shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stone pros. What sparkles next after a diamond?

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I realize I have not read any of the intro pages on the forum. I'm actually running late for work. Lol

I own two colored stones in my whole collection and they definitely don't sparkle even though they are gorgeous to me rings.

I am curious what stones are next in line after a diamond. Top two or three that sparkle the most. I realize this probably has a lot to due to cut but I am curious what kind have the ability when cut well.

Helping a beginner that stands in the archway;-)
Thanks!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to Ed's post, a demantoid garnet comes close as well. Why are these stones less popular or seemingly unknown? Because they are all very low on the MOH scale for everyday wear, sometimes even occasional wear too. Even within these gem families, the more colourless they are, the more dispersion you will be able to see.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, I was just thinking 'demantoid'.

Zircon is quite tough, right?

Titanite must be set by experienced goldsmith in bezel or pendant or earrings. Once set they will survive all but Hanibal Lector.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All of this is so helpful. Thank you everyone. I forget the hardness plays an important factor for everyday wear too.

Would you say that people then love colored stones because of color vs sparkle?

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will be googling all these stones. I have no idea what a demantoid is. Zircons come in all colors right so I will google that too.

I am curious Chrono and Edward and anyone else who wants to chime in...what are the most popular stones you see the colored stone Psers talking/stalking/purchasing?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
hathalove|1379522665|3522940 said:
I will be googling all these stones. I have no idea what a demantoid is. Zircons come in all colors right so I will google that too.

I am curious Chrono and Edward and anyone else who wants to chime in...what are the most popular stones you see the colored stone Psers talking/stalking/purchasing?

Sapphires . . . so many sapphires . . . :shock:

Especially since the royal wedding. :rolleyes:

Consequently the prices are very high right now for unheated, untreated stones of excellent blue.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
hathalove|1379522359|3522936 said:
Would you say that people then love colored stones because of color vs sparkle?

Bit of both probably :) I like colored stones because for a lot of less tangible reasons - personality, "mood," and color, whereas sparkle alone (white/colorless stones) is kind of one-dimensional to me.

I got a sapphire for my engagement ring that shows all kinds of different tones in different light - greyish blue, teal, straight forest green (the cool LED lights in the work bathroom really bring that out!), and the sparkle is different in different light too. It's sparkly enough, but what I love best is on a rainy/overcast day, it more "glows" than sparkles. It seems like with colored stones there's no "wrong answer," only what you find pretty. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It comes and goes; here are a few that were hot for a while. I am sure to have missed a few.
Spessartite
Pink red spinel from Mahenge
Tsavorite
Lighter or mint green garnet
Malaya garnet
Lavender blue spinel
Greenish blue tourmaline

For me, I look first and foremost for colour but I also take cut into consideration.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes everyone is talking sapphires these days. I have seen so many replicas of Kate's ring it is crazy and not all done well I must say.

I have been wearing my new morganite ring in rose gold. I have really enjoyed it a nice refreshing change from my diamond ring. However, all the pink makes me wonder if I would like to have some contrasting color with the pink. I also have noticed that my morganite has glowed more than sparkled per say something I didn't notice right away.

I will still wear it but might be interested in finding something or make something that stands out more or just has more presence or something. I can't really describe it or put my finger on it. Like I want the stone to sing more?

Anyway my initial thought was a light green stone in rose. I can't change my rose gold bands so I need the new stone to work with what I have.

I also tried on this prasiolite (sp) and likes the color but a friend told me it was a cheap stone and weak? I was wondering if the cut is what makes it less sparkly if a different cut would sparkle more?

What suggestions would you have for rose gold? I've seen some beautiful blue sapphires on here think you all call them Montana? Not your typically dark blue. But not sure how that would be in rose.

Anymore thoughts input? I have to narrow options then go on a search I don't want to be wildly searching randomly. That brings on the headaches.

