shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored diamond regret(?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
So I have a question for you ladies with colored diamonds.

When I was dropping hints to my husband as to what I''d want in an e-ring, I kept saying "colored diamond!" Well, my hints were received and I ended up with a gorgeous blue diamond. Now, I love my diamond and my husband did an amazing job on my ring, but recently I''ve been considering what my ring would look like with a clear diamond as the center stone.

I found a great pair of rhinestone asscher studs. A little kick in my brain had me holding the stud above my ring with a pair of tweezers (centered between the side stones), and with one eye closed, it looked as if my ring had a clear center diamond (does this make me weird?).

It looked gorgeous, and now I''m wondering if maybe I might end up regretting my e-ring. The blue diamond is so pretty, and the color really is TDF, but I worry it''ll look trendy or dated in several years.

Additionally, my current wedding band is a plain pipe cut platinum band. For our upcoming anniversary, my husband has promised to upgrade my ring to something with a little bling. I''m worried the colored diamond will make the new set look too busy.

Sorry for the rambling, but to get to the point, I want to know what you colored diamond ladies think? Are you worried your ring will look odd someday? Am I odd for thinking I''d maybe prefer a non-colored diamond? Have any of you switched a colored diamond out for a clear diamond and regretted it?

This is s20 questions, yes, but I''d really like to know if I''m in the minority here.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
DearBuddha,

it''s time to put your hands on the desk and step away from the computer...or anything else that leads you to pricescope, i think! i just went back over your old ring threads and saw photos of your engagement ring - close up and personal, as they say - and it''s GORGEOUS!

i think the ONE downfall of pricescope (and i suspect i am not the only person to think this, too!) is that it can feed a desire to continually change what you have, as day after is a continual parade of jaw-dropping bling. it can make you restless with what you have or it can just feed you with a never-ending range of possibilities, making you wonder if you really DID get it right. to be honest, it seems to me that it could send you a trifle nuts!

your ring is GORGEOUS. it''s not fad-ish, or so modern as to have no classic worth. it''s elegant, it''s beautiful on your finger, it''s unusual, it''s outside the norm - which is a breath of fresh air! the blue in it is stunning, and the whole thing is something that, i know for me, caught my eye as soon as i saw it!

i think your husband hit it out of the park with this, and i think you, too, were on the money with what you hinted for - and received. if it''s really bugging you, try giving up looking at rings for a bit, rather than giving up the one you actually own, and see if it makes a difference. take a break from comparing or looking at different styles and other people''s options and, if you still want to change it in a year, revisit the idea then. for an anniversary ring, there''s no reason why you can''t have something with all white diamonds or all blue, if you decide you want to keep it less eye catching. have you seen ann sportun''s rings? she tends to work with small stones, but she sure is a fan of blue diamonds. etienne perret has the ring of my dreams on his site - and it''s blue diamond:

http://www.etienneperret.com/colored-diamond-jewelry/bluediamondchannelband24

something like this with your engagement ring scaled for size would look UNBELIEVABLE! and i dont think anyone would EVER say that this is too glitzy looking or too contemporary and could become out of date. this is a classic, pure and simple.

i love your ring, dearbuddah, and i think you have great options for the future when you decide to add to your collection. but perhaps in the short term, maybe a break?

stacy

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring, DearBuddha, and I don''t think it''s "trendy" at all. I personally prefer a little color in my rings... I really think your ring is super classy and that the design will stand the test of time.

And I think your ring would look fine with a diamond band. In fact, I think colorless diamonds will make your colored diamond stand out even more in a classy show-stopper kind of way! And, you can always wear your plain band on days you feel a little less blingy. Heck -- I would probably wear all three together!

I also agree with whitby -- I LOVE Pricescope, but there are so many gorgeous rings and stones on here that I second guess everything I own! Still, it is fun to come drool and dream!

Yours is one of the rings I come and drool and dream over -- seriously! I love it!

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE your diamond. It''s beautiful and I love that it''s a little different with a classic setting. So Unique. I also think a blingy band would look great as long as it''s proportioned right. A clear blingy band would definitely make your blue pop. A blue one for more color.

I agree with Whitby and Stacy, with regards to staying away from pricescope for a while, although I don''t think I could really stay away from Pricescope for more than a day, just ask my bf. I drool over the bling so much and change my mind as to what I want for my ering so often, that my BF doesn''t actually believe me anymore when I say "this is it, this is the style I want". He just says that I''m just going to change my mind in a week, when I find something else on PS that I''m in love with.
19.gif
25.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I DO understand what you''re saying BUT look at it this way .................

if it were a Ruby - would you be worried it would date?

if it were a Sapphire - would you be worried it would date?

