shape
carat
color
clarity

Close in pulling the trigger on this diamond, please evaluate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
After weeks of searching, I have preliminarily decided on this diamond for my E-ring. All the ideal rocks, cut rocks, and rough rocks, please, give me your honest opinion on this one. Please point out anything that''s less than desirable.

Spec:
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Color: I
. Clarity: VS2
. Carat: 1.15
. Depth %: 60.7
. Table %: 57
. Crown Angle: 35
. Crown %: 15.5
. Star : 50
. Pavilion Angle: 40.6
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 80
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.76-6.81X4.12
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

DI40X_GIA-15241349.jpg

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Idealscope:
IS_GIA-15241349.jpg

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
AGS report:
ci_GIA-15241349.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
attractive

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks good!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
definitely a winner...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Lovely! look at the crisp arrows! YUM.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Ideally, if this stone is an "G" or "H", I would''ve already bought it.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
It looks to be a very pretty stone.

shay

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Anyone with constructive criticisms?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s nothing to criticise.
2.gif

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
I just contacted the vendor (Whiteflash) regarding this diamond. When I asked about how I would like to choose an independent appraiser to evaluate the diamond, this is the response I received:

Most of our customers do not have us send the diamond to an appraiser. We have an appraiser check everything that is shipped out here and he issues a letter of verification that confirms that the diamond matches the certificate and is in perfect condition at time of shipment. In addition, all the images and reports are posted on the website. However, if you choose the appraiser option we will gladly take care of it.

Is it true that WF chooses an "independent" appraiser? Or should I be cautious and go with the route I originally planned?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 11:24:10 PM
Author: wimpwgn
I just contacted the vendor (Whiteflash) regarding this diamond. When I asked about how I would like to choose an independent appraiser to evaluate the diamond, this is the response I received:

Most of our customers do not have us send the diamond to an appraiser. We have an appraiser check everything that is shipped out here and he issues a letter of verification that confirms that the diamond matches the certificate and is in perfect condition at time of shipment. In addition, all the images and reports are posted on the website. However, if you choose the appraiser option we will gladly take care of it.

Is it true that WF chooses an ''independent'' appraiser? Or should I be cautious and go with the route I originally planned?
depends on how you define independant.
An appraiser is working for the person paying him/her.

A truely independant appraiser working for you is always good but its not required, if it makes you more comfortable then use one.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This diamond looks very beautiful and the specs are fine. However, if you are unsure there is a 10 day return period and you could take it to the appraiser of your choice during this time to give you peace of mind. To look up appraisers in your area go to the resources tab, then appraisers, then your area. The I color is probably fine, but some people are more sensitive than others. Again, the return period should take care of this.

EDIT: By the way, the diamonds in my avatar are from WF. The center is an H and the others are I's, can you tell the difference? I haven't been able to yet.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 1:00:29 AM
Author: kcoursolle
This diamond looks very beautiful and the specs are fine. However, if you are unsure there is a 10 day return period and you could take it to the appraiser of your choice during this time to give you peace of mind. To look up appraisers in your area go to the resources tab, then appraisers, then your area. The I color is probably fine, but some people are more sensitive than others. Again, the return period should take care of this.

EDIT: By the way, the diamonds in my avatar are from WF. The center is an H and the others are I''s, can you tell the difference? I haven''t been able to yet.

Thanks for the reply.

I personally can''t tell the color difference at all. Seems like every diamond I see is a "D".
9.gif
A lot of times, I can''t tell the difference between blue and green. I guess I''m somewhat color blind.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, personally, see no reason whatsoever to have a diamond from WF reappraised. You already have verification from AGS or GIA of the stone''s grading and verification from another appraiser that the stone matches the cert. WF is an honest company. I''d put that money towards the setting.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 10:49:34 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I, personally, see no reason whatsoever to have a diamond from WF reappraised. You already have verification from AGS or GIA of the stone''s grading and verification from another appraiser that the stone matches the cert. WF is an honest company. I''d put that money towards the setting.
i agree ds. the appraisers hate me for it but i just think it is a waste of money to reverify what''s already been verified!
as ds said, you are getting the grading report and verification from another appraiser that the stone matches the grading report, how many times do you need to verify?
37.gif

all of that said, you need to do what makes you feel most comfortable.
2.gif
we''re just trying to save you some time and money based on our experience.
2.gif

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
I totally understand.

Is everyone who purchased from WF happy even without going to an appraiser of your choice? Will the appraiser report issued from WF sufficient for insurance quote?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 11:04:18 AM
I totally understand.

Is everyone who purchased from WF happy even without going to an appraiser of your choice? Will the appraiser report issued from WF sufficient for insurance quote?
absolutely! no one forced me to not go with an appraiser. i was confident in my decision to forego the appraiser after my purchases (all of them!) from wf.
and yes, the appraisal/verification that they send does work for insurance purposes.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 11:29:24 AM
Author: belle
Date: 12/21/2006 11:04:18 AM

I totally understand.

absolutely! no one forced me to not go with an appraiser. i was confident in my decision to forego the appraiser after my purchases (all of them!) from wf.

and yes, the appraisal/verification that they send does work for insurance purposes.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with WF. Should I still order only the center stone and inspect it before sending it back to have them set? Or, should I just order the center stone and the setting together and have them set it before I take a look?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, while I think Whiteflash is a very trustworthy vendor, who would not want to risk the reputation they have worked hard to build by having the stone be something other than what they have represented, my husband insists that everything we purchase of any reasonable cost be evaluated by an independant appraiser. It gives him a comfort level to buy sight unseen from people he hasn''t met.

