shape
carat
color
clarity

committment issues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
need to vent....

I''m feeling so much anxiety about all of this it is ridiculous. I am not enjoying this like I should. I think a part of it is that I see women here changing things around and doing this then changing that, and I am so conflicted. Let me see if I can explain... On the one hand I think going into a setting or diamond knowing that you can change it or upgrade it is great because whatever committment you have toward your ring is transitional if you don''t love it. Change this, tweak that, make this bigger, make this smaller... etc. If you don''t love it you can change it. Now, I don''t really work that way. Once I have something I grow to love it so much I never want to change it. I KNOW i''m like that but that also makes me really bad at decision making.

First of all my stone. I love my stone. I loved it the moment I opened the box. I did. The first time I took it out into the sun I was truly awestruck at what it did. then the doubts crept in... was it good enough? did all diamonds do that? I have compared it to diamonds *all* over portland and the only ones that really give it a hard challenge have been rounds about 3 carats and a good 3x more than what I paid. So basically, I cannot get a better stone. I love the shape. Even if I could afford a 50k stone, it would be round and while I like them, it''s just not the shape I want on my finger, and never ever ever was my whole life. So... I know I need to stop doubting but there''s still a few days left on my return policy and I feel like I''m painfully letting them tick away so I can just accept I''m "stuck" with it and embrace my happiness LOL UGHGHGHGHGH!!! I''m a dork.

Then there''s the ring. That''s even worse. The options are endless. And I already spent more on the stone than I was supposed to for the whole ring, so my husband is wiggly. He wants to keep it under 3000 preferrably at 2000. But he''ll also pay whatever it takes for me to be happy. It''s hard for him to think that something utterly worthless (clear pebbles pffft) is gonna cost him 20k. I see his point... BUT BUT BUT just like you all, I want this and that''s what money is for. To buy things you like. He readily admits plunking money he didn''t need to on a convertable. I call this my convertable. (btw the stone and the convertable go so well together hehehehehehe). Anyway... I am now, in addition to the stone, feeling horrible anxiety about the ring. I keep thinking, oh the ignorance was bliss. I could have had a crappy .75 carat oval on my finger and a basic over the counter ring and be totally happy had I not found this place. Now there are so many options, such a huge variance in quality - and of course there''s no upgrading this ring for me. So whatever I choose I''m STUCK with. I know that whatever I choose I will grow attached to and will love no matter how flawed it is (providing it isn''t snapping in two or losing stones) and I know I can always get *another* ring, something different... a pendant... other things I can get... but this ring, this is it. So yesterday at the jewelers I''m like yanno, maybe it does need to sit flush with my other rings. Sure, this ring is like 7mm and adding the other two is like 14mm but still... what if I get a hair up my butt to wear them all? I should *plan* ahead! This is my one chance! Then there is the melee... I kind of like the taper better but I like straight too... and which is gonna look like 3 bands best, and should I do the millgrain and where should I put the engraving, should I leave the millgrain and engraving for *later* so I have less to decide now and can play with it later? Am I going to be content sending it in the mail every 6 months for a check? or should I just go buy that one at shane co that comes in under 3k where they have stores all over the west coast even if the ring isn''t perfect - but I could have it in like a week. And I wouldn''t have to think about it. But the diamonds aren''t as nice... but it''ll likely be cheaper... but it won''t ever be an heirloom to me, just a setting... and yes having an heirloom ring is important to me... my family has always been like that and my husband''s family is the opposite - they have NOTHING of family value whatsoever and he not only doesn''t value things like that he doesn''t understand it. But he loves me and wants me to be happy, truly, at any cost. And then I think I wanted this to really be from him but if he did all the work I''d have ended up with a nasty little ugly diamond from shane co in a tiffany head which isn''t bad but isn''t me. Striking a balance in all of this is driving me nuts. I feel like I have SO MANY QUESTIONS and I want so much input but I also feel like I make too many threads and still don''t get enough info. I search and search and I feel like so much of my life is on hold so I can spend time creating this ring. I really just want to get it done now, done, on my finger, so I can go back to my life of shopping and hanging out with my friends - this time with my pet rock LOL I''ve given too much time to this, and yet I feel like I cannot stop until it''s done correctly since I''m doing this for a lifetime ring, and one I plan to give my daughter. I wish I had a friend here, or a PSer or someone that I could talk to or email with and have a discussion with because my husband sucks and my friends - I don''t even want to tell them I''m getting this. Most of them don''t even know. And NONE of them understand LOL I mean are they really going to be able to answer the question, 1pointers or 2 pointers? LOL NOOOOO. The designer is great and the custom head is *awesome* and yet I''m still thinking... 4 or 8 or 4 or 8 or 4 or 8... and yet she was able to totally get how I combined the two. Cleaning slats on the side of the ring so it is solid on my finger for comfort... or cleaning access under the stones because baguettes get really dirty and need to be scrubbed even though that''s less comfortable... I was hoping the designer would be more likely to debate things but really she just wants to do what *I* like and bring it to life, giving opinions mostly about stability etc. And then I think what am I forgetting? What kind of prongs do I need for my melee?

