shape
carat
color
clarity

Claw Prongs bad workmanship?

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A little off topic but I’m curious how you like the size of your stone? Are you loving it?! Remind me stats again?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
CC447598-A6B6-4E31-9113-13DE1DB665A2.jpeg I really only wore the ring while sitting at my desk and I definitely didn’t pull on the hair or fuzzies.

So I presume I’ll have to ship my 40k+ Ring to London. Where there actually are customs problems due to Brexit.
Again I love my ring but I really don’t find the vendor to be very customer oriented. I will loose any guarantee letting another jeweller fix it. The only option she is giving me is to send my ring to London with huge customs implications and costs. I might as well send it to the US.

My diamond measures 10.5mm. I wear a 6.25-6.5 ring finger. I LOVE the size. I first was a bit hesitant but after a week I can say it’s perfect! I had the diamond recut, so I really didn’t know what the diamond would look like and I’m 95% happy about the cut. And I’m sure it will grow on me even more.

Attachments

• 0C6E51E8-9C51-480F-ACD2-D43B3D0A6230.jpeg
    0C6E51E8-9C51-480F-ACD2-D43B3D0A6230.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 125
  • B36FCDD2-D5E1-4FB5-8D23-B1E65DF33C87.jpeg
    B36FCDD2-D5E1-4FB5-8D23-B1E65DF33C87.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
genuine question.
what would be your ideal customer oriented action from a vendor in this situation? After the initial direct shipment to you wasnt straighforward easy via vendors std policy, if im remembering correctly?
unfortunately (hindsight being 20/20 and all) the ring wasn’t shipped to a neutral party appraiser for complete inspection to clarify whether it’s a newly raised prong or passed QC that way.

I hope you find a solution that’s acceptable to all parties involved... and im curious about that 5% unhappy in the recut, what that is?

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your local jeweller doesn't need to be able to make nicely clawed prongs. All they need to do is push a slightly lifted prong back down onto the stone - which is a diamond, very hardy as far as these things go, not something soft like an opal or a pearl. This is something that even their youngest/newest associate should be able to do without thinking twice.

I think this is getting so much more complicated than it needs to be. You can't possibly ship the ring out - or any other piece! - every time you need to have prongs tightened a bit. I really, really, really recommend visiting your local jeweller.

Edit: If you were in America, or London, or somewhere near one of Erika's retailers, I'd definitely recommend going there over anyone else. But given that you aren't, and using any of her retailers is always going to be a huge and expensive hassle, I don't think you actually lose anything by voiding her guarantees. Just make sure your own insurance on this piece is up-to-date before taking it in for repair.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
genuine question.
what would be your ideal customer oriented action from a vendor in this situation? After the initial direct shipment to you wasnt straighforward easy via vendors std policy, if im remembering correctly?
unfortunately (hindsight being 20/20 and all) the ring wasn’t shipped to a neutral party appraiser for complete inspection to clarify whether it’s a newly raised prong or passed QC that way.

I hope you find a solution that’s acceptable to all parties involved... and im curious about that 5% unhappy in the recut, what that is?

I think in this situation it would be forthcoming if I would be able to bring my ring to a jeweller local to me in my country maybe even my city (a big Western European city) without loosing the guarantee with my vendor.

The 5% don‘t make me unhappy. It’s just that sometimes the facets under the table sometimes are dark due to obstruction. I understand obstruction happens with any diamond so I’m sure the obstruction will grow on me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d honestly try to see if I could push the prong down myself very carefully.

You really need a fairly local jeweler for routine little things like this or sizing. I’d only send back to the original vendor internationally if the whole head or prong fell off. Since that’s very unlikely to happen with high quality jewelry, I’d certainly not worry about having someone else push this prong down.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you asked the vendor if you doing so - or taking to local jeweler for this instance
will absolutely void your vendors warranty?
if this is the concern you are worried about.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your local jeweller doesn't need to be able to make nicely clawed prongs. All they need to do is push a slightly lifted prong back down onto the stone - which is a diamond, very hardy as far as these things go, not something soft like an opal or a pearl. This is something that even their youngest/newest associate should be able to do without thinking twice.

