shape
carat
color
clarity

Colour Me Pink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oooh I would be upset too! In fact I''m upset for you
8.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call the PO, ask for the manager, tell them what he did and give him hell. Then tell him you want it brought to your house.
29.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is ridiculous. I agree with Ellen. Definitely bring it up to the manager. Having waited at home only for him to assume you weren''t there is quite IRRITATING!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2007 2:40:54 PM
Author: Chrono
Well, what do you think? If you don''t like it, I can take the criticism (although I would be heartbroken). I think Jeff did a great job. As you can see, the difference between the original native cut and the asscher re-cut is like night and day. Originally, I was hesitant about using the native stone because I thought the pink looked too light so I kept looking for other rough but all the rest were way over my budget (3 to 4 times the price of this baby). The recut really brought out the pinkness and I can''t wait to get my hands on it. It''ll probably be sometime next week before it gets to me though with the Monday being a holiday.
HOLY COW - that is BEAUTIFUL!

Oh my gosh - DROOLING over that stone! What a great project!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono, did you get it??

widget

Ideal_Rock
Good question, Ellen!
1.gif

Well, Chrono????????

widget

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono,
It''s cantik!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Didja? Huh? Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh?!?!!?!?!?!?
4.gif

pinkdreamer

Rough_Rock
We want pictures!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Down, girls, down!
9.gif

I picked it up yesterday and am happily admiring it on my finger in its temporary ring holder. My first impression is "great windmills".
30.gif

First off, I'm not sure if it is the cut itself or some light property of the spinel gemstone but sometimes it looks baby pink, and at other times it appears a light lilac.
33.gif
It looks best under incandescent light and indirect sunlight. More lilac with stronger scintillation under fluorescent. I am so glad I didn't choose the darker colour - it would not have showcased the asscher cutting well. The steps are very well highlighted in the stone. Love the cut but puzzled by the seeming inconsistant colour.

The second puzzling thing is that it does not behave like my other spinels. Again, maybe this is due to the cut? My red spinels have red "flashes" and my blue spinels have blue "flashes". This pink spinel flashed orange, blue, pink, yellow, purple, etc. when the sun catches its facets. More than once I wondered if this is truly a spinel. Maybe it's really a pink diamond.
11.gif
Yeah right!

The size is just right; it's not too small. Great crisp steps a foot away and I get a pretty pink with some octagon contrasts faintly visible at arms length. The mile deep look is mesmerizing - I think the royal asscher cut really contributes to that look.

I'm still test driving the stone so I'll probably have more observations to add later.

Thanks to Ellen, FG, Lorelei, Widget, PD and more for hanging in there with me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2007 9:24:03 AM
Down, girls, down!
9.gif

I picked it up yesterday and am happily admiring it on my finger in its temporary ring holder. My first impression is ''great windmills''.
30.gif

First off, I''m not sure if it is the cut itself or some light property of the spinel gemstone but sometimes it looks baby pink, and at other times it appears a light lilac.
33.gif
It looks best under incandescent light and indirect sunlight. More lilac with stronger scintillation under fluorescent. I am so glad I didn''t choose the darker colour - it would not have showcased the asscher cutting well. The steps are very well highlighted in the stone. Love the cut but puzzled by the seeming inconsistant colour.

The second puzzling thing is that it does not behave like my other spinels. Again, maybe this is due to the cut? My red spinels have red ''flashes'' and my blue spinels have blue ''flashes''. This pink spinel flashed orange, blue, pink, yellow, purple, etc. when the sun catches its facets. More than once I wondered if this is truly a spinel. Maybe it''s really a pink diamond.
11.gif
Yeah right!

The size is just right; it''s not too small. Great crisp steps a foot away and I get a pretty pink with some octagon contrasts faintly visible at arms length. The mile deep look is mesmerizing - I think the royal asscher cut really contributes to that look.

I''m still test driving the stone so I''ll probably have more observations to add later.

Thanks to Ellen, FG, Lorelei, Widget, PD and more for hanging in there with me.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
pictures....
15.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2007 9:28:11 AM
Author: Lorelei

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
pictures....
15.gif
Do you remember my recent fiasco with my camera? None of the pictures turned out. NONE!
7.gif
I spent days setting up the scene with flowers, window sills, contorting my body to get the right angles, etc. I even went to my safety deposit box to take pictures of my loose stones. I spent a good hour there and have nothing to show for it.
39.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 9:24:03 AM

This pink spinel flashed orange, blue, pink, yellow, purple, etc. when the sun catches its facets.
Your description only whets my appetite for pics...can''t wait!
3.gif

widget

pinkdreamer

Rough_Rock
If you find that you don''t want it I would be happy to pick it up!!! I actually emailed him asking about creating something similar, I hope you don''t mind!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2007 9:33:22 AM

