shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored gem beauties (lab-created)

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Yep. I had requirements for a shallow, but "non-boring" stone and we went through numerous options before we settled on a cut. He did a test cut in a synthetic spinel today and posted it on his facebook page. It looks really good.
This is the cut we settled on.
Screenshot_20190303-195125_Messenger.jpg

Is that a hybrid cut? Looks like a radiant pavilion and a step-cut crown. Looks like it should give a nice size stone with the low profile you want. I'm dying to see it now!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Is that a hybrid cut? Looks like a radiant pavilion and a step-cut crown. Looks like it should give a nice size stone with the low profile you want. I'm dying to see it now!
Yes ma'am, it is indeed a hybrid cut like you described. I can't wait to see it.
And I just got this rendering from David Klass yesterday evening. I think it's going to turn out wonderful!
51752-QUAD.jpg

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes ma'am, it is indeed a hybrid cut like you described. I can't wait to see it.
And I just got this rendering from David Klass yesterday evening. I think it's going to turn out wonderful!
51752-QUAD.jpg

Wow that is going to be a gorgeous ring! I love the simplicity of it but also looks like it will have substance and capture attention! Cannot wait to see the finished piece!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Wow that is going to be a gorgeous ring! I love the simplicity of it but also looks like it will have substance and capture attention! Cannot wait to see the finished piece!
Thanks. My goal was to have a ring where the stone is the center of attention and the ring was just along for the the ride. It's going to be an everyday-wear ring, so it needs to be unobtrusive with me doing my daily activities, reaching in my pockets, etc.
Now, to decide on white vs yellow gold, brushed finish, etc.
I actually think I may end up wearing it on my left hand where I wear my wedding band now and switching my wedding band to my right hand. In that case, the gemstone ring in white gold would better match my watches and watch bands, which are either stainless or have stainless clasps, etc.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
51752-QUAD.jpg

Oh I think it's going to be stunning! I think white gold will really make it pop!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In that case, the gemstone ring in white gold would better match my watches and watch bands, which are either stainless or have stainless clasps, etc.
This is exciting! I've been along for the entire ride with you. You have been patient and careful and sometimes funny. :lol: I vote for white gold or platinum. Platinum develops a patina over time, so you'd have to be sure it's what you like.
I'm a bit sad that your journey is almost over. What will you do next? You definitely need another project to keep you here.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
:appl:MakingTheGrade, your lab emerald is AMAZINGLY EYEPOPPING-WOW!!!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
51752-QUAD.jpg

Ooooh! Is this the paraiba that you were talking about setting on my emerald thread?

If so rose gold would be stunning but if you wear more white gold, then go for it!

Also everyone I'm such newb to lab stones and I personally dont think that I'm interested in collecting any (I carry the annoying mind-clean gene) but I loved loved reading this thread and seeing everyones stunning gemstones...man are they beautiful!!
Maybe someday my stubborn brain will change and if so...those lab emeralds from Gene....meow!! That color is right up my alley!

Just out of curiosity, do lab stones have any resell value?
Or are they mainly gems to collect and oogle over and set and worry less about everyday wear?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh! Is this the paraiba that you were talking about setting on my emerald thread?

If so rose gold would be stunning but if you wear more white gold, then go for it!

Also everyone I'm such newb to lab stones and I personally dont think that I'm interested in collecting any (I carry the annoying mind-clean gene) but I loved loved reading this thread and seeing everyones stunning gemstones...man are they beautiful!!
Maybe someday my stubborn brain will change and if so...those lab emeralds from Gene....meow!! That color is right up my alley!

Just out of curiosity, do lab stones have any resell value?
Or are they mainly gems to collect and oogle over and set and worry less about everyday wear?

For me it's because I can't yet afford the real thing and in the meantime if I lose it. It's way less of a big deal then if something major happened to my engagement ring since it uses an heirloom diamond. I also really love custom cuts so that is another way lab stones are awesome for me. Its much easier to get a gorgeous cut stone for an inexpensive price to tide me over for the years I have to wait for my sapphire.