Coloured gemstones are unique. You have a special ring, bought with love. Stick with it. If you have fallen out of love with it on your 10th anniversary (or something like that) then maybe look for a white diamond and change your blue diamond to the other hand.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 6:44:25 PM
Author: whitby_2773
DearBuddha,

it''s time to put your hands on the desk and step away from the computer...or anything else that leads you to pricescope, i think! i just went back over your old ring threads and saw photos of your engagement ring - close up and personal, as they say - and it''s GORGEOUS!

i think the ONE downfall of pricescope (and i suspect i am not the only person to think this, too!) is that it can feed a desire to continually change what you have, as day after is a continual parade of jaw-dropping bling. it can make you restless with what you have or it can just feed you with a never-ending range of possibilities, making you wonder if you really DID get it right. to be honest, it seems to me that it could send you a trifle nuts!

your ring is GORGEOUS. it''s not fad-ish, or so modern as to have no classic worth. it''s elegant, it''s beautiful on your finger, it''s unusual, it''s outside the norm - which is a breath of fresh air! the blue in it is stunning, and the whole thing is something that, i know for me, caught my eye as soon as i saw it!

i think your husband hit it out of the park with this, and i think you, too, were on the money with what you hinted for - and received. if it''s really bugging you, try giving up looking at rings for a bit, rather than giving up the one you actually own, and see if it makes a difference. take a break from comparing or looking at different styles and other people''s options and, if you still want to change it in a year, revisit the idea then. for an anniversary ring, there''s no reason why you can''t have something with all white diamonds or all blue, if you decide you want to keep it less eye catching. have you seen ann sportun''s rings? she tends to work with small stones, but she sure is a fan of blue diamonds. etienne perret has the ring of my dreams on his site - and it''s blue diamond:

http://www.etienneperret.com/colored-diamond-jewelry/bluediamondchannelband24

something like this with your engagement ring scaled for size would look UNBELIEVABLE! and i dont think anyone would EVER say that this is too glitzy looking or too contemporary and could become out of date. this is a classic, pure and simple.

i love your ring, dearbuddah, and i think you have great options for the future when you decide to add to your collection. but perhaps in the short term, maybe a break?

Thank you SO MUCH, Whitby! I can see why people think my ring is eye-catchin; the color is very intense! I think that was why I was so caught up suddenly in thinking it would be dated.

I have a good friend who sports a very white 2ct. princess cut in a trellis setting, and we were comparing rings one day while we were in the direct sunlight. She commented that her diamond looked blue in the sun because of it''s fluorescence. Then she looked at my diamond and laughed "but not as blue as yours!"

I know it wasn''t meant to be a witchy comment, because she always compliments my ring and the color. But the statement made me think, "Oh God, what if it''s a thing to mock in a few years! Am I just a trend?!"

Thank you for your sweet words about my ring. It helps ease the worry :)

I wish I could take a break from Pricescope, but it''s just impossible!!
30.gif

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 7:28:28 PM
Author: Rose-E
I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE your diamond. It''s beautiful and I love that it''s a little different with a classic setting. So Unique.

Thank you, Rose-E! I love the setting, too
30.gif

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 7:33:57 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I DO understand what you''re saying BUT look at it this way .................

if it were a Ruby - would you be worried it would date?

if it were a Sapphire - would you be worried it would date?

Coloured gemstones are unique. You have a special ring, bought with love. Stick with it. If you have fallen out of love with it on your 10th anniversary (or something like that) then maybe look for a white diamond and change your blue diamond to the other hand.

LovingDiamonds - Part of the reason I asked this question is because people are always asking me if my diamond is a sapphire or an aquamarine. When I tell them it''s a blue diamond, the reaction is usually mixed between: "I didn''t know there were such things!" or "Wow! Your husband must be rich!"

Those reactions aren''t exactly what I was looking/hoping for, but I suppose when it comes to diamonds, reactions will always be one way or the other, right?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, I think your ring is gorgeous. I want to have a blue diamond someday because of your ring.

Mine isn''t a colored diamond, but it is a colored stone (spinel) and I can tell you that I would regret getting a white diamond--or a white stone for that matter. I think most of us with colored stone erings feel much the same way. And because we love them so much, we don''t care if they look trendy or aged down the line. I will admit to feeling like other people may not think it''s an ering, but in the grand scheme of things, that''s not going to matter.

Here''s a couple of questions--do you love blue? Do you love your ering?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is very beautiful and SPECIAL b/c of all the work your DH put into it. I think it''s classic with a twist - the blue is TDF.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 8:13:19 PM
Author: FrekeChild
First of all, I think your ring is gorgeous. I want to have a blue diamond someday because of your ring.

