shape
carat
color
clarity

colored stone e-ring schitzophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gordita

Rough_Rock
Hi all- I need some help! I''m having some serious decision-making problems in choosing a colored stone e-ring. The two rings I am looking at right now are a blue sapphire in a halo-setting and a Leon Mege ring I saw on his website:
r319-31.jpg

I feel that this ring would look nicer with a lighter-colored stone (I like the lighter blue, yellow, pink and white sapphires for this setting).

For either of these I would like a larger stone...2.5 or 3+ carats.

My biggest problems at this point are a) I have no idea what I''m doing, and b) we are working with a budget of $3-4K.

Does anyone know of someone who could do a replica of the Leon Mege? He quoted at above our price range just for labor.

Any suggestions for keeping the cost down? We''re already hoping to work with CZ and white gold instead of diamonds and platinum for any work on the setting. Suggestions for less costly stones than sapphires? I love most colors, I''m mostly worried about the durability of something other than a sapphire as I''m going to be wearing this for a while.I also need suggestions for where to buy these stones- I have looked online and found some stones, but I''m not sure how not to get gyped in buying something I''ve never seen in person.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture didn''t link correctly...perhaps a link to the page, or the category it''s in? He might have an anti-ripping software thing for his images. Trust me, we will look up a Leon Mege for you.

gordita

Rough_Rock
Sorry about that. Here''s a link. I hope that works. The item number is r319-31 under Micropave/rings. Thanks for the reply!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.winkjones.com

Yellow sapphire is probably the least expensive per carat compared to blue and pink.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Your setting

yoursetttingforring.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
BTW.. why sapphire? cause it is the more common? Or cause you do not like other kinds of stones?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with widget. I would look for the setting first. That one is very unique... BUT you can find a pre-made setting that's at least similar for much less than a custom-- even with CZ's is going to cost you. The labor, not the diamond weight is what's going to get you. Then you can get a stone to fit the setting
These aren't perfect matches to the Leon Mage... but they are nice, and offered at a great price. And they are diamonds and platinum or 18K gold. All will take an emerald cut center-- and the lat one would look fabulous with a yellow sapphire center, IMO.

http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/9-Engagement-Mountings-7-2372-000-LADY-S-.53CT-DIAMOND-PLATINUM-ENGAGEMENT-RING-MOUNTING-000-.html

http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/9-Engagement-Mountings-61-2063-000-LADY-S-.43CT-DIAMOND-PLATINUM-ENGAGEMENT-RING-MOUNTING-000-.html

http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/9-Engagement-Mountings-79-1955-000-LADY-S-.49CT-VINTAGE-ANTIQUE-DIAMOND-PLATINUM-ENGAGEMENT-RING-MOUNTING-000-.html

http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/9-Engagement-Mountings-97-1747-000-LADY-S-.61CT-DIAMOND-18K-GOLD-ENGAGEMENT-RING-MOUNTING-000-.html

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here's a similar setting that fits the budget (with platinum AND diamonds):

http://www.jamesallen.com/designer_jewelry/meno_collection_by_danhov.asp?module=setting&cid=294&item=74

Instead of sapphires, you could check out spinels, aquamarines and zircons. Here's a pink tourmaline that might work:

http://www.ajsgems.com/TPK/TPK-00464.htm

...and an aquamarine:

http://www.ajsgems.com/AQU/AQU-00082.htm

With the setting and the stone, you'd be coming in at budget without having to sacrifice the diamonds/platinum. Just an idea. HTH!
26.gif

gordita

Rough_Rock
I chose sapphire because I don''t know enough about any other stones. I would be happy with one of the less expensive colored stones, but I''m not sure about durability versus the sapphire.

gordita

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the responses and suggestions! I think you may be right about the setting- at least with Leon Mege the labor was by far the largest chunk of the cost.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I''m in the process of putting together a right hand sapphire ring right now and I am also on a budget. I emailed a bunch of jewelers for quotes. One of them quoted me about half of what the others are asking if I go with 14k. I may go with them because their work looks pretty nice and the price is good. If you like I can keep you posted on the results since your looking around.

oh and I got a pretty nice sapphire from an online dealer that just happened to be in my city selling stones to retailers at the time. It was great, he laid all these beautiful sapphires ( and spinels) out in front of me and I got to take my time looking and asking questions before selecting my stone.

gordita

Rough_Rock
Yeah that would be great if you could keep me informed about your ring. I just visited a local jeweler today and showed him a picture of what I wanted- he quoted me at about half of what I had been quoted before to make the setting, and he thinks he can get some nice stones in for me to choose from...I''m thinking the convenience factor of getting it all from the same shop is overriding my desire to search for the best deal.

Also, what is your ring going to look like?

I''m curious as to how you found out that a gem dealer was going to be in your town? I''d love to be able to do something like that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw this on another thread... reminded me of the look of the yellow diamond and gold halo I posted above... set with a yellow stone. This one is a Ritani, and the stone is an oval... but it is just to give you an idea.

1CU1825DRTP_big.jpg

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a pic of my RHR. It''s a 2 ct blue topaz haloed with tiny little diamonds :)

CJS924RHR.jpg

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
...and one more..heehee...