I love that people are getting so into them here. For years it was natural or nothing. Don't get me twisted. I still prefer natural but I am much more open to lab now for jewellery. Just no simulants. Synthetic only.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
My stones from Gene are done (from when he was still taking custom cuts)!!!

20190308_074445.jpg

Gorgeous!! Can't wait til you see them in person!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
This is exciting! I've been along for the entire ride with you. You have been patient and careful and sometimes funny. :lol: I vote for white gold or platinum. Platinum develops a patina over time, so you'd have to be sure it's what you like.
I'm a bit sad that your journey is almost over. What will you do next? You definitely need another project to keep you here.
Funny? I try to take things lightly that's for sure. I'm known as quite the character at work with all my shenanigans.
Next? A spessartite garnet in yellow gold. A "Halloween" ring or autumn ring, since my birthday is the day before Halloween and fall is my favorite time of the year.
I have certainly enjoyed interacting with you ladies and very much appreciate your advice on my quest.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve always wondered what her settings ran. Her work is stunningly gorgeous but GEEZ! And that’s just solid gold?? :eek2:

Too rich for my blood :$$):

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
This is the one I was considering.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/537959227/cvb-id-isadora-style-medievalrenaissance

Beautiful, but I just can't stomach the price.

Every single one of her pieces is absolutely amazing, but I completely agree. Admittedly I’m also the person that grabs a pair of $4.99 slipper socks at TJMaxx and asks myself “do you REALLY need these?” And proceed to walk around with them in my cart for half an hour before leaving empty handed. :wall:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the one I was considering.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/537959227/cvb-id-isadora-style-medievalrenaissance

Beautiful, but I just can't stomach the price.

Because I am always buying new pieces and a bit of a jewelry hoarder, her work is outside of what I can spend on any single piece. That being said, I was lucky enough to pick up an Astrid during one of her LT specials and it screams "high end quality". Friends are always asking who made it and when they look at it closely, comment on the weight/workmanship. It feels like luxury wearing it and it's become a staple piece for me even though it's a moissy and all my other rings are genuine gemstones. If I were more discerning on how I spend my funds, if the quality of her other pieces is anything like the Astrid, I wouldn't hesitate to get another CVB piece.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I initially began talking to Bryan at Stag and Finch two weeks ago because they had posted an Arctic Blue Lab Sapphire and I'd been looking for something slightly darker than this shade with possibly a hint of purple. The arctic blue:
icysapphire.JPG
Bryan mentioned that he had been looking to try out a blue/purple color change sapphire, so I told him that I was interested- the rough will be arriving later this week! He's been wonderful in terms of communication and I believe he can get settings from Stuller!
Looking forward to posting pictures when I get some!

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I initially began talking to Bryan at Stag and Finch two weeks ago because they had posted an Arctic Blue Lab Sapphire and I'd been looking for something slightly darker than this shade with possibly a hint of purple. The arctic blue:
icysapphire.JPG
Bryan mentioned that he had been looking to try out a blue/purple color change sapphire, so I told him that I was interested- the rough will be arriving later this week! He's been wonderful in terms of communication and I believe he can get settings from Stuller!

Ooh sounds like it will be gorgeous! Bryan is lovely to work with :mrgreen2:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
That Arctic Blue is pretty too.

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
icysapphire.JPG

oh do be sure to post pictures! i've been curious about stag and finch's stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2F24F7D9-C297-4D42-AE12-E298530DE603.jpeg 479F081C-B4B5-4F48-86E1-E620B465F072.jpeg
YAG paraiba that really isn’t paraiba color but super intense and affordable so I love it anyway. :lol: Over 4 carats
Agreed. I think the paraiba color Garnet I've seen is much closer in terms of color. Bit this yag Is gorgeous and a great intensity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results