shape
carat
color
clarity

Color changes w tourmalines

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been going down the internet and IG rabbit hole looking at tourmalines in various shades of blue and green. I would love to have one in a classic step cut in emerald shape or asscher. Just window shopping now but curious about how they change! For instance this one from Finewater looks two different colors depending on light:

Is this the case with most blue green tourmalines? What do you think of the finewater one? I’ve seen some other pretties but many from overseas.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some are definitely color shifters. That is a pretty stone for the price. I like Afghan material.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Some are definitely color shifters. That is a pretty stone for the price. I like Afghan material.

Yes I thought that price was very reasonable and was surprised it’s been around because I know many finewaters go fast.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I thought that price was very reasonable and was surprised it’s been around because I know many finewaters go fast.

Gary has a very good return policy, so I would check it out. I prefer open color tourmaline because they do not “black out” in various light sources. Afghanistan is known for it’s beautiful pastel hues.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Gary has a very good return policy, so I would check it out. I prefer open color tourmaline because they do not “black out” in various light sources. Afghanistan is known for it’s beautiful pastel hues.

Well part of the reason I’m looking at these is bc of what you said about the dark green tourmaline I have :lol:. Still thinking of that bezel halo setting....

Reactions: T L

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This one darker but also beautiful

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Gary’s better, but I’m very partial to pastel stones.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gary's hand shots are closest to the color you'll see. Bayoto's stones are pretty in person, but let's just say he really likes his light box. That stone of Gary's is really well-priced, too!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Gary's hand shots are closest to the color you'll see. Bayoto's stones are pretty in person, but let's just say he really likes his light box. That stone of Gary's is really well-priced, too!

I like the hand shot color better than the first shot but that second hand shot appears to be in sunlight. I was just reading up on Bayoto - paying seems too complicated anyway. The overseas stuff is so hard - I sent a spinel back only to have it come back to me and I still don’t know why! So had to sell on my own. Any-hoo REALLY don’t need another gem yet tempting...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a pretty stone and very reasonable price!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Does Finewater ever run sales? And/or negotiate? I signed up for newsletter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I've seen him run sales but stones also go pretty fast!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I've seen him run sales but stones also go pretty fast!

This one has been around for quite a while I saw a post from 2020 with it on IG. I don’t need it. I don’t need it. I want it I don’t need it. :wall::lol:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could always ask If he would consider a discount. I’d be more apt to do that than offer a specific, lower amount.
Asking for a “final sale/no returns” discount is also a possibility - you’ve just got to be ok with the outcome.

pretty tourmaline!
I would be curious what it looked like in direct sun.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gary's very easy to work with, and his stones are beautiful! I met with him a few times when he was here for GIA classes. He will offer a discount and does have sales with a no return policy. Certainly can't hurt to ask!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Gary is super nice just like you all said. He told me that when he checked the wholesale pricing guide that tourmalines have gone up a lot and item is actually currently underpriced. He said he would still do a 10%off but it would be final sale as you guys noted. I said I would think on it; the savings may not be worth it for the peace of mind knowing I could return if necessary. At the same time it does look to be a beautiful stone.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Module I just remembered that you were the one who posted a recent thread on your gorgeous tourmaline stone, which I had stumbled upon while searching PS for green blue ones. That stone is so dreamy.

Module

Shiny_Rock
@Module I just remembered that you were the one who posted a recent thread on your gorgeous tourmaline stone, which I had stumbled upon while searching PS for green blue ones. That stone is so dreamy.

thank you, I love that stone. Looks like the color shifting of Gary’s is quite similar to what I have. Mine amaintains mostly green indoors, with blue flashes from the middle and more green at the two ends; it can shift to sky blue outside; it can also pick up yellow sometimes depending on the surroundings.

Module

Shiny_Rock
Woo, it looks fabulous!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It’s a beauty!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s it. I’m burning my bloody credit card (after this is set).

4C9D38A2-30F3-4A4E-A60C-0519C1F3BDC2.jpeg

871B5EC2-D863-46AD-BE21-0C7F074455BD.jpeg

So glad you got this!! It’s stunning! Looks even better in your photos. Now I want one just like it :)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t even take the 10% discount bc was concerned about the final sale aspect- I needn’t have worried. :wall:

It was very smart of you to pay more for the return option. Tourmalines are hard to photograph and this color is hard to photograph so it easily could’ve been not right for you. It looks amazing. I love that color and the shape and cutting are perfection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results