckle from your comment that you sensed a little Leo in me! Hmm, perhaps you are also a Leo?

Anyway, "fluid" is a very good word for your ring design. It is so elegant, but also very modern and chic. I''m glad you are loving it more every day that you wear it. I hope your little boy feels better soon. I''ll keep my eye out for your thread with photos.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
I guess it was a bit of a giveaway, but yes, I am a Leo
1.gif

Here is a sneaky preview of the ring; no SMTR-worthy pics I''m afraid but at least you''ll get the general gist.

Thanks for your wellwishes for my son''t health...it''s taking him a while to get over this cold....

All the best,

dinamit

Imported-Photos-00004_resized.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Ooooohhh, Dinamit, so you are a Leo! Some of my best friends are Leos. They know how to have fun! Your ring is gorgeous. Your photo is just fine -- please take some more photos and post them in SMTR. Your ring is so graceful, and I''d like to see it from every angle. I can''t'' get over how the diamond is just nested in the setting -- it looks like there''s nothing holding it in place, like it''s floating. Just beautiful.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE YOUR RING DINAMIT!!!! more pictures
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results