I wish there was another board on this forum for "making" the ring. Showing the ring is like the finished product, rocky talky really should just be about diamond questions... but where are you really supposed to post about design issues?

All of this has me wound way too tightly... I want it done, over, on my finger, moving on... then I can come here occasionally and look around and comment or two and get back to normal life that isn''t totally hyperfocused around diamonds and rings!!! I know this has changed me *forever* and I will look back on it with gratitude and fondness, I just need to get through this. Ugh!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
*breathe*

I''m gonna give you an old engineering mantra that has helped me and my anxiety problem immeasurably:

Better. Is. The. Enemy. Of. Good.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE IT, Deco!
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 1:46:54 PM
Author: decodelighted
*breathe*

I''m gonna give you an old engineering mantra that has helped me and my anxiety problem immeasurably:

::sob:: I don''t get it LOL I''ll have to call my engineer husband ::duck::

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Cehra....

It sounds to me like you need a break.

I wonder if you''re burning out because you''re determined that the way you mount the stone now has to be IT....forever...your daughter''s heirloom. That''s a lot of head pressure.

If I were you, I''d put that beauty in a cheapo "temporary" setting so that you can wear it, enjoy it, become better friends with it, etc., even for a year or two before you launch into the ''ultimate mounting'' quest. (IMO this is different than setting it now, and ''upgrading/changing'' later)

This is supposed to be fun. It sounds like you''re not having any...

Just a thought..
widget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Cehra,

I know how are you are feeling b/c i''ve had some of those same thoughts myself. The more you know the harder it seems and sometimes I do think ignorance is bliss. I had my standard 6 prong e-ring for 5 years and never thought anything about it. Then I decided I wanted something a little different for the setting, more antique looking since I had an OEC stone and the quest lead me to Pricescope. I''ve learned so much here and now have a beautiful well cut stone but am stuck on the setting process. I''m not so worried about not ever being able to reset it b/c if I really did want to down the road, i would. I''m just not attached to things like that but I really do want to find a setting I won''t get bored with quickly but is still beautiful and secure enough to handle daily wear with 2 little ones running around. I think widget''s idea of putting in a temp setting so you can wear it is a fabulous idea and then just take a break from settings for a while. I''m going to chicago in a few weeks for one last shopping/setting search trip. If I don''t find something there I''m going to do exactly that. set it so I can wear it.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I can totally relate to what you''re feeling. There are some things in my life (my small house, my small diamond) I''ve had to make a decision to be content with. I really do love both my house and my ring even though they''re both tiny by PS standards, and if I''m always looking around for what I''d rather have I won''t enjoy either. I know that''s not exactly the position you''re in, but the point is--yes, there will ALWAYS be something you''ll wish was different, no matter how perfectly you make every decision.

BTW, are you in Portland OR?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 2:00:57 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
::sob:: I don't get it ::duck::
I'm not really suprised ya don't "get it" right now -- given your current "racing thoughts" state o' mind!
2.gif

When you try too hard to make things "better" or "perfect", you actually make it almost impossible to enjoy OR even GET "good". As in "good enough"/"I love it." You might end up with NOTHING ... or some ultimately unappealling combo of a bunch of features you likes individually.

