shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stone pros. What sparkles next after a diamond?

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
hathalove|1379536770|3523096 said:
Oh wow PinkJewel that ring is beautiful!!! I love the color of the stone. Do you have any other photos or a thread link that shows the stone up close?

Ok ladies if I want to look for a light green bluish garnet where do I begin? What sites should I consider first. Does not have to be a huge stone. Rather have a beautiful color that sparkles before anything else. What would a reasonable budget be? How much is a 1.5 carat mint garnet?

Have you seen this one?
http://diamondbistro.com/category/239/Garnet/listings/35802/16ct-Tanzania-mint-garnet.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1379514514|3522855 said:
I realize I have not read any of the intro pages on the forum. I'm actually running late for work. Lol

I own two colored stones in my whole collection and they definitely don't sparkle even though they are gorgeous to me rings.

I am curious what stones are next in line after a diamond. Top two or three that sparkle the most. I realize this probably has a lot to due to cut but I am curious what kind have the ability when cut well.

Helping a beginner that stands in the archway;-)
Thanks!

If you're talking about fire, the rainbow of colors that come from a diamond, than there are some stones that have more, sphalerite, cerrussite, sphene, and demantoid. Demantoid is the most suitable for setting, as the others are rather soft, although some people do have some sphene jewelry.

If you're talking about great luster and flash, I really like well cut spinels, garnets, and chrysoberyls.

HTH.

Here's a cut cerrussite, it's gorgeous, but very very soft.

I also attached a video of a sphalerite. Very soft, and unsuitable for jewelry, but a pleasure to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oq9KLrFu_4

cerrussite.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking for a sparkly mint, then the more facets, the better, IMO. I own a few mints, one of which is a step cut (from Peter Torraca as well). It is more flashy, which is beautiful in its own right, but my other two (Portuguese flower cut from Lisa Elser and one of Gene's Jua rounds) throw off sparks like nobody's business.

That LT stone looks like it might be more flashy vs sparkly. I'm thinking these aren't the technical terms for cut, but hope I'm still making sense. ;-)

I've had some nice sparkly garnets from Barry Bridgestock, too (one is currently off to be set), especially the lighter Malayas.

Lastly, spinels can be pretty sparkly, too. I have a lighter silver one that might pass for a gray diamond. :)

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1379642699|3523921 said:
If you are looking for a sparkly mint, then the more facets, the better, IMO. I own a few mints, one of which is a step cut (from Peter Torraca as well). It is more flashy, which is beautiful in its own right, but my other two (Portuguese flower cut from Lisa Elser and one of Gene's Jua rounds) throw off sparks like nobody's business.

That LT stone looks like it might be more flashy vs sparkly. I'm thinking these aren't the technical terms for cut, but hope I'm still making sense. ;-)

I've had some nice sparkly garnets from Barry Bridgestock, too (one is currently off to be set), especially the lighter Malayas.

Lastly, spinels can be pretty sparkly, too. I have a lighter silver one that might pass for a gray diamond. :)

Yes you are absolutely making sense. This is what I was trying to explain. That I want the stone to look alive and sparkly. Flashy is beautiful too but what you are explaining is what I am talking about. I researched your threads and looked at the two stones you referenced and they are absolutely stunning. Who are the cutters (not sure if that is an official proper title) I should constantly be looking at? I have heard Gene's name, first time for Lisa but LOVE that ring I mean WOW so refreshingly beautiful. I have also heard Barrys name too. Is that it? You have such a huge collection!!! Would you say that Garnets and Spinels are going to be my best bet for a well cut sparkly stone? Do Sapphires sparkle in that same way?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It now sounds as though we have not interpreted your question correctly. What you are looking for is a combination of cut and luster /flash.