_10139.jpg

_10140.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quartz and beryl are not known for being sparkly due to their lower RI, so most people typically opt for stronger colours. Certain shades tend to look nicer in rose gold; I find that anything with a slight blue modifier looks best, such as purple, green, reds and etc with a hint of blue.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about colored stones but I was happy surprised how much fire I got from my chrysoberyl

uploadfromtaptalk1379176969526.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
To add to those who mentioned demantoid (a gem that I love!) - I've also found that a well cut merelani mint will sparkle like crazy. Even some Mali garnets can have gorgeous dispersion and sparkle. I really love garnets...

I have a sphene and a sphalerite that have gorgeous sparkle too...such pretty gems. Both of mine are small, loose, and just for collecting purposes. I'd like to buy a nice big extremely well cut sphene at some point...it's on my want list. I'm not crazy about diamonds, I only buy CS, but I definitely prefer my CS to have both color and sparkle :)

Chrono, I think your list of most popular gems was pretty spot on. I know most of the gems on there are the ones I'm always chasing, lol.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
katharath|1379528145|3523017 said:
To add to those who mentioned demantoid (a gem that I love!) - I've also found that a well cut merelani mint will sparkle like crazy. Even some Mali garnets can have gorgeous dispersion and sparkle. I really love garnets...

I have a sphene and a sphalerite that have gorgeous sparkle too...such pretty gems. Both of mine are small, loose, and just for collecting purposes. I'd like to buy a nice big extremely well cut sphene at some point...it's on my want list. I'm not crazy about diamonds, I only buy CS, but I definitely prefer my CS to have both color and sparkle :)

Chrono, I think your list of most popular gems was pretty spot on. I know most of the gems on there are the ones I'm always chasing, lol.

What is the difference between a Merelani Mint Garnet, light green garnet, green grossular , Tsavorite? They are all garnets right? Is it just the color that makes them different? Also is saturation how dark or full the color is? Meaning a a light green garnet is called that because its not dark enough to be a Tsavorite? Is one more sparkly than the other. More brilliant?

Thanks for your patience everyone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:
hathalove|1379528721|3523021 said:

What is the difference between a Merelani Mint Garnet, light green garnet, green grossular , Tsavorite? They are all garnets right? Is it just the color that makes them different? Also is saturation how dark or full the color is? Meaning a a light green garnet is called that because its not dark enough to be a Tsavorite? Is one more sparkly than the other. More brilliant?

Well now, hathalove, its time for you to read the stickies at the top of the page, which answer your questions regarding saturation, tone and hue. :))

katharath

Ideal_Rock
hathalove|1379528721|3523021 said:

To be a true merelani mint, the garnet must come from that location (I think it's called the merelani Hills? It's Merelani something anyway, a specific site). I've seen garnets sold as "mints" that are just light colored tsavorites, but people usually disclose that when selling. I've also been told that true merelani mints should not have yellow secondary tones, but this is definitely not a rule that all sellers follow. I've seen many merelani mints that have yellow hues or look yellow-er in certain lighting. The best merelani mints I've owned and/or seen tend to have a hint of blue secondary in sunlight.

However I still see people who prefer to say that all mints are just light tsavs; I think there's still a decent amount of confusion out there...you'll have to take my post for what it's worth bc I'm sure there are people who feel differently than I do - HTH a bit though!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Merelani is the location. Tsavo is also the location.
Green grossular garnets are only from a specific region in Africa.
Tsavorite is a trade name to denote the darker toned coloured green grossular garnet.
Mint is a trade name to denote the lighter toned coloured green grossular garnet.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh and about the sparkle - I love med to med dark tsavs as well, but IMO you will see more dispersion in the lighter mints :)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I was also going to suggest a merelani mint garnet or light mint garnet. I think they look beautiful in rose gold!! I had mine set in a 2 tone setting with the rose gold viewed next to the gem. It is so bright and sparkly- I've had several people ask me if it's a green diamond!! Mine looks blue green in most lights, but will pick up some yellow tint in other lights. It is my favorite gem stone (other than my pink diamonds, that is =) )

Here's a picture of my Merelani Mint garnet ring.

merelani_mint_garnet_ring_0.jpg

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow PinkJewel that ring is beautiful!!! I love the color of the stone. Do you have any other photos or a thread link that shows the stone up close?

