color
clarity

Color changes w tourmalines

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader Oh that stone is SO pretty! :love:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This will be the stone going in the halo - I wanted to use the dark green tourmaline for it but was worried when so many people mentioned how much darker it would be with bezeling - I just love bezels! Also @swaye2010 I would be interested in seeing that simplified CAD you mentioned that was similar to your aqua ring :)

So the question - yellow gold or white gold?? Or yellow bezel with white gold ring?? It was going to be yellow with the dark green, but with this one I don't know.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
This will be the stone going in the halo - I wanted to use the dark green tourmaline for it but was worried when so many people mentioned how much darker it would be with bezeling - I just love bezels! Also @swaye2010 I would be interested in seeing that simplified CAD you mentioned that was similar to your aqua ring :)

So the question - yellow gold or white gold?? Or yellow bezel with white gold ring?? It was going to be yellow with the dark green, but with this one I don't know.

Wow! Such a gorgeous color. It will darken a little when it is in a bezel but I still think this is light enough that it won’t go too dark. I think it would be lovely with a yellow gold inner bezel and white gold or platinum for the rest of the setting.

I am working on my CAD right now for mine. I am almost there and trying to make it look a little different then the aqua one. I went as high as 1.8mm on the bezel but I think I might come back down to 1.6. I added baguettes on the corners and designed a flowe underneath with marquise’s and a ruby and diamond cuff. I really wanted to pump up the sparkle.

Here is the simplified CAD for my ring. It wasn’t that expensive considering it is still quite a bit of gold weight. You can get a quote from my jeweler at Debebian’s (Sam). I would give him a call on the phone. He can ship anywhere you are from LA.

*Note - My halo stones are 1.3 but this one is 1.5mm.
47B9A604-21D9-4F84-B83E-511F886AD1D3.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Such a gorgeous color. It will darken a little when it is in a bezel but I still think this is light enough that it won’t go too dark. I think it would be lovely with a yellow gold inner bezel and white gold or platinum for the rest of the setting.

I am working on my CAD right now for mine. I am almost there and trying to make it look a little different then the aqua one. I went as high as 1.8mm on the bezel but I think I might come back down to 1.6. I added baguettes on the corners and designed a flowe underneath with marquise’s and a ruby and diamond cuff. I really wanted to pump up the sparkle.

Here is the simplified CAD for my ring. It wasn’t that expensive considering it is still quite a bit of gold weight. You can get a quote from my jeweler at Debebian’s (Sam). I would give him a call on the phone. He can ship anywhere you are from LA.

*Note - My halo stones are 1.3 but this one is 1.5mm.
47B9A604-21D9-4F84-B83E-511F886AD1D3.jpeg

Thank you! I might have to think of an idea for a cool gallery though :) And that is what I was thinking for this stone; yellow bezel and the rest white gold or plat. This is the original stone I was going to use, but the feedback from PSers suggested it might black out:

IMG_0662.jpg

I still really love it and will have to think of another way to set it, but I might have to hand on onto it for awhile as I didn't expect to get a whole different stone for this project!!

And I cannot wait to see the ring you are working on now!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Btw @swaye2010 I am working with Sam now with this stone and I’m excited.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Btw @swaye2010 I am working with Sam now with this stone and I’m excited.

Yeah - if you are starting with that color, it is mostly likely is going to be pretty dark in a bezel. You can expect 1-2 shades. That is what happened with my aqua. It goes even darker with the navy sapphire and green’s. Do you have an idea of what you want to do?

I also asked him for some high quality oval sapphire’s from him. I have a 5 carat natural stone but it doesn’t sparkle enough for me. I am going to save it and do a Princess Di setting at some point. I went for the lighter blue. The medium blue can even get dark at some points.

I think the only way to do a bezel it to keep two sides open. You might be able to do something like the Signature Antique that everyone has a version of now. A simple pave ring with pave is also perfect for something like this

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yeah - if you are starting with that color, it is mostly likely is going to be pretty dark in a bezel. You can expect 1-2 shades. That is what happened with my aqua. It goes even darker with the navy sapphire and green’s. Do you have an idea of what you want to do?

I also asked him for some high quality oval sapphire’s from him. I have a 5 carat natural stone but it doesn’t sparkle enough for me. I am going to save it and do a Princess Di setting at some point. I went for the lighter blue. The medium blue can even get dark at some points.

I think the only way to do a bezel it to keep two sides open. You might be able to do something like the Signature Antique that everyone has a version of now. A simple pave ring with pave is also perfect for something like this

I’m using the mint green tourmaline not the dark one; I had originally wanted to use the dark one in an art deco halo setting but that’s when everybody told me that it would be too dark. That led me to the mint green Stone that started this thread. I’m going to do a yellow gold bezel w a white gold setting.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I had to go back and look at the mint one. That is gorgeous! It is the perfect cut for a bezel because of the color. Are you doing a halo or just keeping it plain? I did a split color band and then engraved and did black rhodium plating on the yellow gold. I have a feeling you are going for a modern look here though.

As you can see on my ring above, the sapphire is just too dark for this setting. I just did a station necklace with purplish/blue sapphire’s the the stone is a nice match. I am slightly obsessed with color at the moment LOL

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I had to go back and look at the mint one. That is gorgeous! It is the perfect cut for a bezel because of the color. Are you doing a halo or just keeping it plain? I did a split color band and then engraved and did black rhodium plating on the yellow gold. I have a feeling you are going for a modern look here though.

As you can see on my ring above, the sapphire is just too dark for this setting. I just did a station necklace with purplish/blue sapphire’s the the stone is a nice match. I am slightly obsessed with color at the moment LOL

Oh wow those sapphires are amazing; when I first saw your post it was on my phone and the video didn't show only a still photo. How lovely! So I'm planning on an art deco halo ring very similar to your aqua ring. I had planned on doing that some time back with the dark tourmaline; PSers wisely cautioned me against it. If you are bored you can read about it here:

I liked the idea of this art deco ring so much though that I bought a whole different stone :lol: which is where I got to the mint tourmaline. I am still undecided about this dark green; but with setting the mint one and then my emerald I'm going to be broke so it might sit for awhile.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow those sapphires are amazing; when I first saw your post it was on my phone and the video didn't show only a still photo. How lovely! So I'm planning on an art deco halo ring very similar to your aqua ring. I had planned on doing that some time back with the dark tourmaline; PSers wisely cautioned me against it. If you are bored you can read about it here:

I liked the idea of this art deco ring so much though that I bought a whole different stone :lol: which is where I got to the mint tourmaline. I am still undecided about this dark green; but with setting the mint one and then my emerald I'm going to be broke so it might sit for awhile.
Your journey sounds a bit like mine lately. I wanted to design another version of my aqua ring with a lab diamond and I am also remaking a few pieces so that there is nothing I don’t wear sitting in my jewelry box! I also find myself buying things I don’t need but I too have to space them out. I like to gift myself at least one nice piece a year though.

I am waiting for my own ring to get done. I am excited to see how the couple changes I made with larger halo stones and the baguettes in the corner turns out. I also did 6 marquise diamond petals underneath which has been challenging my jeweler to find matching pair’s.

I used this pic as my inspo. I had an emerald version saved too and also this cool open half bezel. Something like that might work for the darker stone to protect the corners but not make it too dark.
4A322BFC-3BC8-445B-9E3B-288B5019E147.jpeg 0193040A-BD67-4F47-B4CE-531218F0ECA8.jpeg 784456D6-617F-4A3F-AC18-EDFA0A39A5DE.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results