When it stops being "fun" and starts being "work" .... when you're fantasizing about re-designing a web forum so as to make it easier to find like-minded souls with whom you can micro-analyze each and every facet of a single ring design project .... when you're second guessing the second guessing of your second guess ... it's *possible* that you *might* be ..

* spiraling
* holding unrealistic, i.e.: impossibly high expectations of yourself & the "ring"
* putting too much emotional energy into a piece of jewelry
* indulging in "magical thinking" about how happy you'll be if you get it "right" and how unhappy you will be if you get it "wrong"

Your stone is beautiful. You've done "due diligence" (checking other stones/ comparing). Put it in a simple solitare setting and take a break. They say you shouldn't decorate or re-design a home until you've lived in it a while ... seen how it functions. Because you are so conflicted/overwhelmed/not having fun ... I think this would be an excellent tactic for your setting hunt as well. LIVE with it. Don't try to do everything all at once, especially if you're prone to anxiety about it.

Also, please try to demystify it to yourself just a wee, wee bit. It's just a ring. It's not deciding whether to get a tumor removed, or to pull a life support tube or move cross-country, or join the miliatry.

ANOTHER TECHNIQUE I USE: besides the "better is the enemy of good" mantra ... "WORST CASE SCENARIO".

What if it *does* break in half?
What if stones *DO* fall out of it?
What if I absolutely *HATE* it in two years?

You'd just deal. The future isn't promised to any of us. And loving a ring 10 years from now certainly isn't either.

ETA: I also recommend reading this article on happiness.
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 2:17:58 PM
Author: widget
Hi, Cehra....

I wonder if you''re burning out because you''re determined that the way you mount the stone now has to be IT....forever...your daughter''s heirloom. That''s a lot of head pressure.

If I were you, I''d put that beauty in a cheapo ''temporary'' setting so that you can wear it, enjoy it, become better friends with it, etc., even for a year or two before you launch into the ''ultimate mounting'' quest. (IMO this is different than setting it now, and ''upgrading/changing'' later)

Just a thought..
widget
I suggested this to my husband yesterday... to just set the stone and do a fantastic setting for my 20th and he doesn''t want to do that. He wants the whole thing done, now. I''m pretty much getting everything I want so i''m trying to let him think he has some power in this somewhere lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 2:44:28 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Hi Cehra,

I know how are you are feeling b/c i''ve had some of those same thoughts myself. The more you know the harder it seems and sometimes I do think ignorance is bliss. I had my standard 6 prong e-ring for 5 years and never thought anything about it. Then I decided I wanted something a little different for the setting, more antique looking since I had an OEC stone and the quest lead me to Pricescope. I''ve learned so much here and now have a beautiful well cut stone but am stuck on the setting process. I''m not so worried about not ever being able to reset it b/c if I really did want to down the road, i would. I''m just not attached to things like that but I really do want to find a setting I won''t get bored with quickly but is still beautiful and secure enough to handle daily wear with 2 little ones running around. I think widget''s idea of putting in a temp setting so you can wear it is a fabulous idea and then just take a break from settings for a while. I''m going to chicago in a few weeks for one last shopping/setting search trip. If I don''t find something there I''m going to do exactly that. set it so I can wear it.
Thank you MrsSalvo :) I hope you can too! The good news for me is that I do know what looks good with the stone... having that narrowed down did help a lot... but then the parameters got so tight that custom is pretty much the only way to go and then it costs more, of course. I feel very confident about the general setting plan, just some of the details like how wide the band should be, how big the round melee should be, what type of setting for the round melee, whether it should taper or be straight... etc. Just silly details. I can''t tell you how many searches on melee I''ve done on PS and on the net (and it''s funny howmany links on google lead you right back here lol) and then of course you do a search on melee and end up in a thread about ultrasonics... all good info to know rofl!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 2:50:46 PM
Author: Christa
I can totally relate to what you''re feeling. There are some things in my life (my small house, my small diamond) I''ve had to make a decision to be content with. I really do love both my house and my ring even though they''re both tiny by PS standards, and if I''m always looking around for what I''d rather have I won''t enjoy either. I know that''s not exactly the position you''re in, but the point is--yes, there will ALWAYS be something you''ll wish was different, no matter how perfectly you make every decision.

