shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Shift Sapphire, FINALLY Set

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So, I bought this sapphire about a year ago, from Gemrite, here is the link to the listing which I think is very accurate for color and description; http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=268 (click on more pictures for other views). John was very pleasant, and completely forthright in his dealings with me. He stated the stone was untreated, and someday I will have the guys at AGL certify it for me.

I've tried and returned a bunch of sapphires over the years, but when this one finally arrived, I was smitten. The color shift is much more dramatic than any of the photos; it looks like an amethyst in some lights, and either a navy blue or bright blue in other lights. The cut is sparkly, and it flashes blue, red, yellow and even red. It's very odd . . . :shock:

I'm not a quantity buyer of stones, I just buy one of each. In all the time I've been on PS, I only have 5 stones. I guess I'm kinda picky. :sick:
I like this size, at almost 7mm, it works well as on my size 7 finger.

So, let's start with the pictures from Gemrite:

ccsapphire140a.jpg

ccsapphire140b.jpg

ccsapphire140c.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Now, the SPARKLY :love: part!

I was recently in NYC and went down to 47th Street, to see I D Jewelry. They set the big tourmaline that Jerry cut for me last year (BTW, they replaced the tiny pave diamond that went missing from the setting, no questions asked. They even remembered me :)) ) If you're ever on Rocky Talk or SMTB, ID Jewelry is mentioned often.

They showed me a bunch of settings, they were all very clean and sparkly and bright, (and reasonable too, if you're looking ;)) ) but I wanted something even blingy-er. So Tami showed me a big princess setting, but in an oval, and I loved it. Could they make it for me in a round, within a week? Sure, no problem! Could I even get claw prongs? Of course!

For those of you that are into the diamond part, there are 10 1-point diamonds, F-G color, SI clarity, 1 carat total. When I went to pick it up, Yuketeil mentioned that his dad, who's been in the jewelry business for decades, picked out each stone himself. And holy cow does it show! I took a bunch of pics with my phone, but the sparkle was so strong, it looked like the ring was blurry! I've never seen diamonds this sparkly before! DH took some pics with the "big camera" and it looks much clearer, but the color shift is not as obvious as it is in RL. But, so clear, you can see the little inclusions that I never noticed until DH took the pic. Awesome, love those!

I think from now on, I'm just going to have IDJ set all my stones. Their diamond quality, the setting weight, and the bench work are just amazing. It looks like a million bucks.

It's been put away for Christmas, so I'll probably spend the next few months mooning over this thread. :lol:

ring1bluer.jpg

ring3purplish.jpg

ring4hand.jpg

ring2inclusions.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
And for those of you with a historical bent, here is a blurry picture of a ring that was made for the Russian royal family by Faberge. I took it at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The ring was inside a chicken, which was inside one of the Imperial Easter eggs.

Look familiar? :naughty:

Nice to know it's a classic style. :bigsmile:

fabergering.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
That's a great stone. Gemrite does some nice cutting. Really cool on the different colors it does. :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIES!!! Nice choice - iLander that is gorgeous! I love that you have a Faberge Russian ring! (of sorts...) :appl:

I have 2 pieces from IDJ and I am VERY impressed with the quality and responses from Luann. I am headed into NYC end of October and hope to finally meet them - how was the visit there??? Did you pick up any more treasures? or set any others??? This is gorgeous - Merry Christmas (4 months early!) :bigsmile:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely! Oh so lovely! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Just Wow! I think your sapphire and setting our gorgeous!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1345593971|3255097 said:
Wow! Just Wow! I think your sapphire and setting our gorgeous!

I meant your ring is gorgeous but I can't spell worth anything. lol

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very nice ring, iLander. I loved reading your story and gazing at the illustrations.

I don't know when I will get a chance to be in New York again, but ID Jewelry will definitely be on my list of places to visit.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!! I'm over here speechless because it is so sparkling!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just perfect....and blingtastic!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Very very pretty! Congratulations! I like the blue color of your stone! :love: :love: :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone and ring. :cheeky:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a find that sapphire is! I caught my breath at your pics, iLander! And the setting couldn't be more lovely. Absolutely gorgeous all around. (Love the photo of the Faberge too. I just bought a book on Romanov jewels w/lots of pre- & post-Revolution photos to drool over. One that made me steam was of a bunch of Soviet trolls at a table holding piles of jewelry -- one person digging away at a diamond tiara with a screwdriver. Wanted to whack him with a big hard 20-lb. diamond!)

