shape
carat
color
clarity

Colorless spinels...and Bright Ice's 3 stone ring.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I saw Bright Ice's beautiful 3 stone spinel ring, with a pink spinel center and 2 colorless spinel sides. Is there a thread about this? And how to colorless spinels compare to diamonds? Thank you everyone.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know but I am also intrigued.... :read:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1339650009|3215899 said:
I saw Bright Ice's beautiful 3 stone spinel ring, with a pink spinel center and 2 colorless spinel sides. Is there a thread about this? And how to colorless spinels compare to diamonds? Thank you everyone.

Let me clarify for you that the sides in this 3 stone are actually N colored diamonds by Infinity ;))

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-pink-spinel-by-jeff-white.161611/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-pink-spinel-by-jeff-white.161611/page-2[/URL]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 3.13 ct white spinel, but I just recently sold it because I knew I'd never set it. This is just a quicky photo I took to show the new owner what it looked like, so I thought I'd share. It came with a lab report, so I'm confident that it is a natural white spinel. As Chrono stated, it did have a tinge of pink in some lighting.

white spinel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't have any colorless spinels, but I have some that are very light in tone, and when well cut, they have remarkable brilliance and luster.
Unfortunately, I have not seen absolutely colorless spinel for sale anywhere. I don't know how BrightIce sourced her stones, but the only colorless spinel I've seen was synthetic. Even some colorless spinel always has a tiny tiny bit of violet or purple in it, from what I've seen. I could be wrong, and it's more abundant, but that's just my experience.

As for comparison to diamond, unfortunately, diamonds are diamonds, and they refract light differently than any other colored gem I know, with the exception of sphalerite (a rare and very soft gem).

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I just found the other photos I took to show it to the new owner.

white spinel2.jpg

white spinel3.JPG

white spinel4.JPG

white spinels.JPG

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1339672001|3215946 said:

Let me clarify for you that the sides in this 3 stone are actually N colored diamonds by Infinity ;))

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-pink-spinel-by-jeff-white.161611/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-pink-spinel-by-jeff-white.161611/page-2[/URL]

Thanks for clearing up my confusion Bright Ice. Your ring is lovely.

Also, thanks everyone for educating me on white spinels.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Colorless spinel cut by Barry.

IMG_1914 freke.jpg

MWM2.JPG

MWM5.JPG

IMG_1913 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since I ADORE this ring and have lots of pics, here are more.

It's very different from a diamond. It's more metallic-y looking. I kind of seek out colorless stones, and spinel is my favorite, but that's true whether it's colorless or not! I feel like it's almost silvery. The tourmaline doesn't really show a lot of dispersion, and the spinel does, but it's got different visual qualities from diamonds.

People who aren't in the know think it's a diamond.

Sorry that that first picture is so blurry! I should take a better one...

IMG_1923 freke.jpg

IMG_1891 freke.jpg

IMG_1902 freke.jpg

IMG_1917 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Better comparison shot.

Diamond band, spinel, tourmaline, diamond.

Colorless4.JPG

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
TL|1339682438|3216000 said:

I don't have any colorless spinels, but I have some that are very light in tone, and when well cut, they have remarkable brilliance and luster.
Unfortunately, I have not seen absolutely colorless spinel for sale anywhere. I don't know how BrightIce sourced her stones, but the only colorless spinel I've seen was synthetic. Even some colorless spinel always has a tiny tiny bit of violet or purple in it, from what I've seen. I could be wrong, and it's more abundant, but that's just my experience.

As for comparison to diamond, unfortunately, diamonds are diamonds, and they refract light differently than any other colored gem I know, with the exception of sphalerite (a rare and very soft gem).

^I've never seen one for sale either.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
RedSpinel|1339722793|3216549 said:
^I've never seen one for sale either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-LUSTER-1-95CT-DIAMOND-WHITE-SRI-LANKAN-SPINEL-/221045570400?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337757bb60

Mai's lab reports are often from a lesser known (and sometimes disputed) Thai lab, but I've never had a problem with any stone she's sold me being fake... having said that, I bet (by looking at the photo) that this one is going to have a big window. Her photos are definitely glamour shots and more than one of her stones that I have purchased that looked great in her photos ended up having a window, but they were usually not that expensive, so I kept them.

whiteSpinelJadeKing

Rough_Rock
A big cheerful HELLO to all , just joined the group today . Been trying to study more about WHITE SPINEL but got to see some great pics of them here itself . Thanks a lot for those contributionSSS .