You''re right, absolutely right... always something LOL Yes, I am, well near portland... I''m west of portland in the suburbs :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 2:52:41 PM

Date: 9/25/2006 2:00:57 PM

::sob:: I don''t get it ::duck::
I''m not really suprised ya don''t ''get it'' right now -- given your current ''racing thoughts'' state o'' mind!
2.gif

When you try too hard to make things ''better'' or ''perfect'', you actually make it almost impossible to enjoy OR even GET ''good''. As in ''good enough''/''I love it.'' You might end up with NOTHING ... or some ultimately unappealling combo of a bunch of features you likes individually.

When it stops being ''fun'' and starts being ''work'' .... when you''re fantasizing about re-designing a web forum so as to make it easier to find like-minded souls with whom you can micro-analyze each and every facet of a single ring design project .... when you''re second guessing the second guessing of your second guess ... it''s *possible* that you *might* be ..

* spiraling
* holding unrealistic, i.e.: impossibly high expectations of yourself & the ''ring''
* putting too much emotional energy into a piece of jewelry
* indulging in ''magical thinking'' about how happy you''ll be if you get it ''right'' and how unhappy you will be if you get it ''wrong''

Your stone is beautiful. You''ve done ''due diligence'' (checking other stones/ comparing). Put it in a simple solitare setting and take a break. They say you shouldn''t decorate or re-design a home until you''ve lived in it a while ... seen how it functions. Because you are so conflicted/overwhelmed/not having fun ... I think this would be an excellent tactic for your setting hunt as well. LIVE with it. Don''t try to do everything all at once, especially if you''re prone to anxiety about it.

Also, please try to demystify it to yourself just a wee, wee bit. It''s just a ring. It''s not deciding whether to get a tumor removed, or to pull a life support tube or move cross-country, or join the miliatry.

ANOTHER TECHNIQUE I USE: besides the ''better is the enemy of good'' mantra ... ''WORST CASE SCENARIO''.

What if it *does* break in half?
What if stones *DO* fall out of it?
What if I absolutely *HATE* it in two years?

You''d just deal. The future isn''t promised to any of us. And loving a ring 10 years from now certainly isn''t either.

ETA: I also recommend reading this article on happiness.
1.gif
Some of that you nailed and some of that isn''t quite me... I''m not worried about liking it when its done, once a decision is made I very very very rarely ever regret it. I am very good at embracing reality - however flawed. So once it''s done I have no anxiety about that... it''s the decision making process in the middle that messes me up... and I have to say that other part about reformatting a forum hit a little too close to home
3.gif
LOL You''re right about that. I start feeling like I need something from this place, that I need input and opinions and help and advice and encouragement from the posters here and I can''t do that. It''s totally unrealistic to think that anyone here actually cares about me, my thought process, my desires, or my ring other than to glance at it when it''s done and move on to the next one. So while it''s true that you can get help, advice, encouragement and even interest here... feeling like I NEED it is over the top. Feeling uncertain and confused and undecided is one thing... feeling needy is another and that''s the part that really sends me over the edge. I hate feeling needy and that''s exactly how I feel. So yes, you nailed that part all too well. I do disagree about putting too much emotional energy into it though... I''m happy to instill all of this emotional energy into it because it packs all the more meaning into it for me. What type of emotional energy could definitely be up for debate though ;-) Thanks deco :)

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 3:15:43 PM

Date: 9/25/2006 2:17:58 PM
Author: widget
Hi, Cehra....

