shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning Your Ring While Travelling

jan can

Shiny_Rock
After over three weeks of vacation, my ring, especially the stone, was looking cloudy. I travel with a single carry-on so that little baggie can't hold much more in the way of liquids. Any suggestions for things I can use to clean my ring when travelling.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bring an extra tooth brush and Q-Tips.
Then when arrive at my destination I buy a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol at a food store.
It's usually under $1.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
sorry for the threadjack...kenny would you say isopropanol/q-tips is the best way to clean diamonds? i think you have posted about this previously but search isn't working?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take a baby toothbrush, even hot water is enough in a pinch

jgny

Shiny_Rock
I bring those little tablets of denture cleaner (e.g. efferdent), drop it in warm water, and let it fizz away.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47 said:
sorry for the threadjack...kenny would you say isopropanol/q-tips is the best way to clean diamonds? i think you have posted about this previously but search isn't working?

Yes, at least for our tension set rings.
An intricate setting with lots of nooks and crannies that a tooth brush could not reach into may require an ultrasonic or steam cleaner.

Again, here's what I do. . .

Pour some Isopropyl Alcohol (IA) into the cap, if you don't have a Menda dispenser.
Dip brush in clean IA (90% is better than 70%).
Brush ring over the sink so most of the contaminated IA splatters away.
Dip brush back into clean IA.
Brush vigorously again.
Repeat 4 or 5 times.

Dry with compressed air and or Q-Tips.
I'll use 3 or 4 Q-Tips so I am extra super duper sure any remaining residue is not spread around the diamond.

After cleaning this way louping the stone reveals absolute no residue on the stone, even right next to the ring.
I'm certain that even the best professional ultrasonic or steam cleaner could not get the diamond any more clean.

MendaPump.jpg

Daniel S.

Rough_Rock
jgny said:
I bring those little tablets of denture cleaner (e.g. efferdent), drop it in warm water, and let it fizz away.

Is this effective, I have never heard this before? Can this damage rings that are more delicate rings with micro-pave or melee stones?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
For $20 I purchased a small sonic cleaner that runs on 4 AAA batteries. It works great. As for the liquid, you can buy small little concentrate tubes for the cleaner (mine came with a sample of it and it is under 3oz.) Save the big bottles for at home use, and use the small concentrates for plane travel

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Yssie said:

Ditto this, I used a baby toothbrush and regular old hotel soap ( :shock: ) on my last trip. Although I'm way intrigued by Kenny's method...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lurchie said:
Yssie said:

Ditto this, I used a baby toothbrush and regular old hotel soap ( :shock: ) on my last trip. Although I'm way intrigued by Kenny's method...

I worked in aerospace manufacturing for a couple decades and this was one way we'd clean flux and other goo off of tiny soldered electronic parts.

Next the parts went to a quality inspector, with a $20,000 stereo microscope and special lighting, looking for minute traces of residue.

The process can work really really well.
The key is splattering away the contaminated fluid and repeating enough times till there is no gunk getting into the fluid.
And if you pour the IA into the cap discard it after use - do not pour it back into the bottle.

The whole process takes me about 40 seconds.

jan can

Shiny_Rock
Great advice Kenny. I'm now going to pack a small brush and tiny bottle of IA to tide me over just in case there isn't a drug store nearby.

I'm also going to pack a few Connoisseur dry clean clothes to shine up the gold band and my bracelets.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Daniel S. said:
jgny said:

Is this effective, I have never heard this before? Can this damage rings that are more delicate rings with micro-pave or melee stones?

Yes, it's fine. If you use the Jewelry Jet steam cleaner, their pre-cleaning tablets are nothing more than denture cleaner. Right now, my rings all come out minty fresh, lol.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my daughter worked at sunglass hut for a couple of years and she got me a little eyeglass cleaning kit, that I keep in my
purse. I refilled it, and that is what I use with a little kid toothbrush. Works great!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny Posted:
Pour some Isopropyl Alcohol (IA) into the cap, if you don't have a Menda dispenser.
Dip brush in clean IA (90% is better than 70%).
Brush ring over the sink so most of the contaminated IA splatters away.
Dip brush back into clean IA.
Brush vigorously again.
Repeat 4 or 5 times.