Just to introduce myself ...
I am a 9 to 6 corporate guy and my interest in gem stones went crazy high a few years when i found a transparent Quartz and believed to to be a large diamond until it got tested and then KAPUT ..... :). But then started the process of self learning and i normally spend about 4 hours a week studing about various gemstones . It was not surprizing that with the accidental discovery of large quantity of quartz and some white, pink and purple beryl ( found in a town rubble material brought in to make a pavement!!!)which were very clear the journey towards spirituality also started .

So , the senses drove me to a point where i started thinking ahead of a white picket fence house to making a small hospital for the needy , the reason for which is purely debilitated Saturn / Shani.

Gladly , the new addition to my discovery has been WHITE SPINEL . I am sharing a pic of a small one here for you to confirm as i still have to get the RAMAN testing done post SG tests which are positive .

There will be some big sharings ahead so do keep connected ....

White Spinel.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi whitespineljadeking,

The stone you have does not look like a spinel to me. It looks more like quartz. Also, even though your stone is included, that is big and not small for a spinel rough. Have you done a hardness test? I said so because on my screen, the stone has a modifier of brownish/yellowish color. Natural spinel hardly occur in yellow, almost non-existent (but yellow synthetic spinels are available). White spinels usually have a very faint pink or purple tinge, sometimes very faint gray/blue.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Doug Menadue has one listed on Kingstone Gems. It is described as colorless with three small crystal inclusions if anyone is interested in adding to their gemstone collections.

whiteSpinelJadeKing

Rough_Rock
Thanks Seaglow.
I was actually sensing the yellow / pinkish color after i posted the photograph whereas there is none in clear sunlight and after changing the photo setting from auto to incandescent - pls see attachments . So , i am going to post a pic of another Spinel taken in sunlight . About hardness test - yes , thats been done . One test i need to do is Raman Spectography for a clear report as i myself am in doubt with the sizes i have found which are large .

What would be a general price point for rough white spinels considering their rarity and especially in good sizes . Just need a gestimate . cheers IMG_20170512_143919.jpg IMG_20170512_143927.jpg IMG_20170512_143737.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The price for a mineral specimen is different from a gem grade. For a mineral specimen, collectors would like the original octahedral shape of spinel, while for gem grade, it's how much a cutter is willing to gamble for it based on potential gem-worthy yield and quality, Note that the degree of the absence of color in all lighting conditions will determine if it is indeed colorless or white spinel, as light pink, lavender, or gray may tend to appear white in some lighting conditions but evident on others. In such a case they will be called as they are - light pink, light lavender, or light gray spinel.

Since there's hardly any reference on white spinel, Here's a photo of a white spinel under LED light, Burmese origin, 1.68 carats.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

whiteSpinelJadeKing

Rough_Rock
Not exactly the same but see how on simple surface polishing on a part by self has cleared it almost like one you have . This stuff needs to go into an experts hand. Used a diamond coated abrasive which sells at a hardware store and just gave it a hard rub :). spinel small.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever it is, it does not appear to be gem quality rough. Even in the thin area where it has been polished, the photo makes it appear included.

whiteSpinelJadeKing

Rough_Rock
The price for a mineral specimen is different from a gem grade. For a mineral specimen, collectors would like the original octahedral shape of spinel, while for gem grade, it's how much a cutter is willing to gamble for it based on potential gem-worthy yield and quality, Note that the degree of the absence of color in all lighting conditions will determine if it is indeed colorless or white spinel, as light pink, lavender, or gray may tend to appear white in some lighting conditions but evident on others. In such a case they will be called as they are - light pink, light lavender, or light gray spinel.

Since there's hardly any reference on white spinel, Here's a photo of a white spinel under LED light, Burmese origin, 1.68 carats.

image.jpeg
Hi , This is a very fine gem quality . what is the priceline for this gem. If not exact then request a rough figure ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results