shape
carat
color
clarity

Comments on the JamesAllen Timeless Setting from real life?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chicago1234

Rough_Rock
So I could use some help/thoughts from the forum. I am trying to find an engagement ring setting for my girlfriend that she likes. So far, I've not had great luck, although she tells me I am improving, for what it is worth ;-).

The latest setting that I fell in love with was the James Allen timeless setting: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/ring/item_57-1933.asp

I just think it has such an elegant look and yet doesn't look like every other ring out there. My girlfriend likes it, but has some concerns based on the pictures that were posted here on the one thread on Pricescope that has pictures of the ring.

1) she's worried about the six prong look creating that hexagonal illusion to the diamond's shape. I definitely see what she is talking about in the one picture, but wonder if that is really the common experience of six prong rings or just that photo. Comments? Based on that one picture, she thinks she wants a 4-prong ring. However, I had heard before that 4-prong rings have a greater risk of the diamond coming loose. True?

2) She is worried that the tapering at the top of the setting would make it problematic to find a wedding band that would fit snug against it. Anyone have this ring and wear a wedding band next to it? Have pictures of that?

3) She is worried that a well cut diamond wouldn't be shown off as well in this setting. I certainly agree that it isn't on display as much in this setting, but she thinks that the setting could create light performance issues. I thought that the whole point of a well cut diamond was chiefly that it reflected the light that entered from the top back out the top. She thinks she would like this setting, but only if I go with a lesser cut diamond. Would it really be a "waste" to put a well cut diamond into a setting like this, or would it perform just as well as if it was in a classic tiffany setting?

I'm asking the above questions as much to satisfy my curiosity as anything else. I want to buy her something that she'll love and if she doesn't love that one than I won't buy it for her. But call me crazy I'd like to like it too. I find most solitare rings to be just darn boring and without any character. (Character seems to be defined as lots of pavé diamonds, which we both hate.)

So the final question, based on the timeless setting there as a hint of what I was attracted to, anyone know of any interesting solitare platinum settings, with a thin band (~2mm) and no pavé, that aren't just the plain jane settings that seem to be everywhere?

(Regarding the timeless setting, I know James Allen reps sometimes participate here. I'd welcome their comments, too.)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
She is mistaken in the well-cut stone argument, you are correct. Well cut diamond will not loose out on light return in a close setting but a not well cut will, as it requires light to come in from the pavilion to give the illusion of light return.

EDT:
6 prongs are safer in the sense that it needs at least 2 prongs to break off before the stone can fall off, if the broken prongs location are just nice, up to 4 is needed. But for the 4 prongs, once one of the prongs break off, the stone can fall out easily.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I will not by much help, as I do not have this setting, but I LOVE this setting. It''s my second choice setting, it was my first for a long time. I''ll be interested to hear the answers to the questions!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just had a thread a couple weeks ago and the Timeless was included in it. One of the things I really like about it is that it doesn''t look like a regular ole solitaire. (not that there''s anything wrong w/that!)

Regarding the hexagon look, I think it looked neat in those pictures, so that wouldn''t have bothered me. But I''ve seen other 6 prong rings and haven''t noticed that effect, so it could have just been how the pictures were taken.

I would think a really well cut diamond would be shown off in practically any setting.

You''ve come to the right place for help, at any rate! I''ll be following this thread to for ideas!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Working my way thru the 160 page SMTR thread, and found another thread about the Timeless, in case you''re still interested!

Timeless

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... she wants a tiffany style setting, plain and classic, you think it's boring and so you're still hunting? Just get her a nice four prong. What's your budget? There are some lovely ones out there that will allow for a flush fit band. That setting does create a hexagonal outline. Not all 6 prongs will though. If she wants four prongs get her four prongs... and a loupe. Have her check her prongs every so often and make sure they are tight. 4 prongs or 6-- if you don't pay attention to them, you could lose your diamond. Well cut diamonds -- you are right. That is the point of a wellcut diamond.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
If you have a platinum head I would not worry about 4 prongs at all. You will see a loose stone before a lost stone. With gold you are more likely to see complete prong failure. With platinum your prong will bend and will not likely break/fail like gold would. 4 prong settings are often made with thicker prongs when compared to 6 prong settings that have thinner prongs. Why cover up a nice diamond when the ring and diamond will be insured anyways? Insurance companies don't even decide rates based on 4 or 6 prong settings. If it really were an issue/risk, you would think they would make insurance premiums higher for four prong settings right?

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I have a 4 prong setting and love it. I agree the number of prongs gives the ring a different look. I have my ring checked regularly and insurance will cover anything else
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results