I think this is getting so much more complicated than it needs to be. You can't possibly ship the ring out - or any other piece! - every time you need to have prongs tightened a bit. I really, really, really recommend visiting your local jeweller.

Edit: If you were in America, or London, or somewhere near one of Erika's retailers, I'd definitely recommend going there over anyone else. But given that you aren't, and using any of her retailers is always going to be a huge and expensive hassle, I don't think you actually lose anything by voiding her guarantees. Just make sure your own insurance on this piece is up-to-date before taking it in for repair.

Everything said here is spot on!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
without loosing the guarantee with my vendor.

What does the guarantee provide?
Or rather - is anything that's in your guarantee ever going to be worth the expense and hassle that using it comes with, in your situation as an international client?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the guarantee provide?
Or rather - is anything that's in your guarantee ever going to be worth the expense and hassle that using it comes with, in your situation as an international client?

I think this is what it boils down to.
if warranty retention is the actual main concern with OP.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock

have you asked the vendor if you doing so - or taking to local jeweler for this instance
will absolutely void your vendors warranty?
if this is the concern you are worried about.

I usually travel to the US frequently. I planned on bringing my ring to my original vendor at least once a year for a check up. Having the ring touched by somebody else will void my warranty (and even if I'll only use it for a yearly check up I ideally would like to keep the warranty).

As COVID won't allow me to travel to the US soon I will have to find a local jeweler for my ring and I will have to forgo my warranty.

The vendor could have offered to let me keep the warranty even though I will have to let a "foreign" goldsmith touch the ring. But she didn't. Which is fine. I just have seen far better customer service from other vendors. She also made it sound like I was being rough with my ring - even though I haven't been rough with it.

Thank you for all your advice! I will now try and find a new jeweller for my ring.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 5% don‘t make me unhappy. It’s just that sometimes the facets under the table sometimes are dark due to obstruction. I understand obstruction happens with any diamond so I’m sure the obstruction will grow on me.

it would be interesting to hear from someone who has a branded cut like yours, if their center flower facets really do alternate one by one off and on (most if not all the time) not 2-5 facets going on/off together.
is this what you are seeing?

and
I wonder ( if vendor would be agreeable) - what would it involve with you following up with your plans aftercovidtimes to travel to vendor once a year to have it checked by them, after you get that one prong snugged by a local person due to necessity? I mean you aren’t trying to talk them into what they’ve already declined. You are maybe just wanting to follow through with original vendor doing yearly inspection coinciding with travel you’ve got planned anyways.
Maybe seeing your ring hasn’t been mangled by a jeweler outside of their approval would be beneficial to you both.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just curious about what the warranty entails. I never even thought about the warranty when I got my setting from victor. I didn’t even know there was a thing. Maybe there is. The only thing I care about is that he will continue to fix or repair my ring at some point in the future. Of course I’d pay him if he services it. Is the warranty for something specific? I meant this with regard to future service by Erika. For example, LV won't even touch a bag that has been worked on by someone else. Is that the case with Erika?

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just curious about what the warranty entails. I never even thought about the warranty when I got my setting from victor. I didn’t even know there was a thing. Maybe there is. The only thing I care about is that he will continue to fix or repair my ring at some point in the future. Of course I’d pay him if he services it. Is the warranty for something specific? I meant this with regard to future service by Erika. For example, LV won't even touch a bag that has been worked on by someone else. Is that the case with Erika?

I would assume so. I honestly have no idea what sort of warranty or guarantee Erika provides, but I can't think of any vendor who won't void it the moment one of their pieces is touched by another jeweller. I think it would be much too risky to start saying this is acceptable outside work but this is not - you just *know* some customers (not Lessics, but some other customers!) will try their hardest to stretch those inches into miles ;(

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would be curious as to what warranty is provided.