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1345591008|3255070 said:
BEAUTIES!!! Nice choice - iLander that is gorgeous! I love that you have a Faberge Russian ring! (of sorts...) :appl:

I have 2 pieces from IDJ and I am VERY impressed with the quality and responses from Luann. I am headed into NYC end of October and hope to finally meet them - how was the visit there??? Did you pick up any more treasures? or set any others??? This is gorgeous - Merry Christmas (4 months early!) :bigsmile:

Fly Girl said:
Very nice ring, iLander. I loved reading your story and gazing at the illustrations.

I don't know when I will get a chance to be in New York again, but ID Jewelry will definitely be on my list of places to visit.

Hi Enerchi and Fly Girl! :wavey:

Thank you! I think it's cool to have something classic so even a great-granddaughter can appreciate it. I have my great-gram's wedding ring, just 7 small OEC's in a flower shape; it's over 100 years old and completely in style today!

IDJ is great, mention you are a Pricescoper and they take you seriously! It's not pretentious at all, no fancy store or anything. Many diamond district jewelers work in arcades, just a single counter in room full of other counters, and that is how IDJ is situated. There's 4-5 people behind a counter shock full of drool-worthy stuff, and there's more in their window on the street. They have a huge safe back there too. They are all pleasant and very busy, they do a heck of a business, but they manage to completely focus on you as long as it takes. I think their prices are amazing, so I don't mind the lack of fancy store. They are diamond experts, and they do well for PSer's, don't hesitate. They are only open Mon-Fri, so don't try to go on a Saturday (like I did once).

I did end up getting a lovely little milliigrain diamond band for my DD's 18th. I told Tami I only wanted to spend $500, and she pulled out quite an assortment of goodies; haloed diamond pendants, many rings, even a rose gold bezel set OEC ring. I couldn't decide, so I let DD pick and she went for the band; very sparkly and it looks gorgeous on her finger (F-G, SI). It's a simple piece she can enjoy for years and years.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your ring- it is totally a classic - forever timeless, as they say!!

THanks for the visual description - I can totally picture it. There is/was a place on Yonge St in downtown Toronto, across from the Eaton's Centre, not sure if it is still there, but sounds exactly like what you are describing. I bought 2 gold chains about 25-30 years ago, and felt like i was SWARMED when you walked in - they sure bargained tho!

That sounds very exciting to know that what you see on their web and what they have available, seem to be endless options. I love how Tami was able to bring you a selection of items for your DD to chose from - that's awesome! What a memorable day for her, to mark a special birthday - yeah!

If you are in NYC on Oct 30, let me know - that's my allotted "diamond district day"!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
That setting is amazing :shock: :shock: :shock:

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Oooh, that came out wonderfully. Wear it in health!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! What a beautiful ring. Love the prongs.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1345631713|3255214 said:
What a find that sapphire is! I caught my breath at your pics, iLander! And the setting couldn't be more lovely. Absolutely gorgeous all around. (Love the photo of the Faberge too. I just bought a book on Romanov jewels w/lots of pre- & post-Revolution photos to drool over. One that made me steam was of a bunch of Soviet trolls at a table holding piles of jewelry -- one person digging away at a diamond tiara with a screwdriver. Wanted to whack him with a big hard 20-lb. diamond!)

--- Laurie

Hi Laurie! :wavey:

Finally had time to respond. Thanks for your kind words!

I think if I saw that picture I would just be sick! :o That's so horrible. I'm always amazed at how jewelry seems to be considered the sum of it's parts, and so few (non PS) people truly appreciate the artistry.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Sonomacounty, Canuk-gal, LisaRN (I knew what you meant-lol), txgreeneyes, Chrono, fussykiki, Kenny, Iknvrb4, OTL, yanaazul, and Soberguy! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: You're all very nice and I appreciate your comments!

