Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

clueless about diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bewildered

Rough_Rock
we've been looking around for a diamond engagement ring and we've these qns. sure'd appreciate it if you could help us with them!

1) heard from a local dealer that diamond prices will be raised by 10% real soon. is that true?

2) are HRD's certification standards generally lower than GIA's? we came across a dealer who's of the opinion that HRD's actually more stringent than GIA but that doesn't appear to be the opinion of many others... so who's right?? :))

larry

Rough_Rock
This is what Cut Nut had to say about top Certification order: AGS=GIA, then HRD, then a fair way to AGL Israel especially and IGI

bewildered

Rough_Rock
thanks larry for your quick reply! think i'll wanna stick with a GIA-certed diamond...

what about the 10% price increase? heard anything about that? or was it just a pressure tactic? :))

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't trust anything besides GIA or AGS. I've seen a few IGI's in the mall and so far I've found a few "I" grades that look noticably yellow compared to an F (which it really shouldn't, not to the degree I noticed anyway), and an SI1 with a pretty obvious inclusion when viewing its side (SI1 inclusions should be practically undetectable to the untrained). If you can't see it first hand, go with GIA or AGS.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/1/2002 12:20:06 PM

we've been looking around for a diamond engagement ring and we've these qns. sure'd appreciate it if you could help us with them!

1) heard from a local dealer that diamond prices will be raised by 10% real soon. is that true?

2) are HRD's certification standards generally lower than GIA's? we came across a dealer who's of the opinion that HRD's actually more stringent than GIA but that doesn't appear to be the opinion of many others... so who's right?? :))
----------------

I think I did read something about a DeBeers price increase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Reset Heirloom Engagement Ring
    Reset Heirloom Engagement Ring
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.