shape
carat
color
clarity

Color in the non-fancy''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

billv45

Rough_Rock
Hi All! I''m still looking for that perfect heart shaped stone for my Sweetie. Our bricks''n motar jewlery store got three stones in for us last week and we were finally able to get out and take a look at them yesterday. None were certified (kinda surprised me) but they all looked OK. One was a little shallow and sure enough looked a lot like a glass window just like all of you said. The one she really liked was rated and H SI1 but it did not have any yellow in it but rather a hint of pink (which she liked a lot) not enough to be a fancy but enough to notice easily. My question is how does the color rating work for stones that do not get more yellow but just have more color such as pink? I''ve seen and used color grading CZ''s before but the set I''ve seen would not have been useful (to me) in determining a color rating of this stone. If she likes it that''s all that matters to me but I sure do not want to over pay for it!
Bill

billv45

Rough_Rock
Also what is everyone's opion on the specs? The stone's not certified but they will have it certified if I want. thanks

HEART
Carat weight: 1.02
Cut: Good
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 56.8%
Table %: 66.9%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Good
Girdle: Thick
Pavillion : 41.8
Crown : 10.6
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: H 6.50 x W 6.82 x H 3.89
Length to Width Ratio .95
Price $3800

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
My question is how does the color rating work for stones that do not get more yellow but just have more color such as pink? I've seen and used color grading CZ's before but the set I've seen would not have been useful (to me) in determining a color rating of this stone.
----------------

Only yellow diamonds actually go all the way out to Z. With other colors you start using the fancy-color terms past J/K (it varies by color).

I'm intrigued by the H color grade if in fact the pink color is detectable face-up. Under normal circumstances, it sounds like you could have a Faint or Very light pink stone. I'd get this one independently appraised before going any further. It's not hard to fake pink color in a diamond that isn't going to get examined by a professional--a tiny dab of pink nail polish is sometimes all that's necessary.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
HEART
Carat weight: 1.02
Cut: Good
Color: H

I'm a little confused over the grading. If it was indeed a detectable shade of pink, then an H color grade seems to make no sense. You would think you'd have to start applying a fancy grading scale. Are you sure the pink wasn't a reflection of something in the environment?

Okay, I finally found Garry Holloway's nice site with the pink and champagne chart:
http://www.preciousmetals.com.au/fancycoloured.asp

billv45

Rough_Rock
I looked at the pink chart and this was no where near that pink, it was very, very faint but it was pink. It was beside two other stones that looked normal so it could not have been a reflection or environment. There's no way I would buy it without having it certed but she really does like it. I'm still confused about the color rating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results