shape
carat
color
clarity

Cloth Diapers?

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a really good number of diapers!

The Thirsties Duo were not out when we bought all of our covers, but I wish they were! I really prefer snaps to velcro and they can come in snaps, plus the two sizes would mean buying fewer covers overall. I hear that they run a little bit slimmer than the sized ones, which I suppose could be an issue if you have a chubby baby and use the prefolds a lot, but might actually work even better with a skinny baby and/or fitteds.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What PJs do your LOs wear? N is chunky and it's hard to find jammies to fit over his big belly and cloth diapered buns.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Puppmom - Are the Carter's sleepers not big enough? What size is N now? Would separates work?

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
G's in Carters, but he's also skinny. If the sleepers aren't working for you - the cotton two-piece sets are built to be very fitted for fire-retardant reasons (have to either fit snugly or be fire retardant), and so they will actually still fit length-wise if we go up a bit in size as the ankles are still fitted enough that they won't slip over his feet. The legs just look kind of bunched up, but he isn't tripping over the legs, whereas footed PJs will trip him up if we put him in ones that are too big. I am not sure if that description makes any sense whatsoever. But maybe it's a matter of trying a different type or size?

cara

Ideal_Rock
So the thirsties duo definitely fit different than the thirsties regular. when S was little, I liked the sized thirsties regular better. The duo are narrower and have a lot more rise in them, even if you snap up the rise. Whatever, I think the duo size one never fit Silas right. And he outgrew them WAY before 18 lbs. I think I kept trying to use them up to 15 lb, but really they were too small even then and it caused problems. BUT now S's shape has changed a bit and I like the duo size 2. The sized thirsties regular are a little short in the rise for his new shape, S is still a bit of a chunkster but is lengthening out some at 6 mo, 20 lbs and 28". I have no idea if the duos will actually make it to 40 lbs on him, but I've bought more duos, less thirsties regular for his current size. Just for comparison, I also like Imse Vimse (sp?) and I still buy some Litewraps cause they are cheap, but they worked better when he was smaller. Strangely, because larger litewraps are too narrow on S and really roomy otherwise, which is not exactly consistent with S becoming more lanky less chunky with age. I think it might just be that the Litewraps are slightly different proportion in big and little sizes relative to normal babies.

FWIW.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cara, I found the thirsties duo to have too much rise fabric too. N was two snaps down at 6 months so it seemed like too much extra fabric to me - maybe it's because they're intended for larger babies? I didn't find that they were big otherwise though.

LV, N is outgrowing the 9 month snap ups and the 12 month zip up sleepers. In the snaps, some of them pop open when you pick him up and they gap all the way up! And, in the zipper ones, we have to zip him up like he’s an overstuffed suitcase – pinch and zip, pinch and zip. :lol: We have some 18 month zip ups from my nephew and they’re too long so his feet aren’t in the footies but they might work when he gets a little taller.

Blen, that makes total sense! If we do separates they’ll definitely have to be fitted at the ankle so we can either cuff or let them bunch. I was just looking at the Halo Comfort System separates and they may be an option for now. I hate how separates make him look like a big boy though. I like the baby pjs. :bigsmile:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question re: CDs and daycare -- what do you leave at daycare for soiled diapers? A wet bag, but what kind? The kind that hangs over a doorknob? I'm thinking she'll need at least 5 diapers there, so a regular big wet bag with the zipper must be too small. Does anyone bring a pail with liner in every day? One of the daycares I visited said I'd have to bring in a covered diaper pail each day and bring home each day. Seems a lot to manage with the LO in a carrier, etc.

Blenheim - I think you mentioned a few pages back that you bring a wet bag, but just wondering what kind?

TIA!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Thirsties Duo Snap - We LOVED them. O is a very tall and skinny baby so they were a perfect fit for him. They worked really well for him even when he wasn't super long though so I think they'd fit most babies well. We never had a blow out with them.

LV - I'll probably get a couple of large wet bags from Etsy. This seller has a bunch that are 17x17 which is quite large and I love the Alexander Henry fabrics.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/americancountry?section_id=7431143

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunzite - Those are adorable fabrics! :love:

After more searching, I decided to get one of these. https://www.momsmilkboutique.com/Planet-Wise-Hanging-Wet-Dry-Bag.html# It has two sides, so you can pack clean on the dry side at the start of the day. The daycare can then put wet on the other side, which is separated from the clean side. The one bag will hold all diapers for the whole day.

