Color I with Medium Flourescence in a Rose Gold setting

Edscalade2191

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Just two quick questions:

1) I'm deciding between two diamonds:

1.91ct, color I, ideal AGS0 cut, Si1, no flouresc
2.01ct, color I, ideal AGS0 cut, Si1, medium blue flouresc

Basically, the exact same price. Which would you prefer assuming both have been confirmed as eye-clean.

2) If my soon-to-be fiance seems to be interested in a Rose Gold setting (solitaire), would that work with the medium blue flouresc stone? I didn't know if that would work well.

Thank you!!!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should not be a problem at medium fluor assuming someone looks at it to rreview. Can we see the report numbers or certificates? There might be something else that tilts the scales

Edscalade2191

Rough_Rock
I have both certifications and am waiting to get back the ASET and idealscope images on one of them (I have them for the other). They're both pricescope diamonds. If I have the funding, would you recommend having both shipped to me to compare and then return one of them? Not sure what the best step is now as I feel I'm at a standstill.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edscalade2191|1436924715|3902939 said:
I have both certifications and am waiting to get back the ASET and idealscope images on one of them (I have them for the other). They're both pricescope diamonds. If I have the funding, would you recommend having both shipped to me to compare and then return one of them? Not sure what the best step is now as I feel I'm at a standstill.
Can you share their stares or certificate numbers?

I donr think you need to have both sent to you. I am sure with idealscopes and info in the certs we can make decisions

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I like Flu because she can ALWAYS tell that it's her diamond if work is done on it. With a Flu Black flashlight. I also enjoy seeing it Flu under black flu lights at bars and amusement parks. :D

I doubt that the Flu would make any difference in the metal setting color.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, assuming performance is similar/the same (AGS 000 after all, we're probably splitting hairs!) I'd definitely go for the 2.01 with MBF. Nosing over the 2ct mark is a symbolic thing, plus I love fluor. It's very unlikely -- vanishingly unlikely! -- that you would see any performance decrement with MBF except in a high-UV environment. Personally, I'm almost never able to see anything in my SBF diamond except on the sunniest days, when the diamond glows gently blue and is brighter (i.e., shows more light return) than most of my friends'. I think I remember learning that sunny days (or situations with a single bright point-source of light) are great for fire but usually poor for light return with diamonds tending to go dark or blackish except for blindingly bright sparkles. Fluor -- if you see it at all -- offers a neat performance boost in UV-heavy settings while rarely impacting normal everyday appearance. There are many MANY threads about fluor on this forum, though; you don't have to take my (our) word for it just in this thread!

Agree with Stone Hunter that it's something unusual that will help everyone's peace of mind confirming it really is her diamond, too. (I think expending effort worrying about jewelers swapping stones is kind of wasteful, it is so impossibly rare, but nonetheless, it feels good to know your diamond's "fingerprint" in a lot of ways!)

ETA: Hmmm, I wonder, though -- usually there's enough of a price jump at 2ct that an I/SI1 should be pretty differently priced at 2ct vs 1.9ct. You must confirm the grade-setting inclusion isn't substantially worse to your eyes between the two, and also check whether the tint in the 2ct one is brown instead of yellow. Some prefer brown but it does discount the price since overall the market looks down upon brown-tinted (or "champagne", to use the euphemism) diamonds. Since you are setting it in rose gold some might advise a brown tint since it can look lovely with rose metal. There are several examples of RG/champagne engagement rings to admire on here, too. Just my 0.02 & suspicious mind. :)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Edscalade2191|1436910656|3902849 said:
Hi everyone,

Just two quick questions:

1) I'm deciding between two diamonds:

1.91ct, color I, ideal AGS0 cut, Si1, no flouresc
2.01ct, color I, ideal AGS0 cut, Si1, medium blue flouresc

Basically, the exact same price. Which would you prefer assuming both have been confirmed as eye-clean.

2) If my soon-to-be fiance seems to be interested in a Rose Gold setting (solitaire), would that work with the medium blue flouresc stone? I didn't know if that would work well.

Thank you!!!!!
Medium blue flourescence will have zero impact on appearance of the diamond under the vast majority of real world viewing environments. In order for the fluorescence to be activated it must not only be exposed to UV, but the UV must be of sufficient intensity. Indoor lighting, even that with a UV component, is too weak to stimulate fluorescence, unless you hold the diamond within inches of the UV source.

An overview of fluorescence can be found here:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Edscalade2191

Rough_Rock
Can't thank everyone enough for the feedback!! I've included here the Idealscope image for the 1.91ct diamond, and should hopefully receive the Idealscope image for the 2.01ct within the next day. Any perspectives are helpful as I never know how exactly to read these?!?!

I agree with the comment that you would think the 2.01ct would be higher price given the difference in size. That's the primary reason I'm leaning toward having them both sent to me. They've both been confirmed as "eye-clean" by gemologists, but I feel like I'd sleep easier having looked at both of them in person and paying the extra $50-100 for return shipping.

Again, I can't thank everyone here on Pricescope for their thoughts so far! I'll upload the 2.01ct Idealscope hopefully in the next here when received.

EK

_32411.jpg

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a little bit of light leakage under the table, but looks decent besides that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results