shape
carat
color
clarity

Close to buying

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucky201

Rough_Rock
Sorry to post again all, but I have this diamond on hold and it will only last through today so I need some feedback as soon as possible. Here are the details on the stone:

AGS Graded
1 carat
Round Brilliant
6.33x6.39x3.91
I color
SI1 clarity - small feather near the girdle, but it does not break surface and it is eye-clean
Cut – Very Good
Polish – Ideal
Symmetry – Ideal
60.8% Table
61.7% Depth
34.4 degree Crown
40.8 degree Pavillion
Flourescence: Negligible
Girdle: Thin to Thick
HCA: 2.4
Price: $4,400

Does this seem like a good deal? Or should I hold out for something better. I''m pretty happy with the size, quality and price but wanted to check with the experts.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cut isn''t the best...is that your priority?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, I would pass. have you seen the stone? I realize there are pretty stone''s that don''t necessarily score well on paper but if you are buying sight unseen, unless it''s trusted vendor I wouldn''t risk it. 4K is a lot of money..

lucky201

Rough_Rock
The vendor is abazia''s. The person I have been working with has been very helpful in getting me info on the stones I have found on their website. They have also been clear about which stones I should avoid and the depth and table dimensions I should be looking for. They also have a ten day return policy so I could definitely send it back if it''s not to my liking.

The clarity and color are really important to me and I feel that finding an AGS graded stone with such high marks in these areas would be tough for me to duplicate within these costs based on what I am seeing, though I could certainly be wrong. I am hesitant to go with a higher quality cut stone cause that seems to mean I would have to give up clarity, going as low as SI2, which I was trying to avoid.

This stone, based on the report, is really clean, which I''m really happy about. I am asking for images of the stone and am thinking about asking for an idealscope image. Would that A) even be worth it given the cut, B) be something understood industry wide and C) be something most vendors could provide? Or is it something only certain appraisers can do? Again, all of your advice is greatly appreciated.

Report-Online.jpg

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
If you find and eyeclean SI2 I say take the SI2, better cut and more bang for the money......if you do not want to get SI2 then you might have to lower carat weight to get specs you want

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since this is a AGS Diamond Quality Report where the cut is not graded by AGS, I would go search for a GIA stone as they come with less of a premium.

I check out the the stone, it should only be costing you $3960 if you pay by credit not the $4400 you listed.

lucky201

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 2:41:52 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Since this is a AGS Diamond Quality Report where the cut is not graded by AGS, I would go search for a GIA stone as they come with less of a premium.

I check out the the stone, it should only be costing you $3960 if you pay by credit not the $4400 you listed.
Stone-cold, how do you know the cut is not graded by AGS? I''m still new at this, also where did you find this stone for that price? I''m not finding it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2008 2:28:19 PM
Author: lucky201
The vendor is abazia's. The person I have been working with has been very helpful in getting me info on the stones I have found on their website. They have also been clear about which stones I should avoid and the depth and table dimensions I should be looking for. They also have a ten day return policy so I could definitely send it back if it's not to my liking.

The clarity and color are really important to me and I feel that finding an AGS graded stone with such high marks in these areas would be tough for me to duplicate within these costs based on what I am seeing, though I could certainly be wrong. I am hesitant to go with a higher quality cut stone cause that seems to mean I would have to give up clarity, going as low as SI2, which I was trying to avoid.

This stone, based on the report, is really clean, which I'm really happy about. I am asking for images of the stone and am thinking about asking for an idealscope image. Would that A) even be worth it given the cut, B) be something understood industry wide and C) be something most vendors could provide? Or is it something only certain appraisers can do? Again, all of your advice is greatly appreciated.
The table is a bit larger but it has a good angle combo which are crucial for light return so if this diamond is verified eyeclean to your standards, I would suggest asking for an Idealscope image. Not everyone wants a superideal cut diamond, if you want just a nicely cut stone then this might fit the bill. Check that the cloud inclusion isn't causing a loss of brilliance ( rare in SI1 but worth checking).

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2008 2:56:02 PM
Author: lucky201
Date: 12/2/2008 2:41:52 PM

Author: Stone-cold11

Stone-cold, how do you know the cut is not graded by AGS? I'm still new at this, also where did you find this stone for that price? I'm not finding it.

The report you pasted states the the report is a Diamond Quality Report(DQR). This is a simplified report that only grades color, clarity, polish and symm but left out cut grading, only available in Diamond Quality Document(DQD), as that requires extra cost and most stones not able to meet the AGS0 for cut is not deem worth the money for the DQD.

The abazias diamond I found matching your specs is here. Maybe they have a price reduction since when you first contacted them?

Found a 1.11c DQD AGS0 stone on bluenile that is slightly above your budget but a color grade better. Maybe you might want to consider that?
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD01441636?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

EDT:
Lorelei, I am not sure if Abazias can get IS? I am under the impressions that they are drop-shippers too, similar to BN.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually Stone Cold your info is outdated. This is the new AGS DQR which does include a cut grade. In this case it reads VG. That downgrade is caused by the girdle thickness, which is hiding weight. A 1ct stone should face up nearer 6.5mm.

Edited to add: Interesting choice by the manufacturer. If it had been submitted for the more sophisticated DQD (which judges the individual diamond's light performance) it's predicted at AGS 1-2 LP. However the girdle thickery - ranging tn-tk - knocks it down either way.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, my bad.

They are already implementing the DQR cut grading? That is the proportion based grading right? I was under the impression that they are going to use Platinum/Gold report instead of the old DQD, DQR to differentiate the 2. The weird scan of the report throws me off too. Sorry about that.

Still, there are better choices out there from BN that is just out of OP's budget.

EDT:
Another BlueNile stone.http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-i-color-si1-clarity_LD01048434?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results