Mine isn''t a colored diamond, but it is a colored stone (spinel) and I can tell you that I would regret getting a white diamond--or a white stone for that matter. I think most of us with colored stone erings feel much the same way. And because we love them so much, we don''t care if they look trendy or aged down the line. I will admit to feeling like other people may not think it''s an ering, but in the grand scheme of things, that''s not going to matter.

Here''s a couple of questions--do you love blue? Do you love your ering?

**small threadjack***

FrekeChild - in your heart, you ARE a blue diamond! (everyone on PS knows that you glow clear and blue)

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
DearBuddha, I LOVE that blue stone in your e-ring! The first time I saw it in your avatar, I also went back to find old posts on it.
In fact, I was considering trying to find an irradiated blue diamond to try and have a stone that looks like yours...it''s beautiful and, in my opinion, timeless.
So yeah, I think you should keep it. And if not, let me borrow it!

~Kat

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear only colored diamonds for my diamond rings. I don''t care what people think actually. To me they''re unique.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I don''t care for irradiated blue diamonds because the color is so obviously man made. I do like natural pinkish or pale yellow diamonds though.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Buddah, in a word NO I don''t worry if my ring will look dated or odd. I love my ring and my yellow diamond and I would never switch it out to a white diamond. I love that it''s different and not something that is common and best of all my hubby loves it too. Your ring is gorgeous. You need to decide though, if it''s the one for you.

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi DearBuddha!

I've seen your posts on tPF and even though you're using a different avatar on PS, I recognized your ring immediately. It's THAT memorable!!

I agree with the others. Once you've seen all the amazing rings on PS it's almost impossible not to second guess your own! I think your blue diamond was the first I'd ever seen and the color is AMAZING. There's a very good reason that you fell in love with your ring in the first place...because it's a gorgeous ring that makes a lasting impression on people, including me!
4.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is just gorgeous! I don''t think a blingier band will make it too busy either. I 100% agree with whitby that the only downfall I see with my pricescope addiction is that it makes you second (and third and fourth and fifth and so on
32.gif
) guess yourself and your choices! It''s enough to drive you bonkers if you let it! Every day I''m picking apart these little details about my ring wondering if they could be any better. In my head I know that''s insane, but I totally understand how you feel. I think your ring will look fabulous no matter what you pair with it, and you would have always regretted not getting what you truly wanted. Plus, you can always ask for a white diamond for a RHR!
31.gif

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It''s funny that we can''t see our rings the way other people see them. I remember someone commenting in another thread that they can appreciate their e-ring more when they see it on someone else''s finger. That will definitely give you a different perspective!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think your ring will look dated, but I do think you should decide if you are happy with a blue diamond as an engagement ring. When I was engaged [first marriage], I had a three-stone ring with an emerald [as in green
2.gif
] as the center stone with diamonds as the side stones. I did grow tired of the emerald. Of course it was a soft stone and that was a different issue entirely. There''s nothing wrong with changing your mind, but I do think your ring is very pretty!

ETA: My current rings are all white diamonds and I love the look...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue is unique. As long as you don''t mind unique, you''ll be fine. For it to be dated it would have to be a trend/fad from a certain time period. Have you seen any other blue diamonds in "the wild."

No. It''s not a trend/fad. But it does need to please you.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:40:27 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I don''t care for irradiated blue diamonds because the color is so obviously man made. I do like natural pinkish or pale yellow diamonds though.
Normally I would see your point with irradiated blue diamonds. I''ve seen some that are a terrible brackish blue, and obviously man-made.

However, while my blue stone is intense, it''s certainly not the same shade. It''s much, MUCH lighter. In fact, I''ve gone into many jewlery stores (including Tiffany/Cartier/Bvlgari, ect.) and the SAs refuse to believe it isn''t a natural blue stone, simply based on the color and size. They''ve asked to loupe it to see if they can find the laser mark, and some have a hard time seeing it.

So it certainly isn''t that I''m worried about it looking cheap or man-made. It''s far from a cheap diamond.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting idea! Any volunteers?
3.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 6:10:07 AM
Author: DearBuddha
Date: 4/15/2009 10:40:27 PM

Author: purrfectpear

Normally I would see your point with irradiated blue diamonds. I''ve seen some that are a terrible brackish blue, and obviously man-made.

