shape
carat
color
clarity

color change spinel ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
This is a picture of a spinel from Vietnam that I bought as a blue spinel. In natural light it is very blue but in incandesecent light it is a slightly reddish purple color though. Any experts or for that matter anybody care to share thier thoughts as to whether this would be considered a CC stone? The photo was taken using an OTT light for the fluorescent and a GE reveal bulb for the incandescent light. The colors are very true to what I see IRL.

IMG_0778_1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CMW,
This colour shifter looks and behaves very much like the other 4 ct Vietnamese spinel I memo-ed a few months ago. This had a mix of purple and blue at the same time. It was considered a CC spinel and showed a gorgeous cornflower sapphire blue under strong sunlight, mixture of the 2 in regular sunlight and a grape-ish purple in other lights. So, yes, in my limited knowledge, I would consider this a CC spinel.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chrono, Thanks for the reply. In direct sunlight this stone shows a pretty strong red flash along with the blue . It does not really show any purple in the body color of the stone though. Although the camera does pick some up I can not see it with my eye.

I took a couple of more pics to better show the color shift/ change.

IMG_0786_1.JPG

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
And the blue. In the first picture I am getting a little blue from a fluorescent light in the background.

IMG_0787_1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds very pretty. I'm looking forward to more pictures.

ETA
Woah! That's quite a strong change. I'd consider that a CC/shifter for sure.
Say CMW, you sure that CC spinel isn't up for sale?
11.gif
9.gif
Lovely stone.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I was waiting for more photos..

I wasn''t sure with the first one if it was just anomalous or pseudo-dichroism.

However that looks like a true colour shift/cc to me.

Lovely piece!

Explanation for those who want the detail - stones like spinel and garnet are singly refractive and therefore theoretically cannot show dichroism (where a stone shows two colours at the same time due to the light rays being split into two beams of different wavelengths).

However, they can show anomalous or pseudo-dichroism - IIRC this is due to the way light is absorbed by certain stones.

Worth remembering, as lack of double refraction is normally used as a good way of separating spinel and garnet from other doubly refractive stones (tourmaline, corundum etc)

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora... thanks for the information... (not that I will remember that..LOL!) but it is a great explanation.

CMW... as always, you have the most fabulous stones. In each picture, it definately takes on a different color to my eyes. The first picture reminds me a tiny bit of my color change spinel............. I struggle to say that because I know IRL your CC spinel would blow my CC spinel out of the water!!
19.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels are one of my least favorite gems, and that''s probably because I''ve never seen one in person or in photos that I absoutely adored. However your threads are really making me drool!! Very nice stuff!!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Chrono,Pandora, R, TL. In the first picture I used a fluorescent and incandescent light to show both colors at once. Although I have no lab report I suspect this stone contains cobalt because of strong red flashes from pin point light sources.

Tourmaline lover I can''t really blame you for thinking spinels are not worthy of much effort because you have never seen one that impressed you. Good ones are extremely tough to locate and when found are even harder to seperate from the owner. Please believe me when I say that they are worth the effort though.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2008 10:31:35 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Spinels are one of my least favorite gems, and that''s probably because I''ve never seen one in person or in photos that I absoutely adored. However your threads are really making me drool!! Very nice stuff!!
There are quite a number of icky ones out there. I hope you get to see one that changes your mind!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2008 9:11:52 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 12/23/2008 10:31:35 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Spinels are one of my least favorite gems, and that's probably because I've never seen one in person or in photos that I absoutely adored. However your threads are really making me drool!! Very nice stuff!!
There are quite a number of icky ones out there. I hope you get to see one that changes your mind!
Ha! I might have to go to the Tower of London to see one in the crown jewels just to see one that impresses me. The good ones are so hard to come by.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No kidding. That''s why I''m going to pay CMW a visit.
2.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2008 9:53:39 PM
Author: Harriet
No kidding. That''s why I''m going to pay CMW a visit.
2.gif

LOL! That is what I was thinking!!!! Mrs. CMW is one lucky lady!!!!

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Well I really don''t know anything much about gems.....but love the colours of your spinel!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
WOW that''s soooo pretty! I have no idea what makes something qualify as a "color change" stone, but there certainly are different colors in the pics!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Awesome spinel!

Looks like true cc with nice hues to boot!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results