shape
carat
color
clarity

Color of Baguettes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Why do baguettes sometimes give a dull or dark appearance????

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. They could be cloudy or dark color.
2. They could have a soap film or dirt on the bottom of the stones.
3. They could have polishing compound or shellac from the setting process on their pavilions.
4. The mounting style might inhibit light from going through them in some way.It could be a combination of the above...

bacon

Rough_Rock
Added to Dave's list I would add off make or poorly cut baguettes. This is the most common cause.

synth19

Rough_Rock
^ How can you assure that the baguettes are well-cut? Are there also GIA reports/etc for stones that small?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
VERY non-technical answer from a total non-expert... but I think the easiest way to tell about a baguette is to be sure it's clean, then just look at it. I have seen some baguettes that just look "dead"... and there is nothing attractive about that. Others are shiny and sparkly, and look like little mirrors. The quality of the cut (IMVHO!) is quite obvious.

Greentree

Rough_Rock
A baguette is a step cut stone that can't compete very well with a round brilliant. I think that's why they look sort of dead. I'm sure there are some well cut ones available, but how can you be sure to get one?

This can be a problem when ordering a custom ring. The center stone and the details of the ring occupies all your attention. The side baguettes are lost in the shuffle. When the finished ring comes in, the center stone is gorgeous, but the baguettes seem to be rather blah. Maybe we are just expecting too much of them.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I agree... baguettes can tend to get "lost in the shuffle" sometimes... but when they are beautiful, they truly ARE beautiful! I think there's lots more "dead" ones out there than not, though. But I also think LOOKING at them tells the story (assuming they are clean, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results