shape
carat
color
clarity

Close enough to colorless spinel

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was so happy to see that you got this spinel, Liz!!! It''s fantastic, and Barry''s cutting is perfect - as usual!

I''m loving both Leons, but I suspect side diamonds will likely help enhance the very slight pink/peach body colour. I wish I had some pics of my "colorless" spinel before it was set. Because once I haloed it, it turned a definite baby pink/lavendar. It wasn''t quite as colourless on my hand as this one, though.

Either way, can''t wait to see what you do with it!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
So purrty, I love it! I prefer the first prong, and anything that will bring out the subtle pink.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I had heard that true colorless spinel has never been found in nature but that one is pretty darn close I must say..fairly rare I would think being so lacking in color..nice!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2010 8:46:51 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
That second setting, with the prongs in rose gold, is how I would go about it
1.gif
I love this stone, but that''s because I have one similar that isn''t as well-cut. Pretty pretty!

I copycat MP and vote this.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the record, the colorful flashes in the last few pictures are the peach stucco on my house, and the blue is from my blue shirt and the blue sky. I cannot see any pink except in pictures, and even then it''s extremely subtle--like in the pavilion view.

As requested, I snapped a few with the gray spinel, which I happened to be wearing today! It''s a 1.6ct, also from Barry, and 7mm. It''s also set pretty high, and the setting the colorless one is resting on is flat on the finger, so the size difference is not that big.

IMG_9241 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I wish these weren''t so blurry. Sorry guys.

IMG_9243 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one.

Also, I'd want to go with super narrow strands like the second Leon, and NO diamonds. But I would have the strands narrow like the first Leon. And no rose gold on this stone. It wouldn't look right--it really is super white. My almost white tourmaline is YELLOW compared to this stone.

IMG_9244 freke.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Any chance you can put the spinel beside a white topaz and a diamond? I would love to see the comparison.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke,
I definitely see the hint of pink in all your pictures. The high crown and fabulous cutting sure make it a sparkler! With the high RI, I can imagine it might seem like a colourless diamond to some people. I second Charmy’s suggestion of placing it next to your other colourless stones to see the difference.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Freke, thankyou for posting the comparison pics - grey spinel vs colourless. That''s made it a lot clearer for me. Appreciate it
1.gif

Mac

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 8:30:49 AM
Author: Chrono

Freke,
I definitely see the hint of pink in all your pictures. The high crown and fabulous cutting sure make it a sparkler! With the high RI, I can imagine it might seem like a colourless diamond to some people. I second Charmy’s suggestion of placing it next to your other colourless stones to see the difference.

I have several "colorless-white" stones and tried to do comparison pics, but they didn''t turn out very well. I''ll try again later today (after I get some chores/errands done) and see if I can do any better. If they turn out, I''ll start a new thread, so as not to hijack this one.

White stones are the worst to photograph IMHO. I have a "diamond white" spinel, a "silver white" topaz, a white zircon and an androite toumaline to compare.... what I don''t have is a loose diamond
emsmileo.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have this stone, a white diamond (think it's an I?) and white/silver/colorless topaz. I'll try to remember to take pics tomorrow. Oh and the almost white tourmaline. Just a warning, they are all different shapes and sizes, from this little guy to a 1.52ct princess diamond, the 4.45 and 7.41ct supernova topazes and the 1.9 Barry cushion tourmaline...should make for an interesting picture...

ETA: I am not looking forward to taking pictures of these stones. White stones do seem to be the hardest to photograph, with their reflective qualities and the fact that they seem to absorb any and all color in a room...and I have no all white rooms to take pictures in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results