Early in our marriage he bought me a ring that was not what they told him what it was. (The emerald was treated, not natural.) We found out about it when having it appraised years later. Using an independant appraiser is just extra insurance that you are getting what you think you are paying for. It''s not required, but it''s nice to have.

I''m sure the documentation that Whiteflash will provide you is enough for insurance to cover you. Whether it will provide the level of detail that you would want if you actually have to have the stone replace, I don''t know. You might ask them about that. The more detail the insurance company has, the better your chances of getting a truly comparable stone if you ever have to have it replaced.

Congrats! Looks like a beautiful stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 10:54:44 AM
Author: belle
Date: 12/21/2006 10:49:34 AM

Author: diamondseeker2006

i agree ds. the appraisers hate me for it but i just think it is a waste of money to reverify what''s already been verified!

as ds said, you are getting the grading report and verification from another appraiser that the stone matches the grading report, how many times do you need to verify?
37.gif

all of that said, you need to do what makes you feel most comfortable.
2.gif
we''re just trying to save you some time and money based on our experience.
2.gif

i agree if you''re just buying the stone and having it sent to you. However, if you''re getting the stone and setting I think having someone independant look at it would bring me peace of mind. there was a pricescope member who bought a stone and setting from WF and it went straight to the appraiser. he was the one to catch that the stone had been chipped while it was being set. WF was great about making it right but had that ring not gone directly to the appraiser it probably would have been hard to prove where/when/how the stone got chipped, once it was discovered. I bought my stone from Pearlman''s and completely trust them as well, but I will have the stone and setting appraised by someone independant, unfortunately, mistakes do happen.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 11:31:58 AM

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with WF. Should I still order only the center stone and inspect it before sending it back to have them set? Or, should I just order the center stone and the setting together and have them set it before I take a look?
i would just have them set it to save time and money that might otherwise be lost in redundant shipping. if you love it, you''re good to go! but if for some reason you didn''t like it, you could still send it back and have another stone put in the setting. you get the best of both worlds that way.
2.gif

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for everyone's honest opinions and insight.

Is it not preferred to have a set stone taken to the appraiser? If I were to have it checked out by appraiser, isn't it the best to send loose stone instead? Will the appraiser be able to use all his/her tools to verify while the stone is already set?

Should I talk to my appraiser before I decide to buy loose stone first or the set ring together?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 11:50:36 AM

Is it not preferred to have a set stone taken to the appraiser? If I were to have it checked out by appraiser, isn''t it the best to send loose stone instead? Will the appraiser be able to use all his/her tools to verify while the stone is already set?

Should I talk to my appraiser before I decide to buy loose stone first or the set ring together?

it is better for the appraiser to examine the stone loose if you want all the info and reports they can run. But, WF is providing you all of that info so I probably would not have someone do it again. I''d just want the appraiser to verify the stone is the one I bought and matches the report (which they can do while it''s set) and then add on the setting for insurance. It would definitely get costly sending the stone to the appraiser back to WF for the setting and then back to the appraiser again. It''s personal, to some it''s worth it, and to others it''s not. You just have to do what you feel most comfortable with.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 11:56:17 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Is it not preferred to have a set stone taken to the appraiser? If I were to have it checked out by appraiser, isn''t it the best to send loose stone instead? Will the appraiser be able to use all his/her tools to verify while the stone is already set?

it is better for the appraiser to examine the stone loose if you want all the info and reports they can run. But, WF is providing you all of that info so I probably would not have someone do it again. I''d just want the appraiser to verify the stone is the one I bought and matches the report (which they can do while it''s set) and then add on the setting for insurance. It would definitely get costly sending the stone to the appraiser back to WF for the setting and then back to the appraiser again. It''s personal, to some it''s worth it, and to others it''s not. You just have to do what you feel most comfortable with.

Okay, this is what I''m going to do meanwhile. I will talk to the appraiser near my area and ask him/her what kind of test can he/she do while the stone is set. However, I''m also wondering what kind of appraisal report will WF provide and what information will it include.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 11:56:17 AM
Author: mrssalvo

yep, what she said.
2.gif

you are on the right track by gathering information and finding out what the pros and cons are for each situation. you can then do what you are comfortable with wimgwgn.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 12:03:27 PM

Okay, this is what I''m going to do meanwhile. I will talk to the appraiser near my area and ask him/her what kind of test can he/she do while the stone is set. However, I''m also wondering what kind of appraisal report will WF provide and what information will it include.
the appraisal/verification is just that. it is a letter from an appraiser that states the stone that you bought matches the grading report and gives an appraisal value. you will also want to save all of the information (photos, idealscope images, sarin) that is available for your stone because you can use them for insurance purposes as well.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Belle.

I''m glad I brought up this question, comments from you and others definitely saved me a bunch of money. I will, however, bring it to the appraiser and have him/her look at it after it has been set. Now, I just need to hear back from WF so I can complete the order.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results