shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored gem beauties (lab-created)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm starting to see some great lab-created material coming from some of our well known and well loved vendors and I think we need a place to share the love for these babies. So, if you have a lab created colored gemstone, please feel free to come and share it here. :D

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here were the lab-beauties from Gene's latest drop. That emerald almost got me. Seriously, I entered all my info and was ready to press "order" right up until I remembered I had to be an adult and I don't have extra money for my bling habit right now. :lol-2:

gene 1.jpeg gene 2.jpeg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are labs still making color change garnets or Alex's? I bought a vintage one that I love. I bet the technology and cutting is far superior now.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi @elle_71125

Thanks for creating this thread and posting my new lab sapphire! I’ll come back to post pics when I get the sapphire but in the mean time hope to see other lab stones here and also how do you feel about them?

Do they deter or push you towards getting natural/mined gems? Why?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are labs still making color change garnets or Alex's? I bought a vintage one that I love. I bet the technology and cutting is far superior now.
Not sure but I bet they are, since they continue to be money makers. I’d love to see your vintage one. :love:

Hi @elle_71125

Thanks for creating this thread and posting my new lab sapphire! I’ll come back to post pics when I get the sapphire but in the mean time hope to see other lab stones here and also how do you feel about them?

I look forward to seeing you pics, once you get it. I’d love to know what you think about it. :D
I actually have two lab gems. A blue sapphire from better than diamonds and a green moissanite. The blue sapphire was used to replace my engagement ring several years ago. I couldn’t afford a 3ct blue sapphire so I went with a nice lab one. The green moissy was a LT find. I love and wear them both. :mrgreen2:

OH SH%T! That emerald would have gotten me, too! Bless, I'll be watching like a hawk from here on out... :lickout:

Right?! That color was crazy! :mrgreen2: I don’t think I could resist another emerald like that.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have 3 lab stones, pink sapphire I got years ago (sorry no photos), and emerald and blue sapphire I just got from Jeff White. Emerald is not in my possession because I sent it off to CvB to be set, so only 1 photo from the day I got it.

I was not expecting to love it as much as I did, never been much of a fan of emeralds, but stone just blew me away. I had no plans to set it but after seeing it I just HAD to wear it so off it went to be set.
20180713_105004.jpg

Blue sapphire wasn't quite what I expected and honestly I'm still getting used to it. It looks very violet in most lighting conditions, there is quite bit of gray as well. Color really shifts a lot, I see more blue outdoors and even the tone shifts from light medium to dark. Very interesting stone and of course cut beautifully.
20180713_104942.jpg
20180723_151531.jpg

I'm finding I don't mind the lab stones when they are high quality and cut by precision cutters. For stones I would normally never be able to afford in the size I want, this is a great alternative.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I'm finding I don't mind the lab stones when they are high quality and cut by precision cutters.
I agree 100% and could even state that as a scientist, I prefer the lab stones- I find it awe inspiring that we are able to replicate (and sometimes even perfect) what is made naturally. But I can't appreciate the badly cut stones or sometimes I find I don't love the color; typical lab sapphires were a shade of blue that I don't appreciate, I find they lack dimensionality, but one similar to @Babyblue033 's and I would snatch it up.

I have a precision cut YAG cut by Uli at osirisgems that I had set by DK earlier this year. YAG_set.jpg

Other precision cutters of lab made gemstones that I've found are:
Alternative Lapidary
Osiris Gems (He gets some really unique material- and his cuts.... amazing)
Stag and Finch

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
@Babyblue033 I am so in love with that sapphire lol. It's such an amazing shade I have to admit I'm envious. :kiss2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @elle_71125

Have you gotten the sapphire yet? :D

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi @elle_71125

Like @elle_71125 also curious to see more pics of this sapphire. :mrgreen2:

After seeing the ones from @Babyblue033 and @molecule I also agree that from an objective and aesthetic point of view, lab gemstones can be more beautiful than natural gems. However, they are readily available and just more uniform in characteristics, so you get less unique variation from gemstone to gemstone, less interesting to collect.

I think that hunting down rare, unique gems is fun on its own, and becomes part of a story once you set them. For this reason I want to own a real alexandrite before I buy a lab made one. For people who don't like to shop and hunt down gemstones, getting a lab stone is probably the better way to go.

I have had some more time to think about this since this thread was first created, and I don't think lab gems deter or push me towards getting natural/mined gems.

There's the joy of finding a one-of-a-kind natural gemstone, and then there's the joy of wearing a gemstone and loving it for its beauty, which is better with lab gemstones.

I think I will always collect natural gemstones for fun, and so lab gems would only be worth it for me if I wear the gemstone often. I think that as I get older and pass on my gemstones to children, I will get more and more lab stones to wear myself. For the time being, however, I hope to admire them on others' fingers.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure when the Rhodalite garnet went up, but I wish it was mine!!!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I held back on the emerald in his last drop but I kind of regretted not getting it. So when a new one came around, I went for it. No refund notice yet so here’s hoping. :D
Darn you! *shakes fist* You posted that beauty to tempt me and you had it the whole time! :lol:

But in all sincerity, my fingers are crossed for you that you got it. And PLEASE post pics once you receive!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn you! *shakes fist* You posted that beauty to tempt me and you had it the whole time! :lol:

But in all sincerity, my fingers are crossed for you that you got it. And PLEASE post pics once you receive!

A girls got to take every advantage she can. :lol:
I will definitely come back with pics....if I get it. :confused2:

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A girls got to take every advantage she can. :lol:
I will definitely come back with pics....if I get it. :confused2:
Is it confirmed yet?? I cannot wait to see pics!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 neon pink lab created Sapphires purchased from The Gemstone Project, one round and one EC. No pics on my phone to post, and I shall dig out the vendors pics from my laptop later.

Jeff White will be cutting a chubby lab created Emerald for me. No pics yet.

DK :))

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 neon pink lab created Sapphires purchased from The Gemstone Project, one round and one EC. No pics on my phone to post, and I shall dig out the vendors pics from my laptop later.

Jeff White will be cutting a chubby lab created Emerald for me. No pics yet.

DK :))

Yay. Do share when you can. I love pink sapphires. :D

If @Babyblue033’s emerald from Jeff is anything to go by, you will no regret that decision. I can’t wait to see that beauty once it’s done. :mrgreen2:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
8D098841-2C36-4DB7-93D3-3053F3A757BA.jpeg 9BA128F3-B4E6-433D-8CC4-CF233F2D4F09.jpeg EAC649B3-6DC3-4E21-8C93-8DCAFBDA669C.jpeg I have a concave cut blue sapphire from BTD. It’s hard to see the concave cut with my eyes. I do love the colour even though it’s quite a dark blue.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8D098841-2C36-4DB7-93D3-3053F3A757BA.jpeg 9BA128F3-B4E6-433D-8CC4-CF233F2D4F09.jpeg EAC649B3-6DC3-4E21-8C93-8DCAFBDA669C.jpeg I have a concave cut blue sapphire from BTD. It’s hard to see the concave cut with my eyes. I do love the colour even though it’s quite a dark blue.

Wow. What a beautiful sapphire and I adore that setting! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results