shape
carat
color
clarity

Color more visible in large RB diamonds? (> 2.5 ct)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Hi gang. I was looking at a stone that is 3.06 carats and the vendor mentioned that the I color would appear warm. This was just a phone operator so I don''t know how much stock to put into what she said.

I know people on here have 3+ ct J color stones and love them. Do you love them in spite of the warm color? I want the stone to appear very white. Is an I color 3 ct ideal cut going to get me there (round brilliant btw).

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s really a personal thing. Is it ideally cut and certified by GIA or AGS?

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
about2begin,

Whether you prefer the warmer tone of I/J/K diamonds is definitely a personal preference, but the suggestion that larger diamonds show more color is absolutely correct.

I usually think of it like water. Pour it in a glass and it''s clear. Fill the pool and it''s blue!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 12:05:01 PM
Author: James Allen Schultz
about2begin,

Whether you prefer the warmer tone of I/J/K diamonds is definitely a personal preference, but the suggestion that larger diamonds show more color is absolutely correct.

I usually think of it like water. Pour it in a glass and it's clear. Fill the pool and it's blue!
Ditto.

Also cut can make a difference on the beauty of the diamond and the grading lab can make a difference as to the colour, I take it this is a GIA graded diamond? If you want, post the proportions and we can take a look for you.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Here are the proportions:

Table = 57%
Depth = 61.3
Crown angle = 34.5
Pavillion = 40.8

eye-clean SI2, I color

It checks out OK under the HCA. I just want the stone to appear to be white. I don''t think the lady would like the warm look (not that there''s anything wrong with it in general -- just not her preference)

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
One other thing, this would be set in platinum or WG if that matters.

THANKS!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 1:03:34 PM
Author: about2begin

Table = 57%
Depth = 61.3
Crown angle = 34.5
Pavillion = 40.8

eye-clean SI2, I color

It checks out OK under the HCA. I just want the stone to appear to be white. I don't think the lady would like the warm look (not that there's anything wrong with it in general -- just not her preference)
Looks good by the numbers. As to the colour grade, I take it GIA graded? An I colour can be a great choice and won't look yellow, in some lights there may be a very slight hint of warmth from the side but colour perception varies and this may not be a problem, does the diamond have fluorescence? Does the vendor have a return policy or could you have the diamond sent to an appraiser near you so you could view it? The diamond will still look white and not yellow if that is a concern. I will post a 4ct I colour diamond which you can look at but bear in mind that colour perception varies as do computer monitors so it would be best to see the diamond you are considering yourself.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-received-my-4-carat-whiteflash-ring-great-experience.15348/

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that this is personal preference.
Some people can''t even see the difference between a D and an I color- and others are far more sensitive.
I for one, do not agree that simply because a stone is larger that the color is more obvious.
There''s many other factors, such as fluorescence and which have a lot to do with how yellow a stone looks.

The bottom line is that if one is a really stickler for color, I is not going to cut it, but for many others it will.
Have you looked at stones graded by the GIA or AGS?

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, this is a GIA cert. ex, ex, ex in terms of cut

I''m not a "stickler"--just want it to not appear yellow

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:28:35 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/4/2009 1:03:34 PM

Table = 57%

Depth = 61.3

Crown angle = 34.5

Pavillion = 40.8

eye-clean SI2, I color

It checks out OK under the HCA. I just want the stone to appear to be white. I don''t think the lady would like the warm look (not that there''s anything wrong with it in general -- just not her preference)

Looks good by the numbers. As to the colour grade, I take it GIA graded? An I colour can be a great choice and won''t look yellow, in some lights there may be a very slight hint of warmth from the side but colour perception varies and this may not be a problem, does the diamond have fluorescence? Does the vendor have a return policy or could you have the diamond sent to an appraiser near you so you could view it? The diamond will still look white and not yellow if that is a concern. I will post a 4ct I colour diamond which you can look at but bear in mind that colour perception varies as do computer monitors so it would be best to see the diamond you are considering yourself.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-received-my-4-carat-whiteflash-ring-great-experience.15348/

WOW -- thanks! That looks white to me! I really appreciate the help, L.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 1:36:56 PM

I''m not a ''stickler''--just want it to not appear yellow
An I of that size even in my opinion won''t look yellow. It might be a challenge to find some well cut GIA graded diamonds of that size in that colour as this size is scarce but if you could check some out in person that might help. But if the vendor has a return policy then you are covered anyway.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Yup 30 days -- I think it''s worth a look!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 1:40:22 PM
Yup 30 days -- I think it's worth a look!
You are very welcome!

Just for completeness, do you have the diameter measurements, girdle thickness and the polish and symmetry grades too please? Any chance of an ASET or Idealscope image? It does look promising from the info we have.

about2begin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 1:43:53 PM

You are very welcome!

Just for completeness, do you have the diameter measurements, girdle thickness and the polish and symmetry grades too please? Any chance of an ASET or Idealscope image? It does look promising from the info we have.

Medium to slightly thick, faceted.
9.28*9.31*5.7
polish/symetry = ex, ex (respectively)

I can ask for an idealscope but there isn''t one up yet.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 1:47:55 PM

Date: 3/4/2009 1:43:53 PM

You are very welcome!

Medium to slightly thick, faceted.
9.28*9.31*5.7
polish/symetry = ex, ex (respectively)

I can ask for an idealscope but there isn''t one up yet.
That looks fine, thanks!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2009 1:36:56 PM

I''m not a ''stickler''--just want it to not appear yellow
I suppose "stickler" was not the best choice of words....
What I meant is that some people can easily see an I color''s body color, and other''s can''t.
It''s simple physiology- some people are far more sensitive to color.
It''s really a good idea to see how sensitive your eyes are to see what color might work for you.....

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I notice more color in my 2 ct G RB in my ering than I do in my .5 ct G RB in my pendant. Neither has flour, but I can see slight body color from the side of the bigger diamond. I am very color sensitive, though, and my stone is a low G (maybe high H), but still you can see more body color in the larger stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results