FYI on a nice price on new FuzziBunz here today only: https://www.ecobabybuys.com/index.php/home/fuzzibunz-perfect-size-diapers-set-of-2.html?

Does anyone use WeeHuggers??? https://www.momsmilkboutique.com/WeehuggersSnapDiaperCover.html I heart the baby blooms print. Looks like I need to get an insert and what they call a "soaker hugger", which will wick moisture away from baby. Pricey, but ADORABLE!!

Puppmom - I suspect you'll love the Groovy print! ::)

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
LV - I am so sorry that I didn't see this sooner! The good news is that I actually like the bag that you found more than the bags that we use. We take the clean diapers in a tote bag and throw in a large wetbag - we have a zippered one similar to the ones that Kunzite posted, as well as some drawstring ones that were essentially meant to be pail liners. But I really like the idea of having everything right there in one like that. We also have small zippered wet bags (similar to the ones Kunzite posted, but small) that we toss in our diaper bag for when we're out for the day.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Question:

Does anyone dry their CDs outside on a clothesline? We just installed a clothesline, and I was all psyched to use it until I remembered how everything is yellow with the horrible pollen we have this time of year in the South. So I'm thinking I need to wait until the pollen is gone, right? My allergies are worse than ever right now and DH is suffering too, so I don't think we want to bring that pollen inside, and we don't want it on C's sensitive skin.

Also, I found a solution to the FB one-size waist problem. I took the extra leg elastic that came with them and swapped out the waist elastic, which is a few inches shorter than the leg elastic. Now there is enough give in the waist for me to continue using them for the time being (the red marks, which I know are a no-no, are gone now). I also ordered some new large perfect size FBs for her to grow into.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Genius! I'm swimming in elastic and this is a great solution! N has such a chubby waist so this perfect.

We don't usually line dry because I mostly wash my dipes at night but, when I do wash on the weekend, I hang them out. The pollen is really bad here too and I didn't have any issues with it settling on my laundry this weekend.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
For anyone looking to grow their BG stash, Cotton Babies has a buy 5 get one free right now for BG 4.0 We've just been using our BG at night right now but I'm really looking forward to using them more because they're my favorite, hands down. Everyone raves about FB, but for us they're just okay. I get excited when it's time to pull out a BG! (Yep, I'm a dork!) :cheeky:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunzite, weird...I feel the opposite. Our stash is split and I much prefer the FB - I don't really have any issues with either though. N is still snapped down in the rise on the BG and sometimes the snaps pop when I'm trying to pull the diaper up. I don't usually have leaks at night unless N sleeps on his tummy. I tried unsnapping the rise on the BGs but then he started to leak at the leg. A double stuffed FB works well but it's one puffy diaper.

I just bought a few Applecheeks envelope covers and a few Loopy-Dos inserts for night time so we'll see what happens. Last night N wore a disposable because we had a handful from my brother's son. He woke up in the MOTN and he stunk like pee-pee. Ick! That never happens in a cloth dipey.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tots Bots Easy Fits!! I love 'e! I'm building up my stash, while using my small FBs that still fit S. I'm hoping the company starts selling new prints. I even e-mailed them to ask them about possible new prints. I think of these as my luxurious diaper because they are so so SOFT! They are different than FBs in that they don't have a stay-dry layer, but we change her so frequently that she doesn't seem to mind. So, yeah, I've come full circle from buying my starter stash used to buying these pricier diapers new. It all evens out in the end. Haha. Of course, I buy them from a WAHM store at 10% off, free shipping. I love my deals. I think Icekid mentioned these in this thread. I'd never heard of them before -- so thank you, Icekid!!

I've also tried weehuggers covers, which I don't love because they seem very INFLEXIBLE and therefore not as soft/plushy as I'm used to, but the print is awfully cute. I'm prepping a single prefold that I purchased just to try with those. Fun, fun! I tried the Rocky Mountain pocket diapers. Such a cute print. We don't have the fit quite right yet. It's a little leaky -- not good, to state the obvious. I have a soft bums omni on the way (just because of the cutie giraffe print). I hope to use it as a pocket, or perhaps line it with a prefold. So, yeah, I am loving the TBEFs, but still experimenting, most likely due to the time I'm spending on DiaperSwappers. I'm hoping my omni arrives today. We girls over at DS call that fluffy mail!!! DH looks at me like I'm nuts when I run around the house yelling "Fluffy Mail's Here!!"

