shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mkozaka

Rough_Rock
I apologize in advance, I''m sure this has been discussed but I searched and could not find the answer I want. Getting closer to making a purchase, ring has sidestones with H color, looking at F for center stone now. Is that appropriate? Will an E result in unwanted contrast? Thank you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 4:00:16 PM
Author:mkozaka
I apologize in advance, I''m sure this has been discussed but I searched and could not find the answer I want. Getting closer to making a purchase, ring has sidestones with H color, looking at F for center stone now. Is that appropriate? Will an E result in unwanted contrast? Thank you.
The advice is generally to keep centre and sidestones within 2 colour grades I believe, so F centre and H sides should be fine, what carat weights are we talking here? Also are you considering an E colour too and what shape are these diamonds? What type of lab grade for the centre diamonds, GIA?

mkozaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks again, Lorelei. 8 sidestones totaling .75c, center stone around 1.25c. All round diamonds with GIA reports. I was considering E as well and am open to any recommendations.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mkozaka- you mentioned 8 stones total weight .75ct- are you sure they have GIA reports?

tommalle

Rough_Rock
I actually asked a similar question recently. I have a 1.25 ct D. My band has small G-H colored diamonds in it. I noticed quite a difference in the two. I am stuck with things the way they are and it does bother me a little. I am sure down the road when I get it reset I am going to get diamonds that are closer in color.

mkozaka

Rough_Rock
Sorry, my post was confusing. The various round center stones I am looking at have GIA reports. The others do not.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d look at F-G centers if the sidestones are H. In fact, a G ideal cut stone is wonderful!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have G sides .40 each and they looked terrible with a D center. Ended up with a larger H 1.21 center and it looks amazing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 4:06:02 PM
Author: mkozaka
Thanks again, Lorelei. 8 sidestones totaling .75c, center stone around 1.25c. All round diamonds with GIA reports. I was considering E as well and am open to any recommendations.
Not sure what your budget is, but here are a few in the 1.2-1.3 range:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1844707.htm (1.2 G VS2 $8840 w/wire-pricescope discount)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1185067.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131 (1.3 G VS1 $10,480 w/ps discount)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4949/ (1.36 F VS2 $12,893 w/wire discount)

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 4:53:17 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''d look at F-G centers if the sidestones are H. In fact, a G ideal cut stone is wonderful!

ditto diamondseeker.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Love the G Diamondseeker posted - that would be my pick
30.gif
30.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/9/2009 4:57:43 PM
Author: AprilBaby
I have G sides .40 each and they looked terrible with a D center. Ended up with a larger H 1.21 center and it looks amazing!
I will assume that your side stones also did not have GIA reports.
That means the grading was done by someone other than GIA.
The point is- we don;t really know that the stones that looked bad together were actually G color, by GIA standards.

Of course the important thing is that you got a ring you love in the end- but many people would not be bothered by G sides next to a D color center- although some definitely would.
Still, even if they could notice the difference, a D next to a G would not be dramatic.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I had an E 1.02 center with G-H .04 sidestones, and the color difference always bugged me. Now I have an H center stone, and having all my stones match really made a difference. So I too would suggest staying close in color grade.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I''m the odd one out - my center is a J and my side stones a F-G and I cannot see a discernable difference....

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
It might depend on your setting. Some people feel some color difference looks great on halo settings but not as much on solitaire styles..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results