One of the EW vendors offers this warranty, for all pieces.

However, designer charges are not covered. You have to pay for them.

Her London retailer has a slightly more restrictive warranty and only for a year.

This is where having a local person that you can trust for basic things becomes really important.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I’d honestly try to see if I could push the prong down myself very carefully.

You really need a fairly local jeweler for routine little things like this or sizing. I’d only send back to the original vendor internationally if the whole head or prong fell off. Since that’s very unlikely to happen with high quality jewelry, I’d certainly not worry about having someone else push this prong down.

Honestly, same. It is lifted so slightly in the photo.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I usually travel to the US frequently. I planned on bringing my ring to my original vendor at least once a year for a check up. Having the ring touched by somebody else will void my warranty (and even if I'll only use it for a yearly check up I ideally would like to keep the warranty).

As COVID won't allow me to travel to the US soon I will have to find a local jeweler for my ring and I will have to forgo my warranty.

The vendor could have offered to let me keep the warranty even though I will have to let a "foreign" goldsmith touch the ring. But she didn't. Which is fine. I just have seen far better customer service from other vendors. She also made it sound like I was being rough with my ring - even though I haven't been rough with it.

Thank you for all your advice! I will now try and find a new jeweller for my ring.

I would have been a little put off by the response. It's not "bad" per say - but for a 5k solitaire I'd like a little more "high touch" service.

Good luck and hope you get this fixed ASAP!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Regarding the Erika Winters warranty being voided by an outside jeweler gently flattening a stuck up prong.

This is a rather simple ring, as far as settings go. It’s delicate though.

I honestly can’t imagine what could go wrong to the ring if a prong is gently flattened by an expert setter, such that a ring manufacturer -wouldn’t- fix other more pressing issues (whatever those issues would be).

Has anyone needed to fix an Erika Winters ring under warranty? What type of things must be fixed such that a warranty is even necessary?

I have numerous platinum settings that are around 100 years old. They all have intricate decorative diamond melee and apear extremely delicate. My center diamonds were securely pronged when I received them, no prongs sticking up, if anything they were smashed down on one of my rings. Settings are still intact and good looking a hundred years later.

IMO there should be no degenerating workmanship on a melee-free setting over time that would need to be fixed by warranty. Unless there are fatal flaws to the structural integrity of the ring. In which case, we’d all hear about it. And that would be a problem for the designer.

I guess my opinion is that I would fix the one prong with an expert setter (this has to be trusted expert, the process has to be described to you first and considered safe to do, etc.). Then I would say NOTHING.

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d honestly try to see if I could push the prong down myself very carefully..

^^ I would so the same. If I could not find a jeweler, I would ask my handy husband to cushion a thin, flat tool and push it gently down.
I would be upset about it too and understand your feelings. You paid top dollar to have a top-notch setting. I get it. I do think the vendor has a point in that it could have happened while in your possession though.
I’m sorry this may have tainted the process for you! It’s an absolutely gorgeous ring and it will be perfect once that prong is squished down. Let’s hope that it will be mind clean for you as well.
I also wouldn’t worry about warranty cancellation. I don’t think, given your location, that you would truly get that much out of it. You have informed her and this seems too minor to void any contract.
Good luck!

PS I would continue to wear it, especially if it is insured. With the 8 prongs, I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I would assume so. I honestly have no idea what sort of warranty or guarantee Erika provides, but I can't think of any vendor who won't void it the moment one of their pieces is touched by another jeweller. I think it would be much too risky to start saying this is acceptable outside work but this is not - you just *know* some customers (not Lessics, but some other customers!) will try their hardest to stretch those inches into miles ;(

I remember reading that the vendor repaired your earring post? Did you have to pay for the repair of your dented earring post?
I think also having the ring resized (even if you have to pay for it) would fall under things she won't do anymore, after I let the ring get touched by somebody else.