PG - How's the line drying going? I have one FB OS, and I don't know that I'll ever figure out the elastics. The of one of them always comes out. I don't know how to make it stay inside of the fleece. :confused: The others do stay inside the little insert area though . . . thoughts?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
LV, I didn't have problems with the elastic coming out until now when she's on a big setting for her chunky thighs, so there's not much to shove up into the diaper. I always have to tuck at least some of them back in after washing.

The line drying is a success. They dry quickly and are soft to the touch, and the sun helps with stains. The pollen isn't much of a problem now (although a bee did attach itself to one of the yellow covers and I saw another bee investigating a yellow one . . . hmmm). The only things that come out stiff like boards are the extra hemp inserts (not FB brand) we got for night. I hang those in the shade, but that only helps a little. I just feel like if I'm going to run the dryer at all for that load, then what's the point, so I deal with it.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LV, yay for finding a new dipe! N's on a pretty big thigh setting and we don't have any issues with the elastic coming out of the hideaway hole. I was going to try tot bots but I'm not a big aplix fan. They are very cute!

So - our Applecheeks are, uh - awesome! We bought them for night time to solve our tummy leaking issues because they have elastic in front and back. The leg also has *ruffles* so that makes for an easy leg fit without worrying about making sure the PUL isn't turned in towards N's body at all. We stuff them with two Loopy-Dos and haven't had any leaks...even when N took up nursing in the MOTN again. I thought maybe it was the Loopy-Dos but I've stuffed them with FB inserts as well and still no leaks. My only concern is the lifespan of the elastic. It's very stretchy which is nice but looks like it would be way more difficult to replace if we need to.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
LV- Glad you love the Tots Bots. The patterns are adorable, aren't they? We still love them too!!

We have gone to disposables at night, sad to say. Jumper's diaper was leaking and soaking him and his crib EVERY night. And the diaper would sometimes be saturated, but not always. We double stuffed our FB and Tots Bots (Tots Bots worked better) but it continued to happen. He leaks up his back... poor thing. No such problem with the disposables. There is something about him lying flat that seems to cause this problem.

Any insight ladies? I am pretty annoyed!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ice, we had the same problem before moving to the Apple cheeks. If N slept on his side, he leaked at the leg. If he slept on his tummy, he leaked in the front and - you guessed it - if he slept on his back, he leaked in the back. The elastic on the ACs is different than other types. You can get it really snug without pulling too tight. Oh, and they're super cute!

We didn't have leaks all of the time but definitely often enough to be frustrating so I feel your pain. Changing the PJs and sheets sucks!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swaddlebees Econappis are on baby steals today. :))

Pupp - Why don't you like the aplix? Just curious. I didn't think I would like it, but the aplix on the Tots Bots is really strong, and the tab savers, or whatever they are called, stick well through the wash. The only aplix I have an issue with is the weehuggers. The tabs do not stay stuck in the wash. Grrr. I wanna try apple cheeks now too! No prints, though? :blackeye:

PG - Glad to hear the line drying is going well. I put mine outside, flat, yesterday and was happy to see the sun took care of a stained insert!! I am going to set up a dryer rack outside and hope to dry them outside for the most part. We'll see how it goes. Funny about the bees!!! It's nice to know I'm not the only one having to stick the elastic back in every time, but it's still a pain. Seems it'd be an easy design fix for FB . . . maybe in their next version.

Icekid - Sorry to hear about the leakage. Sounds like it's a fit issue and not an absorbency issue? Do you extra stuff at night? We don't have night leakage issues because my baby does not STTN, but that's an issue of a different sort, isn't it. Nice to see you around these parts. Hope to see some new pics of J if you get a chance! :))

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
pupp - I'm really surprised to hear that you like FB more than BG. I guess that just speaks to the fact that every baby is so different!

ice - I agree that it sounds like a fit issue. We used to have leaks at naptime when O would be in one of his FB with worn elastic. The waist elastic makes a big difference. We use a Blueberry at night and add a Thirsties doubler. He's never had a leak at night.