Ok ladies if I want to look for a light green bluish garnet where do I begin? What sites should I consider first. Does not have to be a huge stone. Rather have a beautiful color that sparkles before anything else. What would a reasonable budget be? How much is a 1.5 carat mint garnet?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrimaGems would be my top pick for a minty green garnet.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
hathalove|1379536770|3523096 said:
Oh wow PinkJewel that ring is beautiful!!! I love the color of the stone. Do you have any other photos or a thread link that shows the stone up close?

Ok ladies if I want to look for a light green bluish garnet where do I begin? What sites should I consider first. Does not have to be a huge stone. Rather have a beautiful color that sparkles before anything else. What would a reasonable budget be? How much is a 1.5 carat mint garnet?

I do have a thread on it if you do a search under my name, but here is a close up photo for you. Peter Torraca cut mine. They are really hard to find these days, but I agree with Chrono about Prima Gems having the best selection. Call them as not everything is on their website, Also, Hunt Country Jewelers in Virginia cut some gorgeous ones earlier this year. They have just moved and I don't know if they sell just the gems or if they need to be set, but they did look to be a beautiful color. I think I saved some photos, so let me look for them.

merelani_mint_glow_0.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
here are the 2 Hunt Country Jewelers Merelani Mint rings I kept the pictures of. I know they brought rough back, so they may have more loose stones or rough that can be cut. I love the style of these cuts- I think they call it the Jubilee.

598659_10151264199376239_40315163_n.jpg

20140.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Gary at Finewater Gems has some light grossular garnets including this 1.41ct Merelani Mint which he describes as bluish green.

4307802_orig.jpg

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this list.

http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/refractive-index.php

Hematite is actually the winner but it doesn't count because it's opaque. Casserite wins the "What?!" sweepstakes. Sphene, Sphalerite, and Zircon stand out as actually not opaque (and drop-dead gorgeous as well).

But the stand out in the "transparent, pretty, not diamond, reasonably hard" category is demantoid, as noted.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think Brad at the GemTrader had some casserite recently. I admit I was curious and tempted.

I have a nice, largish sphelarite and, oh boy! It is gorgeous. Delicate but so beautiful.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1379544388|3523173 said:

I do have a thread on it if you do a search under my name, but here is a close up photo for you. Peter Torraca cut mine. They are really hard to find these days, but I agree with Chrono about Prima Gems having the best selection. Call them as not everything is on their website, Also, Hunt Country Jewelers in Virginia cut some gorgeous ones earlier this year. They have just moved and I don't know if they sell just the gems or if they need to be set, but they did look to be a beautiful color. I think I saved some photos, so let me look for them.

Thank you PinkJewel this is such a beautiful example. I love your stone. I think the other examples you posted are beautiful stones too. I went to the finewatergems website. I wish it had more of that minty green blue color in the photo and he says on the website that he try's to show the color as accurately as possible. I wonder if it would be better to email him and see if he has other photos of that stone.

I will also be calling Prima Gems to see what they have. Curious how you feel about blues in Rose Gold?

Thanks for all the help!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
hathalove|1379595386|3523462 said:
pinkjewel|1379544388|3523173 said:

Thank you PinkJewel this is such a beautiful example. I love your stone. I think the other examples you posted are beautiful stones too. I went to the finewatergems website. I wish it had more of that minty green blue color in the photo and he says on the website that he try's to show the color as accurately as possible. I wonder if it would be better to email him and see if he has other photos of that stone.

I will also be calling Prima Gems to see what they have. Curious how you feel about blues in Rose Gold?

Thanks for all the help!

greens are notoriously hard to photograph. I would either call or email him about it since he does say it's a bluish green. Mine looks the same color as his in some lighting. About blues in rose gold- what shade are you looking at? I like some in rose gold and some-not so much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results