@Enerchi; I only get to visit NYC once in a blue moon, so I won't be there in October, but be sure to post about your visit! Just bring all your stones, I'll be you find something that works for you. I can't wait to see what you get! Don't worry about being swarmed, though, everyone is very laid back, you can browse for hours among the counters, but frankly, I really only trust PS-vetted vendors.

I did want to make clear one thing to all readers; the inclusions that I talked about are in the sapphire, there's not a thing in the diamonds. DH wasn't sure I communicated that.

And I also wanted to post one of the sparkly pics that I took in the store. Isn't it weird how the diamonds look out-of-focus because of the flashes? But it is in focus! See all those sharply focused finger wrinkles and blotches (totally attractive)? Weird effect . . . :shock:

sapphirehand.jpg

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

It's seriously gorgeous gorgeous! I especially love your last handshot. Wow! :lickout:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I love both the hands shots....soooo sparkly :love: I have a particular weakness for the diamonds set that way, makes them look more like petals to my mind :)) Wear it in love and laughter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,
Do they not have an online presence? So if I want to purchase one of their settings, I have to head to NYC?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
iLander,
Do they not have an online presence? So if I want to purchase one of their settings, I have to head to NYC?

Nope, no trip necessary; here is their website, settings are under engagement rings;

http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php

Here is their ebay store, more settings;

http://stores.ebay.com/I-D-JEWELRY-ONLINE

(BTW, I saw this ebay bracelet of theirs in real life; http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-41CTW-Yellow-and-White-Diamond-Bracelet-F-SI-14K-/380428008123?pt=US_Fine_Bracelets&hash=item589346babb#ht_2973wt_1142 and it's gorgeous, very bright white, yellow diamonds are very intense, but they told me right away that the yellow diamonds are enhanced. They didn't want to sell enhanced anything to a PSer, and they shook their heads and took it away from me)

The particulars on my ring; They found my setting from a catalog, not sure, but it may have been this one; http://www.uniquesettings.com/ ID has several catalogs to choose from, you can call and ask them for more of their sources. All the settings are available for different size stones with different sizes of diamonds. I guessed and went for the bigger 1-pointers (they showed me the setting, in an oval, with 0.6 pointers, which is a showy size), and I just hoped it would look good.

The Unique Settings guys are also on 47th street, so they cast it that week. Then Yuketiel and his dad selected the stones from a packet sent over by a diamond seller on the same street, (that's where the magic is) then they sent the setting and the diamonds with my stone to another guy on the street. Then he (whoever he is) did the fabulous claw prongs and set the stones. I think those claws rival anything produced by any of the expensive setters mentioned here on PS. Then ID Jewelers received the ring back from the setter about 10 minutes before I got there, and they were so busy oooing and ahhhing, I was afraid they weren't going to give it to me. :)

Basically, they take advantage of all the resources of 47th street, and use trustworthy vendors that they've built relationships with over many years. And I don't think they make a lot of money doing it, actually. There was a little good-natured grousing about not making any money on PS projects. :D I think they like that PSers are educated and appreciate what they do. They listened carefully when I talked about sapphires, and Yuketeil said he wanted to learn more about colored stones. IDJ does a lot of projects for the ladies over in Rocky Talk, so you can search their reputation right here on PS, which is where I found them. He showed me a ginourmous oval diamond (had to be 2-3 carats) he had just finished for a PSer, with a stunning halo around it. It was droolworthy. :cheeky:

Sorry, Chrono, you know how long-winded I can be!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Starzin said:
I love both the hands shots....soooo sparkly :love: I have a particular weakness for the diamonds set that way, makes them look more like petals to my mind :)) Wear it in love and laughter.

Cookie|1345689263|3255743 said:
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

It's seriously gorgeous gorgeous! I especially love your last handshot. Wow! :lickout:

Thank you! I like that setting too, it looks so princess-like and classic!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous, ilander! It looks perfect on your hand.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooo it's gorgeous! i love color shifters. :love:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! Very pretty ring and I love the color when it is at its most "purple". I'd love a true purple sapphire someday. :appl: :appl:

I had a shifter (blue/purple) stone and I loved it in some lighting, but it others it was too dark - yours is much brighter!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results