1. Stones that are medium dark in tone will tend to show less of what you are looking for. Tone-wise, aim for medium and lighter.
2. Select hues that are lighter, not dark. Yellow will never get dark. Blue and red can end up quite dark. Green goes either way.
3. Garnet, chrysoberyl and spinel are going to look flashier / sparklier than sapphires.
4. Go for a busier cut or something with lots of facets, staying away from step cuts.
5. Opt for precision cut where possible.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1379680745|3524061 said:
It now sounds as though we have not interpreted your question correctly. What you are looking for is a combination of cut and luster /flash.

1. Stones that are medium dark in tone will tend to show less of what you are looking for. Tone-wise, aim for medium and lighter.
2. Select hues that are lighter, not dark. Yellow will never get dark. Blue and red can end up quite dark. Green goes either way.
3. Garnet, chrysoberyl and spinel are going to look flashier / sparklier than sapphires.
4. Go for a busier cut or something with lots of facets, staying away from step cuts.
5. Opt for precision cut where possible.

Thank you so much for this! I have stayed up late reading so much about stones. Silly to think I could just pop on find a stone and have a new ring in a few weeks. This really helps and obviously my search will be focused on those three stone types above. Nice to leave sapphires out of the mix because they are getting so expensive.

What do you think about the mint posted on the first page of this thread by PinkJewel? it's expensive so I would find a really inexpensive prong setting in rose to start with. I'm willing to do that. Put most of my budget on the perfect stone and set later or simple.

What do you think about yellows in rose gold? I can't picture it and googled but get a ton of strange rings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think PinkJewel posted several mint garnets on the first page. Can you please clarify which one?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1379682977|3524088 said:
I think PinkJewel posted several mint garnets on the first page. Can you please clarify which one?

I think she is probably asking about Gary's stone. I don't think either of the mint garnets from Hunt Country are available.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, okay. Cut is great but saturation and tone are both too light for my taste. I also prefer a much stronger blue modifier. I don't know your preference though. Is it eye clean? That inclusion across the upper right looks fairly large.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1379684628|3524101 said:
Oh, okay. Cut is great but saturation and tone are both too light for my taste. I also prefer a much stronger blue modifier. I don't know your preference though. Is it eye clean? That inclusion across the upper right looks fairly large.

His description says eye clean and also blueish green. Knowing how hard those are to photograph- I wonder if it's more blue than the photo. It looks a tad more bluish green in this photo.

ETA- OK, I just read his description again and it says eye clean OTHER than those inclusions. I missed that the first time :oops:

1637164.jpg

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry it's her last photo from fine water gems.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes like pink jewels mint that she owns. Looks much more blue to my eyes!! I prefer that too. But don't see them anywhere except in CSers hands!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1379684628|3524101 said:

Oh boy. I am looking hard and I don't see the large inclusion. That's not good for me.

I think I am going to pass anyway and keep looking. You don't recommend tourmalines for rings right? I've seen some beautiful bluish green stones but definitely not as much sparkle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two things that her stone has that is very attractive:
1. Saturation (it has more pop of colour aka less gray)
2. Tone (just the right touch that isn't too light otherwise it looks pale or washed out)/

As mentioned earlier, please contract Prima Gems because many CSers (Pink Jewel, TL, I and several others) have the best success with them for mint garnets. The one below is mine, also from PG. I consider it a mint but some call it borderline tsavorite. :confused:

mint_garnet_blue.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1379686051|3524116 said:
Oh boy. I am looking hard and I don't see the large inclusion. That's not good for me.

I think I am going to pass anyway and keep looking. You don't recommend tourmalines for rings right? I've seen some beautiful bluish green stones but definitely not as much sparkle.

There are some very lovely bluish green tourmaline and sparkly when well cut, but I find that a well cut green garnet still out-sparkles a tourmaline. They can be worn in a ring but as always, you have to be careful of what you do with your hands.

4307802_0.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your compliments. Chrono answered your questions. :)

I would also keep an eye on Jeff Davies. He has been putting out some really well cut stones. Do you like light pink? If so, there is a decent sized light pink spinel that is quite affordable, currently available in his stock, last I checked. He has videos, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results