However, while my blue stone is intense, it''s certainly not the same shade. It''s much, MUCH lighter. In fact, I''ve gone into many jewlery stores (including Tiffany/Cartier/Bvlgari, ect.) and the SAs refuse to believe it isn''t a natural blue stone, simply based on the color and size. They''ve asked to loupe it to see if they can find the laser mark, and some have a hard time seeing it.

So it certainly isn''t that I''m worried about it looking cheap or man-made. It''s far from a cheap diamond.

dearbuddha -

keep in mind, too, that not everybody is going to love your ring. ANY ring! for instance, while i appreciate them and think they''re fabulous, for myself, i am not a huge fan of rings with diamonds over a certain size. for example, my favorite ring on pricescope is Diamond*Dana''s, which has a .51 center stone, and .27 on each side. she has lovely long, slender fingers, and on her hand, her ring is awesome! but for some other people, this would be too small. or they would want it in yellow gold. or it would just have to have a halo, or be a solitaire, or...or... well, you get my point.

what''s obvious tho is that most people here LOVE your ring! the question is - do you? i''d just be careful not to fall victim to the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" and perhaps stop comparing it for a bit. give it a chance to shine in its own right in your eyes again; plenty of us see it and find it incredible!

it might bother some people that some blue diamonds are man made for color, and this is a totally legitimate position. people are, simply, allowed to like what they like! but it might also bother some people that white gold is essentially a man made alloy and the color manufactured. or that most sapphires are heat treated for color. or...well, you see what i''m saying. you have to decide if it bothers you - and it sounds as tho you, along with plenty of other people, love the color.

just a few thoughts...

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
I think your blue diamond is SIMPLY STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I understand that if your really unhappy with your ring, change it cos it''ll bug the cr@p out of you. But I have to say, your ring is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, I don''t think there''s anything trendy about it, it''s just classy and beautiful.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 5:28:53 PM
Author:DearBuddha
So I have a question for you ladies with colored diamonds.

When I was dropping hints to my husband as to what I''d want in an e-ring, I kept saying ''colored diamond!'' Well, my hints were received and I ended up with a gorgeous blue diamond. Now, I love my diamond and my husband did an amazing job on my ring, but recently I''ve been considering what my ring would look like with a clear diamond as the center stone.

I found a great pair of rhinestone asscher studs. A little kick in my brain had me holding the stud above my ring with a pair of tweezers (centered between the side stones), and with one eye closed, it looked as if my ring had a clear center diamond (does this make me weird?).

It looked gorgeous, and now I''m wondering if maybe I might end up regretting my e-ring. The blue diamond is so pretty, and the color really is TDF, but I worry it''ll look trendy or dated in several years.

Additionally, my current wedding band is a plain pipe cut platinum band. For our upcoming anniversary, my husband has promised to upgrade my ring to something with a little bling. I''m worried the colored diamond will make the new set look too busy.

Sorry for the rambling, but to get to the point, I want to know what you colored diamond ladies think? Are you worried your ring will look odd someday? Am I odd for thinking I''d maybe prefer a non-colored diamond? Have any of you switched a colored diamond out for a clear diamond and regretted it?

This is s20 questions, yes, but I''d really like to know if I''m in the minority here.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! please don''t change this ring - i think it''s so beautiful as it is! I''ve commented on your ring several times, and i just love the uniqueness of it and the setting is amazing with the trillions on the side.

I don''t think there is anything trendy about it at all! A co-worker of mine told the most fabulous story about how her grandfather proposed to her grandmother by asking her if she wanted a bigger diamond or a "smaller, perfect blue diamond" ring....she chose the blue diamond and my friend has it and wears it today.

Now, if you just need a change, then that''s another story.....

how bout a nice eternity band to go with the set and give you a little more clear bling on that hand?????
27.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I regret that I only have 1 colored diamond. How about a non-colored diamond as a right hand ring?

Carey

Shiny_Rock
As a person who likes ''everything'', I can totally relate. I am still waiting on an e-ring type ring, but one of the things that is holding me up is that as soon as I''m ''sure'' I want an ascher, or cushion, or emerald, or round, OR princess.... I change my mind. Big time! And I''ve done the ''holding the ear ring with the tweezer'' thing, too! But I say keep your drool-worthy blue diamond and cherish it. And for some big anniversary get an all-white diamond ring. Maybe in a different shape, or a 3 stone or something. Your ring is NOT trendy! (Unless you live in a place where everyone''s got a colored diamond!) It is timeless. Love it. And it''s OK to dream about your RHR!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
If you love your ring-than that is the only thing that matters! To heck with what others think!!! I personally love colored diamonds and unique pieces :) Wear it with pride!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous, don''t change it! I think it would look beautiful with a bligy band, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results