If I were you, I''d put that beauty in a cheapo ''temporary'' setting so that you can wear it, enjoy it, become better friends with it, etc., even for a year or two before you launch into the ''ultimate mounting'' quest. (IMO this is different than setting it now, and ''upgrading/changing'' later)

Just a thought..
widget
I suggested this to my husband yesterday... to just set the stone and do a fantastic setting for my 20th and he doesn''t want to do that. He wants the whole thing done, now. I''m pretty much getting everything I want so i''m trying to let him think he has some power in this somewhere lol
You don''t need to either wait for 20 or do the whole deal at 15--what about your birthday
2.gif
or Groundhog''s Day or the day I just happened to find just what I was looking for?

What are the odds you''ll find the Holy Grail of settings if you HAVE to make the FINAL decision RIGHT NOW? Every time I make a decision like that, i regret it (and I''m not talking just jewelry either). Plus, my hubby has learned that if I don''t just get what I REALLY want the first time, It''ll just be a do-over later. And the fact that you''re getting tied up in a knot over this...

I picture your hubby trying to put "closure" on this whole ring thing...but will that make you happy? And if momma ain''t happy, noone''s happy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it seems like you've become a bit obsessed with the whole thing. not like many of us here aren't obsessed but you seem really CONSUMED with the whole thing. stressed out consumed. for me personally, it makes it hard for me to want to offer any sort of assistance, because i don't feel like you are really *listening*...you are still trying to figure out what it is you want inside by means of vague suggestions. and to me, i can't help with that....i don't have that type of patience. but post 2 settings you have narrowed it down to and then i feel i can be of real assistance.

it should be fun. it should not consume your waking and sleeping moments. it's just a ring. it really is. if you need a break, take it.

i always laugh when i see people freaking out about stuff like this..and totally OCD'ing all over the place about things. i do it too so i laugh at myself too. but do you know why i laugh? because i think..WOW these people (and myself) lead such charmed lives that we have no actual REAL problems to worry about, so instead we obsess over whether or not 2 pointer or 3 pointer melee in the ring is going to make us happier or sadder, or whether or not 2mm or 2.5mm is the way to go. we drive ourselves crazy over the tiny details because we have so much 'mental time' on our hands. in the 'old days' people had to worry about how to feed themselves. now we worry for weeks about what pashmina to buy to match a dress (me) or the perfect setting for the stone (you). isn't it silly in the end??

in life you have to give yourself reality checks. the reality check here for you from me, is that this does not have to be the 'end all to be all' holy grail as someone else put it. life changes!! in a few years your tastes could change too. why put so much friggin pressure on yourself to get THE most amazing perfect stone or setting ever??? in a few years that could change! just go with what you actually like and can see on your finger. all the other details are just noise. i agree with not spending more than $2k on a setting because again, tastes change.

it's easy to get bogged down in the whole tiny details of the thing. i think once you can get past looking for THE holy grail of a setting, yuo will probably figure out what you want. and there will always be something 'better' out there, surely you know that about life already....so why let this obsession drag you down. it SHOULD be fun. pull yourself away from the daily worrying about the ring and try to get a little perspective. maybe take a break for a week. or just set the stone into a temp setting for $300 and then take your time! it doesn't have to be NOW.

the other thing i wanted to add is that all the suggestions or finds by PS'ers or responses to multiple threads etc...it's all great but IN THE END IT IS ALL YOU making this decision. i always think that people have to really dig deep within to see what you really want. forget what everyone else is saying...think about what you want, your lifestyle, what makes your heart sing. that is what you will end up with.

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
"It''s totally unrealistic to think that anyone here actually cares about me, my thought process, my desires, or my ring other than to glance at it when it''s done and move on to the next one."

I posted before reading your reply above. But, do you really think that''s true (the part I highlighted)? PSers love to go back & forth on ring designs--evaluating everything and suggesing alternatives.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 3:51:17 PM
Author: ltl
''It''s totally unrealistic to think that anyone here actually cares about me, my thought process, my desires, or my ring other than to glance at it when it''s done and move on to the next one.''