I sold all of my FB on CL yesterday. It feels so good to have them out of the house, like they were bad karma or something :cheeky: O wore them for about three months and we only lost $20 on the transaction. Not bad!

I found it really helpful when Blen listed her stash at the beginning of this thread, so here's what we have right now:

9 Bumgenius OS, 4.0 snaps. I love the BG themselves but the inserts are my least favorite, though I can't figure out why.

6 Blueberry OS snaps. These are hands down our favorite. They have the old two layer inserts that I LOVE. I also love the contrasting snap color, I've noticed that most diapers have matching snap colors.

6 Blueberry OS aplix. We thought about selling these because I don't like aplix, but decided to keep them and use them as our night diaper. That was a great decision because then we can make sure that we have a perfect fit for night when O is between snap sizes.

6 Thirsties doublers. Like I mentioned to ice, we use these for night and they are thin (so don't add a ton of bulk) and hold a ton! O goes nearly 11-12 hours at night without a diaper change and doesn't leak.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ice, I just thought of something else. Does Jumper wear separates to bed? When we started putting N in separates, the waist of his pants would creep into the top of his dipey and draw out the moisture. We have the same problem sometimes with onesies - the leg of the shirt will get stuck in his diaper.

LV, I shouldn't say I don't like aplix - I didn't like the aplix on Grovia (not nearly strong enough) and on Happy Heiny's. The HH aplix was strong but no matter how hard I tried following the instructions - they were wrecking the rest of my diapers in the wash. I've heard a lot of great things about the Tot Bots and Blueberry aplix though. Our stash is pretty much complete unless my chunky boy outgrows the FB so I probably won't get to try anything else. ;( Oh, and it was so HARD to resists the baby steals deal yesterday but I did it!

Kunzite, :lol: good riddens to bad karma! My complaint with the BGs is the snap-down rise. I hate how it sometimes unsnaps when you're trying to put the diaper on. I think we'll like them more when we're able to unsnap the rise. I'm also a little worried that N will outgrow the OS FBs. I know they all say they go to 35 or 40lbs but I feel like the BGs are way roomier. I would have loved to try the Blueberries. They are adorable!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I've really liked my BG cloth diapers so far, but lately we had to switch to the biggest size and undo the snaps (I hope they'll fit until he's potty trained!!) and we're having a major leakage issue at night. Adding more inserts doesn't help, it's like it slids down him tummy and leaves a gap at the leg, or something. Ugh.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Anchor, I'm not familiar with the BGs, so I'm not much help. Have you tried stripping them? Maybe they are repelling instead of leaking? But if it's a sizing issue, then maybe you can find a different brand that fits better? :( Sorry not to be much help! I know some people with heavy wetters just use disposables at night. Good luck!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
PG - Thanks! I stripped them, but it didn't resolve the issue. We've been using disposables for now, hopefully he'll grow a bit and they'll fit better at night.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Question - What are you CD mommies using for potty training? We're not there yet, but I've been wondering.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
On Applecheeks... they do come in 2 new prints. One is apples and the other is animals maybe? They are both pretty gender neutral. As far as elastic goes, I've had mine replaced on my size 1s. I sent them a pic of how my elastic was kind of "running" and they told me to ship them back to be replaced for free. They sewed it on differently the second time around and maybe even used a different type of elastic. On my size 2s, we've been using them for several months and haven't had the same issue on those. The elastic seems fine. You CAN replace it yourself but it does not seem easy. Some people specialize in elastic replacement and snap conversion for diapers though so you could always find someone online to do it so you don't have to ship all the way to Canada!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update on the Applecheeks, Oobie. We only have 3 of them and use them only at night because they're our only sure fire, leakproof solution. I have been worried about the elastic. I love the fit but it does look like it would be impossible to replace on my own. I'm thinking about upping my stash by a few diapers so I can do laundry every 3 days and I'm really leaning toward the Applecheeks.

ETA - did I really use the word only three times in one sentence? :bigsmile:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Bum Genus Elementals are on sale at cottonbabies for $17 ($8off) plus free shipping. You can also get an additional 5% off with coupon Bestdeals. This is a seconds sale...so the diapers are not used but might not have perfectly straight stictching, maybe a pen mark etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results