Date: 6/6/2007 9:28:11 AM
Author: Lorelei

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
pictures....
15.gif
Do you remember my recent fiasco with my camera? None of the pictures turned out. NONE!
7.gif
I spent days setting up the scene with flowers, window sills, contorting my body to get the right angles, etc. I even went to my safety deposit box to take pictures of my loose stones. I spent a good hour there and have nothing to show for it.
39.gif
....WAAAAAAAAAH!! I sorry...
15.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Baby pink? Light Lilac (one of my FAVORITE colors)??? AND rainbow flashes??

faint3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A spinel tutorial coming up.
34.gif

1. The pink to light lilac change depending upon the light source phenomena is known as a color shift, which pink and red spinels will often exhibit (some more than others). This is because the impurity that causes pink/red coloration in spinel is chromium, which is known (along with vanadium) to cause color shift or color change in many different gemstones. This is completely natural and is simply a consequence of its composition. This is the same reason pink sapphires (also colored by chromium) tend to color shift. In addition, fluorescent light and incandescent/sunlight have different color temperatures, which can contribute to this.

2. The rainbow sparkle is seen due to two factors: the light color of the stone and the cutting. Spinel naturally exhibits good dispersion (fire), but the lighter colors tend to show this off more. This is the same reason some people prefer lighter colored demantoid garnets over the darker ones: the dark stones do not exhibit the spectacular fire that the lighter ones
do. With the cutting, the cutter used a polishing method that leaves the facets very flat. Flat facets enhance scintillation and fire considerably over those that may be slightly rounded. Obtaining truly flat facets is the obsession of many faceters
2.gif

Pinkdreamer,
Feel free to ask Jeff to recreate whatever you want. The only "payment" I ask for is that you post all about it here on PS.
11.gif

pinkdreamer

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I enjoy pictures of spinels, but as I am a newcomer to colored stones I have yet to purchase any myself. The tutorial was great!!

Jeff emailed me back (very fast response!!) and his prices are amazing. I can''t believe his beautiful work is so reasonable. I will definitely be keeping him in mind for that great pink center stone I am craving for my e-ring! I was always a fan of asschers (and pink, clearly
2.gif
) and you melded the two amazingly. I am thinking something with a tiny halo.... yum!

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
I just saw your recut and my jaw litterally dropped! I''ve never been a huge fan of asschers but that beauty has me doing a complete 180!! Can''t wait to see pics! Congrats on such a beautiful stone!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hey Chrono...I''ve been thinking about you!

Are you ever going to show us more pictures of that gorgeous stone????? Or are you going to wait until it''s mounted???
31.gif

widget

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2007 9:59:03 PM
Author: widget
Hey Chrono...I''ve been thinking about you!

Are you ever going to show us more pictures of that gorgeous stone????? Or are you going to wait until it''s mounted???
31.gif

widget
Ditto.

And have you decided on a setting??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget & Ellen,
I''ve been playing with it and wearing it about the day in its temporary holder. I enjoy its colour shift and highly dispersive light properties. I haven''t decided on the setting yet. At first I was crazy about Musey''s asscher (Vatche) setting but now I''m not 100% sure, so I guess I''m still keeping my options open. I don''t want to rush into things - I think this special stone deserves a special setting.

On a side note, I noticed that you''ve been a busy bee Widget. What''s this I see about a M. tourmaline? Fess up, lady.
11.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Chrono...you haven''t answered our question....where are more pictures???
3.gif

As to your question: no comment
2.gif

widget

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well good grief, neither of you are very informative.
25.gif
9.gif

Chrono, I don''t blame you one bit. You''re right, a special setting is definitely in order.
2.gif

Vidget, vee have vays of making you talk.....
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I love Musey''s setting!
30.gif
I''m sure that stone will be gorgeous in whatever you set it though!

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Any updates? This stone is just amazing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone.

Here''s the update on Pinkie. It isn''t set yet and all thought of setting is currently put on hold as I''ve got too many projects running concurrently right now. I''ve just purchased a 2ct Mozambique tourmaline, and have a pair of Uruguay "siberian" amethyst being cut this week. I suppose Pinkie will have to be put on the back burner with the red spinels until next year.

However...
I will bring Pinkie along to my Lancaster G2G next week with Joolskie so more pictures will be forthcoming.
31.gif

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chrono,

Just wanted to say Hi over here on this thread and congratulate you on that wonderful pink spinel recut. It is so pretty!

Best,
Kit

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results