I posted before reading your reply above. But, do you really think that''s true (the part I highlighted)? PSers love to go back & forth on ring designs--evaluating everything and suggesing alternatives.
Yes, I think it''s true... I think people can be interested and curious but not really concerned. I am NOT good at communicating via type. I am a talker. I feel very disconnected here and I think that''s part of my problem.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just throwin stuff out, seeing what sticks! I know I don''t really *know* you
2.gif
but I do recognize a certain similarity to the kind of internal dialogue I''ve had with myself from time to time, that I later describe as *over analyzing*
1.gif

As the "happiness" article I posted states ... when confronted with seemingly equal choices, you can usually just flip a coin & end up happy ..

2 pt or 3pt ... 3 it is!
tapered on not ... why look at that, tapered
cleaning slats or smooth ... smooth!
solid under carraige or open ..... open!

Pricescope is great because there are so many people with solid advice, personal experience & good taste. BUT ... people tend to advocate what they themselves have, what they''ve already chosen and, just like you ... people become fond of what they have. Are open sides better than closed ones ... one person says yes, one person says no ... one person who has had both says yes ... one person who has had both says no.

These just truly aren''t "better" or "worse" choices that you''re down to now ... they''re PERSONAL "what do I like" choices. You can decide who you want to believe, or choose from your gut. Your gut got you an AMAZING one-of-a-kind showstopper stone most of us would BID WAR you for. I hope your spinning mind lets you keep it ... and your hubby gets a clue that a decision made in a bling-fueled haze might not be a sane one ... and perhaps lets you postpone the setting choice until your GUT weighs in again.

9.gif

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 4:00:20 PM

''It''s totally unrealistic to think that anyone here actually cares about me, my thought process, my desires, or my ring other than to glance at it when it''s done and move on to the next one.''

Yes, I think it''s true... I think people can be interested and curious but not really concerned. I am NOT good at communicating via type. I am a talker. I feel very disconnected here and I think that''s part of my problem.
Well, I''m sorry I missed you when you went to Greenlake Jewelers. If you make it up to Seattle again, we could have a mini GTG. And if you brought your camera...I''ve been holding out on something
11.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 4:01:03 PM
Just throwin stuff out, seeing what sticks! I know I don''t really *know* you
2.gif
but I do recognize a certain similarity to the kind of internal dialogue I''ve had with myself from time to time, that I later describe as *over analyzing*
1.gif

As the ''happiness'' article I posted states ... when confronted with seemingly equal choices, you can usually just flip a coin & end up happy ..

2 pt or 3pt ... 3 it is!
tapered on not ... why look at that, tapered
cleaning slats or smooth ... smooth!
solid under carraige or open ..... open!

Pricescope is great because there are so many people with solid advice, personal experience & good taste. BUT ... people tend to advocate what they themselves have, what they''ve already chosen and, just like you ... people become fond of what they have. Are open sides better than closed ones ... one person says yes, one person says no ... one person who has had both says yes ... one person who has had both says no.

These just truly aren''t ''better'' or ''worse'' choices that you''re down to now ... they''re PERSONAL ''what do I like'' choices. You can decide who you want to believe, or choose from your gut. Your gut got you an AMAZING one-of-a-kind showstopper stone most of us would BID WAR you for. I hope your spinning mind lets you keep it ... and your hubby gets a clue that a decision made in a bling-fueled haze might not be a sane one ... and perhaps lets you postpone the setting choice until your GUT weighs in again.

9.gif
bahahahaha you crack me up :) Yes, I''m keeping the stone... and I will feel TONS better about it in a few days when the 30 day window runs out - don''t ask me why, I know that''s weird... but it''s true LOL once the clock ticks away and I''m optionless suddenly the clarity sinks in and joy is free to roam. It''s really pathetic. Good thing I''m not big on regret LOL!! bling fueled haze haha... that''s great!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 4:07:09 PM

Well, I''m sorry I missed you when you went to Greenlake Jewelers. If you make it up to Seattle again, we could have a mini GTG. And if you brought your camera...I''ve been holding out on something
11.gif
oooh sounds mysterious! We''re planning at least one if not two or three more trips up there. I think next time we''re going to go for a weekend... we used to live in bremerton and haven''t been back there for 10 years... be fun to take the ferry with the kids :)

