shape
carat
color
clarity

Color, Carat, or Clarity?

Which is more important to you: Color, Carat, or Clarity?

• Color

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Clarity

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Carat

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
since we know everyone prefers cut- I thought we would compare clarity, carat, color :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
For myself- Color edges out carat by a tad! Within reason though, if it means I would have to drop below my comfort zone in carat- I would waiver on color a tad, but for my Ering I am a colorless gal!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
it's really hard to answer... since I'd go down to SI eye clean clarity and down from D to G or H color for bigger carat. But i'm not willy go to down to I clarity or below I color for bigger carat...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I alway think the biggest one looks the best so carat is pretty clearly a winner for me :rodent:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315436901|3012080 said:
I alway think the biggest one looks the best so carat is pretty clearly a winner for me :rodent:

Ditto!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315436901|3012080 said:

this is true for me too- but I think that my carat/color preferences have a trade off..... if it was between a .5 D and a 1.5 I, the I wins- but if it was between a 1.5 D and a 2.0 G-H the D would win :idea:

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
1. Color
2. Clarity
3. Carat

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Carat > Clarity > Color

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
carat, clarity, color.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting to see others thinking :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
color, clarity, carat

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
Clarity, Carat, Color...

Both stones I've owned have been SI1 with no visible or non-prongable (that's only a word on Pricescope :naughty:) inclusions. I went from an H .90 to a J 1.16 because I wanted a little more carat weight on my 6.75 fingers. I figured since I was changing the head of my setting to rose gold the drop in color would be okay and so far the color has not bothered me. If I'm ever allowed another upgrade I want to get a G SI1/VS2/VS1.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carat > color > clarity

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
As long as it's eye clean, I don't care about clarity. I don't care about color above an H (ering) and J (other pieces). Then it's all about carat!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a balance of all the Cs. I can't weigh one more than the other.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1315458014|3012405 said:
As long as it's eye clean, I don't care about clarity. I don't care about color above an H (ering) and J (other pieces). Then it's all about carat!!
I agree with this. Also, I don't even care if its eye clean as long as the inclusions aren't distracting or ugly. I've seen some very nice I1s and even I2s. It really makes a difference what sort of inclusions they are, and where. Also, what sort of piece! For earrings, I would not want to "waste" a VS stone. For that matter, I am not nearly so cut-obsessed as most of PS. You don't need to have an ideally cut diamond for it to sparkle like mad. It's still a diamond.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would say caret comes first, then color and then clarity. As long as it's eye clean or prongable, clarity isn't very important to me.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree re:clarity- as long as it's eyeclean what's the difference to these eyes!

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
carat - color - clarity

that said, I do not think I would be comfortable below an I SI1

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
jewels2|1315486234|3012603 said:
carat - color - clarity

that said, I do not think I would be comfortable below an I SI1

Ditto.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All three!

I doubt anyone picks one with no regard whatsoever for the others.

We all find the compromise of all three that we are comfortable with.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Color Carat Clarity
Though it's hard to describe in the abstract, you make lists like these and then end up seeing diamonds that make you change your mind.
Generally I'm fine with a smaller diamond with a great color, but sometimes a big diamond with a lower color is so beautiful it makes me change my mind. and when I put clarity last, I'm assuming there are no eye visible inclusions. If there aren't, I don't care what the labelling is. I have an I1 that you can't see the flaw, it hides in the faceting, it's fine.
I'm also with the person above who isn't into cut grades, at least not on paper. I know cut is important to a beautiful diamond--but plenty of diamonds look great and have plenty of sparkle in all circumstances and they are not AGS 000 which, I do have one of those and I like it. But it's not all there is, as it can sound like on here sometimes. To me cut grading is a tool for internet shopping--it helps you when you can't see the diamond in person but it also tends to make you want only the highest paper cut grades which gets silly. I realized then when I saw my prized 000 next to a friend's GIA Very Good Cut and hers was just as nice as mine.

Frenchgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Clarity, color and carat

Snowy

Shiny_Rock
Hard to answer, I'd go down in carat for color and would only go down in clarity (as long as it's completely eye-clean) to go up in carat. But my eye-clean isn't the clean at 8 inches, it's completely clean at right in front of your eyeball.

So maybe Color, Carat/Clarity?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results