shape
carat
color
clarity

Color of Baguettes

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by BEDAZZLED, Sep 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. BEDAZZLED
    Shiny_Rock

by BEDAZZLED » Sep 11, 2001
    Why do baguettes sometimes give a dull or dark appearance????

2. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by oldminer » Sep 11, 2001
    1. They could be cloudy or dark color.
    2. They could have a soap film or dirt on the bottom of the stones.
    3. They could have polishing compound or shellac from the setting process on their pavilions.
    4. The mounting style might inhibit light from going through them in some way.It could be a combination of the above...

3. bacon
    Rough_Rock

by bacon » Sep 11, 2001
    Added to Dave's list I would add off make or poorly cut baguettes. This is the most common cause.

4. synth19
    Rough_Rock

by synth19 » Sep 22, 2004
    ^ How can you assure that the baguettes are well-cut? Are there also GIA reports/etc for stones that small?

5. Lynn B
    Ideal_Rock

by Lynn B » Sep 22, 2004
    VERY non-technical answer from a total non-expert... but I think the easiest way to tell about a baguette is to be sure it's clean, then just look at it. I have seen some baguettes that just look "dead"... and there is nothing attractive about that. Others are shiny and sparkly, and look like little mirrors. The quality of the cut (IMVHO!) is quite obvious.

6. Greentree
    Rough_Rock

by Greentree » Sep 22, 2004
    A baguette is a step cut stone that can't compete very well with a round brilliant. I think that's why they look sort of dead. I'm sure there are some well cut ones available, but how can you be sure to get one?

This can be a problem when ordering a custom ring. The center stone and the details of the ring occupies all your attention. The side baguettes are lost in the shuffle. When the finished ring comes in, the center stone is gorgeous, but the baguettes seem to be rather blah. Maybe we are just expecting too much of them.

7. Lynn B
    Ideal_Rock

by Lynn B » Sep 22, 2004
    I agree... baguettes can tend to get "lost in the shuffle" sometimes... but when they are beautiful, they truly ARE beautiful! I think there's lots more "dead" ones out there than not, though. But I also think LOOKING at them tells the story (assuming they are clean, of course).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.