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 4:13:00 PM

Date: 9/25/2006 4:07:09 PM

11.gif
oooh sounds mysterious! We''re planning at least one if not two or three more trips up there. I think next time we''re going to go for a weekend... we used to live in bremerton and haven''t been back there for 10 years... be fun to take the ferry with the kids :)
We''re pretty much around town until soccer season is over. Three games on a Saturday really kills the day!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 3:21:24 PM

You''re right, absolutely right... always something LOL Yes, I am, well near portland... I''m west of portland in the suburbs :)
We''re kind of neighbors . . . I''m in the suburbs to the east.
1.gif
I''d LOVE to see that stone in person some day!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 4:54:36 PM

Date: 9/25/2006 3:21:24 PM

We''re kind of neighbors . . . I''m in the suburbs to the east.
1.gif
I''d LOVE to see that stone in person some day!
ooooh close enough! we could meet in powells... I wonder how the light there is bahahahahaha :D

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 4:25:51 PM
We''re pretty much around town until soccer season is over. Three games on a Saturday really kills the day!
my husband played soccer but I just have not been able to pull a soccer mom out of my hiney lol I can do the swim mom thing... I love the smell of chlorine. Okay, now you know the truth LOL

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 1:03:17 PM
Author:Cehrabehra
need to vent....

I''m feeling so much anxiety about all of this it is ridiculous. I am not enjoying this like I should. I think a part of it is that I see women here changing things around and doing this then changing that, and I am so conflicted. Let me see if I can explain... . Once I have something I grow to love it so much I never want to change it. I KNOW i''m like that but that also makes me really bad at decision making.

Then there''s the ring. That''s even worse. The options are endless. ... I am now, in addition to the stone, feeling horrible anxiety about the ring. I keep thinking, oh the ignorance was bliss. - and of course there''s no upgrading this ring for me. So whatever I choose I''m STUCK with. I know that whatever I choose I will grow attached to and will love no matter how flawed it is (providing it isn''t snapping in two or losing stones) and I know I can always get *another* ring, something different... a pendant... other things I can get... but this ring, this is it. So yesterday at the jewelers I''m like yanno, maybe it does need to sit flush with my other rings.

I wish there was another board on this forum for ''making'' the ring. Showing the ring is like the finished product, rocky talky really should just be about diamond questions... but where are you really supposed to post about design issues?

All of this has me wound way too tightly... I want it done, over, on my finger, moving on... then I can come here occasionally and look around and comment or two and get back to normal life that isn''t totally hyperfocused around diamonds and rings!!! I know this has changed me *forever* and I will look back on it with gratitude and fondness, I just need to get through this. Ugh!

Cehrabehra, if it makes you feel any better I can really relate to your vent!!!! Not every detail, and fortunately most of my anxiety was before I came to PS when I was looking for something to go with my wedding ring. But still I can relate, as it is frustrating, I can relate to the "and of course there''s no upgrading this ring for me. So whatever I choose I''m STUCK with." I can relate to, rocky talk people are all too willing to help with diamonds, and SMTR people will oooh and ahhh over our rings once they''re done, but it is harder to get help with design issues, partly because it is hard to do in a forum like this I guess, and due to some things such as some mentioned above, but still I know how you feel; you just want to get opinions. (although sometimes you might almost wish you didn''t ask for the opinion... LOL!) Now I feel kind of bad because I am unfamiliar with your ring story, so I guess I haven''t been much help!! I''d be glad to give some input if I could. Also one of my frustrations is, you can ask all you want for opinions from pictures on a forum like this, but there is nothing like seeing the real thing, live and in person. And if you''re trying to design a ring, that is all the more frustrating because you can''t really see it until it''s done. Anyway, just wanted you to know that you have a sympathizer out here!! But the others have made a lot of excellent points, and I often think that when I''ve gotten frustrated with all of this, as Mara said, how lucky I am that I even have this "problem" to worry about! And not much bigger ones. (Although I have to admit it has been other (more pressing & real) problems that often seriously delay my setting quest!!)