Dry with compressed air and or Q-Tips.
I'll use 3 or 4 Q-Tips so I am extra super duper sure any remaining residue is not spread around the diamond.

Kenny:
I just tried this and it works GREAT!
I have open culet settings and they are sooooo sparkly now!
Thanks for the great tip.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I use isopropyl alcohol for nearly all of my colored gemstone pieces, as well. I just checked, and mine is 70%. Thanks for the procedure, Kenny. Off to the drugstore to look for 90%. :))

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I use alcohol and a toothbrush on my diamond stud earrings. Just a tip- be sure to put the drain plug down before starting. :-o

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Another "tool in the (vacation-cleaning) tool-kit" is that little "vial" of Conessieurs (sp?!) cleaner with mascara-like brush enclosed. It's light and easy-breezy and does a pretty good job.

Although I'm off to look for 90% alcohol now, too!!! ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys, glad to help.

Q-Tips are adequate for a tension setting but for a diamond in prongs I'd get a can of compressed air.
Even if it is very very clean you'd rather the fluid be immediately removed from the diamond than allowed to dry on it.
AND 90% IA will evaporate even faster than 70%.

I'd say this would go for ultrasonics too.
The cleaning fluid gets contaminate by the gunk it removed.
Why allow it to evaporate and leave a little film on the diamond?
Blow that contaminated liquid away.
You may find this results in your ultrasonic working better than ever.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
awesome thanks for the tips kenny :) i'll get all this stuff before I get my diamond!

yssie you said you use acetone? any compare/contrast between the two?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha yup kenny's choice of cleaner isn't poisonous ;))

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ehh they're both poisonous...i just meant as effective cleaning agents

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha well acetone cleans wonderfully IMO, it's just a pain (but really important) to avoid the fumes - not something I'd advise for traveling, that's for sure

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you use lab grade, correct?

don't they sell acetone as nail polish remover?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47 said:
you use lab grade, correct?

don't they sell acetone as nail polish remover?

I do, but I reckon that would work well too.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
I use window glass cleaning agent with ammonia base and it works just fine, squeaky clean! :bigsmile:

rushee

Rough_Rock
megeve|1279603872|2651535 said:
I use window glass cleaning agent with ammonia base and it works just fine, squeaky clean! :bigsmile:

I just learned, you should never use window cleaner or ammonia with rhodium (my understanding is most, if not all, 14K gold has rhodium).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rushee|1476641444|4087686 said:
megeve|1279603872|2651535 said:

I just learned, you should never use window cleaner or ammonia with rhodium (my understanding is most, if not all, 14K gold has rhodium).

Right, you can use window cleaner on platinum, though. Most white gold does have rhodium plating, but not all.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Toothbrush and liquid soup, shampoo, or bath gel found in your hotel room or in our case, cruise ship cabin.
The idea is to cut the grease. Squirt on the brush and scrub the pavillion (which is why the pavillion is accessible on all my rings).
Rinse with water.

Btw, I do this without removing the ring on my finger.

The esteemed John Pollard visited hubby and I once in Half Moon Bay, he said my CBI rhr was filthy, so off to the bathroom I went to clean it.

Dakota

Rough_Rock
With all the different textures and settings, I would think that steam cleaning would be the safest method. It may not be the most effective, but I'm always worried about damage.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
For traveling, if a drug store isn't available (e.g. in a car, on a plane, etc.) try Zeiss lens wipes. A little squish of the wipe to get the liquid into the pavilion area and then wipe it all around. Dries in the air with some hand waving. Not the best normal method but on the go it's quick and easy.

Normal method (I clean my wife's rings for her sometimes) is very hot water, Dawn dish detergent, and a baby toothbrush. :wavey:

Will try Kenny's method next. :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results