CJS924RHR2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s beautiful. LOVE the cut on that topaz... what''s it called?

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
::scratching head:: Not sure what it''s called actually...lol. No clue...sorry
37.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a guess... rectangular cushion cut with a checkerboard top?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Cool, I''ll let you know.
As far as finding the guy with the sapphires it was luck and networking. Living in a popular city helps too. I had emailed a ton of vendors about sapphires.
My setting will actually be more simple and with less diamonds than yours. I only want them around the sapphire. I think maybe kind of like this.
http://www.bentley-skinner.co.uk/search/viewer.asp?stocknumber=12859V&drop_item=RING&drop_gemstone=Sapphire&drop_type=Cluster&nav=2&m=1

By the way I think the setting your after is really beautiful and that aquamarine ring posted above is lovely too!

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Gordita, for what it''s worth I''m having Leon make me a ring right now (a Daniel K replica) that''s going to be in the style of pave of the Leon setting you liked. He asked me what kind I wanted and I liked that setting the best as well. I should be getting it next week and I''ll post pictures then. It''s going to have a colored center stone as well so you can see how color looks with that kind of pave. He calls it ''mushroom pave'' but I think that term applies to what I would consider wildly different looks. I think it has to do with the technical aspects of how it''s set rather than something aesthetic.

gordita

Rough_Rock
Pokey- yes I would definitely like to see your ring. What kind of stone are you putting in the center? I am waiting for a quote from a local jeweler to make this ring. I know there has been a lot of discussion on other threads about having Leon Mege designs made by other jewelers and whether or not it would look the same. I''m wondering if his style of setting the diamonds is so different as to make it impossible for someone else to replicate the ring based on the picture...do you have any opinions about this after talking with him?

I don''t want to spend lots of money to get this ring made only to be dissapointed by the work...but at the same time I really cannot afford the cost of labor that Leon quoted me.

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
hey gordita,

blue sapphire in halo, just what i'm having made right now =)

have you checked the rings at the natural sapphrie company? they have a lot of halo style settings similar to the style you like:
http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nsc/Jewelry.aspx?Category=Ring

with the thin all diamond halos and thin bands
their website isn't the most user friendly so you'll have to do a bit of digging to see all of them probably

good luck!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
POkey... did you go with the tourmaline? I think it is going to be lovely. I am excited to see your ring when it is finished!~

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 11:03:34 PM
Author: CJS924
Here''s a pic of my RHR. It''s a 2 ct blue topaz haloed with tiny little diamonds :)

BTW... RHR? That is definetly E-ring worthy. I hope that you added it to the colored gemstone thread.

GORDITA.. For inspiration and to get some ideas on other stones that can be used for E-rins... check out the colored Gemstone E-ring thread in this section for some ideas. I think you may be suprised on all the variety and other stones you can use than a sapphire. You may find something you fall in love with!

Pokey

Rough_Rock
MINE - I went with a tsavorite instead - it looks to be sparklier and a little bit harder. Leon says I''ll have it by the end of next week for sure so look out for pictures. It''s going to be similar to the Daniel K Union Square setting (see earlier thread where I listened to the advice of people much smarter than I) but there''s going to be a lot more pave, because, c''mon, it''s Leon.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Not exactly what your looking for , but a sapphire with halo in the price range you''d mentioned
http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nsc/Expandproducts_jewelry.aspx
Item # is J147

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 3:48:17 PM
Author: Pokey
MINE - I went with a tsavorite instead - it looks to be sparklier and a little bit harder. Leon says I''ll have it by the end of next week for sure so look out for pictures. It''s going to be similar to the Daniel K Union Square setting (see earlier thread where I listened to the advice of people much smarter than I) but there''s going to be a lot more pave, because, c''mon, it''s Leon.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!! IS it the one that Richard Homer is cutting for you? I think that with Leon, it is going to be a real masterpiece!!!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Pokey, what size and cut is your Tsavorite? I have one ordered and should be in next week & then I will have to decide what to do with it.
19.gif
Do you have any pics of your stone/ring?

gordita.....Please do not go with CZ''s. Why not go with 14K instead of platinum. Most will not know the difference or notice. I really don''t see the big deal...but that is me. Why not use white zircon or white sapphires instead of diamonds and spend the $$$ on the CENTER stone. That is what will get the most attention!!! What size center are you looking at? That will determine the $$$ and the type of stone.The blue Topaz, pink tourmoline or Rubilite would be nice.Keep us posted.

I love the Princess Dianna style myself with the larger diamonds.Some might think that style is out dated but that is what I like!!!!

innerkitten.....You were SO VERY LUCKY to be able to pick your stone out in person.I am not so lucky where I live.Love to see pics when you get it.

35.gif
Connie

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 11:03:34 PM
Author: CJS924
CSJ, that is a gorgeous ring! In my indecisiveness about how to reset my e-diamond, I''ve tried to rule out halo''s by consoling myself that I could someday get one with a blue stone, and yours is a great example!!! Very beautiful!

conitta

Shiny_Rock

gordita

COSTAR Here are some semi-mounts you might like.....

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results