In the end, what you can also bank on is, if, as you say, "I know that whatever I choose I will grow attached to and will love no matter how flawed it is" - keep reminding yourself of that. Because I wish I were like that; I''m more likely to say "I spent all that time and money and THIS is what I wound up with ?!?" if I''m dissatisfied. If you really have that attitude, you will be fine in the end!! Hope that helps.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 7:20:31 PM

ooooh close enough! we could meet in powells... I wonder how the light there is bahahahahaha :D
Ooh, good question. I haven't been there since before I got totally obsessed with diamonds. I was at Olive Garden today and all those little lightbulbs made my ring so sparkly I had trouble concentrating on my zuppa tuscana.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Cehra,
I am so sorry that you are feeling so weighed down in this process.

I have said a couple times in different threads, that sometimes finding PS has been a bad thing for me. Do I enjoy looking at the totally gorgeous rocks here, large and small?? um, yeah. But when I got here last October, looknig for info to upgrage my ring, I had to think about my choice. I went up in size, and down to a J in color, and not that great of a cut. While I know that it looks white in almost all lighting situtions and ''sparkles'' I know that sometimes I wish, wish it had a better cut to sparkle more. Enough to change it? Nah. I get so many compliments, especially bc 1.5 carats is huge around here (aren''t I lucky!)

I also knew that making this upgrade would be IT for this ring. Hubby agreed to this upgrade, but probably wouldn''t be too eager to do this again.

I know you are interested in making this an heirloom piece, but I have a thought. And, I do hope this won''t further worry you. What if, no matter how hard you work to choose every detail, when your daughter inherits it, it may not be her taste and she may want to change it??

I guess you need to come to terms with knowing that it may not always be the perfect setting. Our tastes do change...Decorating changes in our homes, cars, etc...

I think you should take a step back and ask yourself what is it that you want to see in this ring most, a big rock with some little bling on the side, or a big ring that just screams attention.

I am sorry you feel disconnected on this site. Honestly, I am not educated enough in the angles and specs of things so I don''t usuallyy chime in to those threads.. I am more of an asthetics kind of gal.
3.gif

I live in Ontario, Canada and I wish I was in Portland, I would gladly meet you for a coffee and talk rings...and life!!!

good luck and here is a big hug from me, your PS friend, Sophie!
35.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Cehra...I''m in Portland too! Well, suburb south of portland. Ya know...close to LO.

If you wanna meet up for coffee and vent, I live a parallel life to you...setting anxiety...3 resets later still having issues.

who knows..combining our neuroses could be dangerous. Make it a martini.

Jeannine

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I thought everyone here was in Cali or Canada!
9.gif
Any more Portlanders?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 8:27:09 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

In the end, what you can also bank on is, if, as you say, ''I know that whatever I choose I will grow attached to and will love no matter how flawed it is'' - keep reminding yourself of that. Because I wish I were like that; I''m more likely to say ''I spent all that time and money and THIS is what I wound up with ?!?'' if I''m dissatisfied. If you really have that attitude, you will be fine in the end!! Hope that helps.
This post was so sweet... thank you :) I hope the rest of your setting quest is smooth with no more rl probs or design head psudo-problems like mine LOL I still get those creeping feelings about how well rounds are supposed to perform but I try to brush them away with the fact I didn''t want a round diamond, that I cannot afford a round big enough to have chunky enough facets, and that this stone truly is unique and I just have to embrace that. It''s not like it is a dead stone with no sparkle LOL I imagine I face similar issues to those faced by emerald cuts and emerald cuts are beloved so why can''t my funky chunky OMC? LOL I feel like my stone is what would happen if an EC and a radiant had a baby lol

As for the ring... I still have some time. Finding a vendor who could source K/L/M melee is great... I have a fake oval (I find all kinds of "treasures" in my mom''s jewelry box lol) that''s almost the same size as my stone, probably 2.5 carats and it is very white and sparkly and definitely a LOT more brilliant than mine and definitely aimed to copy a D color. It looks very white on my finger where as my stone looks almost clear on my skin... ''nude'' colored. Well, nude with sparkles and flecks of violet and orange and blue and red LOL

I talked to my husband again last night about holding off and he REALLY doesn''t want to do that. So... I''m really not in a big hurry... I can take my time with this...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results