Yes I have zero problems paying for servicing the ring. But I won't be able to have it serviced from her if I have it touched by somebody else. Just like LV or Hermès babs.

I would have been a little put off by the response. It's not "bad" per say - but for a 5k solitaire I'd like a little more "high touch" service.

Good luck and hope you get this fixed ASAP!

To be quite honest I'm a bit irritated by her response. But I have been already during the process of having the setting made. Her jewellery is so beautiful, but I'm really considering not going with her for my next stud project as I really don't click with her.

^^ I would so the same. If I could not find a jeweler, I would ask my handy husband to cushion a thin, flat tool and push it gently down.
I would be upset about it too and understand your feelings. You paid top dollar to have a top-notch setting. I get it. I do think the vendor has a point in that it could have happened while in your possession though.
I’m sorry this may have tainted the process for you! It’s an absolutely gorgeous ring and it will be perfect once that prong is squished down. Let’s hope that it will be mind clean for you as well.
I also wouldn’t worry about warranty cancellation. I don’t think, given your location, that you would truly get that much out of it. You have informed her and this seems too minor to void any contract.
Good luck!

PS I would continue to wear it, especially if it is insured. With the 8 prongs, I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

That's a interesting idea maybe I will try it. All non essential shops are closed in our country and it could take months till they reopen. And I don't have anything to loose as I won't be contacting my vendor anymore.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember reading that the vendor repaired your earring post? Did you have to pay for the repair of your dented earring post?
I think also having the ring resized (even if you have to pay for it) would fall under things she won't do anymore, after I let the ring get touched by somebody else.
Yes! That was me.

I did pay for the repair. It had been four or five years by that point so whatever happened (I have no idea, which is a bit scary!) was clearly my fault. I just try to be as careful as I possibly can. So far so good.

The Margot style is easy enough to resize - I think that need not be a worry at all.

I’m going to be honest and agree with you: It seems like Erika isn’t a great fit for your projects. I think it’s really good that you’re able to evaluate your feelings, and there are any number of jewellers who would be better fits in terms of both communication style and international client policies.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to be honest and agree with you: It seems like Erika isn’t a great fit for your projects

Yup, this is exactly right. She is not a good fit at all for you IMO but it is what it is.

If you don’t click with the vendor do not use that vendor. Listen to your gut. And your heart. There are many wonderful vendors who you can work with and with whom you will feel comfortable. Do not settle. Don’t rush into anything.

I am sorry you are in this situation and I agree with @diamondseeker2006 @Slick1 and @yssie in that this should be relatively easy to take care of but I also think the customer service is lacking here and I wouldn't be happy either.

Snow White

Rough_Rock
Hi Lessics,
Are you based in Munich ( Hemmerle ;-))?
If yes, I could recommand you Goldschmiede Pell for an opinion.
He did a custom platinium 3 stones emerald ring for me and 2 pairs of earring.
Very german style but nice and competent people (father and son) IMHO.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Here in the UK, jewellers are all closed for customer facing things but bench jewellers can continue to operate with drop off and collect only (or via post/shipping). You might want to try emailing or calling a few to see if it's the same over there. It's great you have a personal recommendation for a good bench from Snow White now.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with you @Lessics. The few times I contacted Erika, I got an uneasy feeling that my inquiries were burdensome (when I even got a reply). I love the pieces I have but all of them were purchased through jewelers who carry her line. I doubt I would ever work with her personally.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
If yes, I could recommand you Goldschmiede Pell for an opinion.
He did a custom platinium 3 stones emerald ring for me and 2 pairs of earring.
Very german style but nice and competent people (father and son) IMHO.

Thank you so much for the tip. I will give them a look!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where is your SMTB thread on this amazing stone? I guess I missed it the first time around.

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
That is NOT a 5k USD setting.
İ hope.youre exaggerating the price

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results