shape
carat
color
clarity

Clear vs white diamond

gotg

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on why some diamonds are clear/translucent vs white?

My engagement ring looks really icy white. I’ve always really liked the clear look when looking at pictures online. Initially, I thought it may be due to lighting or maybe just how pictures are sometimes. I recently met up with some friends and noticed that theirs are more translucent. This is my first stone so I had no reference point on what it could look like in person until I finally got to see people recently.

My diamond is VS2, F, medium fluorescent (but I don’t think it’s cloudy).

Would the specs indicate if your diamond would be clear vs white? If I wanted to exchange it, how would I go about getting a clear one?

F3E66B91-B2E1-4790-A49D-B297897BBF00.jpeg

In low lighting it looks a bit more translucent. But when I looked at my friend‘s diamond side by side in same lighting, hers definitely looked more clear and mine more white.

Appreciate any input!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you find a picture of what you mean by "clear"? I am not understanding what you mean by clear vs. white

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
What are your VS2 inclusions and who graded it? What are their specs? You are saying yours is less clear or your friend's stone is less clear? Sorry, it isn't clear. (haha?)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I don't understand what you mean by "clear." Based on your photo, I don't see anything off with your diamond.

Are you comparing similar cuts? I could see how a rose cut for example might seem more "clear" than a round brilliant because of fewer facets.

gotg

Rough_Rock
What are your VS2 inclusions and who graded it? What are their specs? You are saying yours is less clear or your friend's stone is less clear? Sorry, it isn't clear. (haha?)

GIA, needles and cloud? Not sure

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
That's not a diamond you posted for your "clear" example, so its going to look different than your ring.

Moissanite =/= Diamond

gotg

Rough_Rock
Another person posted a similar question but I couldn’t find the answer in her thread:

She has a better example/comparison

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like your comparing diamonds to lab diamonds and prefer the “clear” look of the Non-natural diamond.

gotg

Rough_Rock
Looks like your comparing diamonds to lab diamonds and prefer the “clear” look of the Non-natural diamond.

Oooohhhh, got it

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When its returning light it looks white or fiery..
When not it looks like crystal.
The goal of a well cut diamond is to return light as often as possible.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing the grading report is a good idea. The other thing I want to ask is if you clean your ring often? Do you have an ultrasonic? Diamonds must be kept clean to look their best. Dirty stone can look lifeless.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Yup, I think you like the look of a poorly cut leaky diamond :). Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder which is why checking many diamonds in person is important. What we consider ideal might not be ideal in your eyes.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
I wish folks would stop using translucent as a description of a diamond. Clear is perfectly fine-to me translucent is like looking through a piece of tissue paper that has a light behind it. I certainly wouldn't want a diamond that matched that description. Am I missing something in the definition of 'translucent'?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wish folks would stop using translucent as a description of a diamond. Clear is perfectly fine-to me translucent is like looking through a piece of tissue paper that has a light behind it. I certainly wouldn't want a diamond that matched that description. Am I missing something in the definition of 'translucent'?

maybe they mean transparent?

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Op may have a 60/60 diamond. My ering is a 60/60 and looks very white and 'solid' compared to my BGD Black with the same specs, which DOES look more transparent and has a depth to it. And it is by no means leaky or poorly cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results