shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity or size... oh no she din''t

What would you do...

• Get the SI2 that is the same size or bigger than your present diamond, just get over the spots you c

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Get the SI1 that is smaller than your present diamond. I mean c''mon, size isn''t everything (that''

• Give the diamond to me and get a new hobby!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I went and saw some diamonds today with my DH... we looked at some G''s and H''s in prong settings and compared them to my K. Boy oh boy you could really really see a difference in color! It was really stunning. And sure enough, DH and I both preferred the G. Crisp, clean, icy. Delicious!
30.gif

We have talked about it and decided that this is the last diamond upgrade for a long time. My budget is fixed... I do not *want* to spend any more money than this, I don''t *want* to save more in the future. There are other things in life we need and want... imagine that!
3.gif
And I want to reset my new diamond next year and call it a diamond day.

So here''s the thing: Keeping to my budget of approx $1200 in addition to my trade in, the only way I can get a G is to a) get an SI1 and go a little smaller than my present diamond -- losing about .10ct and about .20mm (picture below); OR to go to an SI2 and my similar size, but to deal with "mind clean" issues even if it is eye clean by all reasonable standards. I do not have specific diamonds picked for either of these catregories, though there are contendors. But I have scoured the internet and those are the options in my price point.

So what would you do?
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the decrease in size if I go with option 2 -- ignore the labels, these diamonds are just for reference.

1.18vs1.07.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or more accurately...
2.gif

1.18vs1.07accurate.jpg

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
To me, the size is not that different. Will you wear the ring as a solitaire? what kind of and to you have? These things might weigh in on your finally choice.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you should keep an open mind about the 2 variables and start looking for diamonds. I think you might make a decision once you look at some stones - sometimes, the right one just screams out to you.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really see too much of a difference with the size. Personally, I would go with the mind clean diamond unless you can find an awesome SI2 that is mind clean to you. Also if you want this diamond sooner than later, if you want it sooner go for the G SI1. If you can wait until they find the perfect SI2 (which could be a while), then you get the color upgrade you want as well as a carat upgrade as well.
9.gif
Good luck, dreamer! This is a toughie!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would wait for the perfect G SI2. I might also look for a G SI1 with blue fluorescence, since I know that''s, a) a whitening factor, and b) sometimes a discounting factor ....

P.S. - Is there any way for you to *see* the BGD with your own eyes? Alternately, does he do videos?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I agree with LD above who said keep your options open and explore all of them with an open mind until the perfect diamond shows up. I bet then you''ll *know*!

Happy hunting!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you''ve got some time to search -- although "next year" is just around the corner!

I would do as others have suggested and keep a total open mind, look for an SI2 that is eye clean. I think as long as you are not in a rush, you should have no problem.

What will the setting be?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The good thing is that you now both know your color limit - G. There''s no point in thinking about H or I as you know in your heart it is a G that will make you happiest. If you get the SI2 and are constantly turning and looking at the stone for the inclusions, you''ve defeated the purpose. I do think that color/clarity quality trumps size - and that is strictly my opinion. You are not talking about a small, itty bitty stone so moving down in size just a smidge won''t really matter. You may notice that it is a hair smaller but you will always see and appreciate the color/clarity that you want. Even a smaller stone that is a fireball will give you more pleasure than a larger stone that has mind clean issues.

My vote would be for the smaller, G, SI1. I think from the description of the SI2 that it is probably a beautiful stone but will always leave you wondering in terms of clarity. We know that some folks don''t care about the clarity and color as much (aren''t they soooo lucky?) but some of us do. You just have to accept your limits and deal with them. Trying to wrap your mind around a stone that already has you doubting is just counter productive IMO.

If you are determined to do this now, then take what is available in the best color/clarity combo you can find. If not, you can wait a bit and see what else comes up. The gamble in that is that pricing can always go up a bit. I can almost guarantee you that in the months or years to come, you''ll wish the stone could grow a bit. I think everyone does at some point. You will just have to remember that you reached a color/clarity that you love and if the sacrifice is a bit of size, so be it. I think ultimately we all have to sacrifice on some component of a stone - size, color or clarity - but never cut.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, unrelated: I just went back and saw your "F vs. K" photographic deathmatch thread. Your diamond is BEAUTIFUL! *You* need to feel it''s beautiful, but until you find that perfect G, bask in the glory of that stone!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Weird, in the pic I can see the color difference between the G and H. In real life, I can''t.

Here''s what I would do, get the G, S12 and have it shipped loose. Look at it in every type of lighting, really study the stone for inclusions. If you can''t see any, or what you do see doesn''t bother you, get it! You won''t really know about mind clean until you have the stone in your possesion.
If the inclusions bother you, send it back and go for the slightly smaller SI1. But even then, I''d do the same thing and check the SI1 loose for inclusions.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend that you purchase the G SI1. It sounds like you have some doubts about the SI2, and I think that you would feel much better with a stone that you can go "ahhhh" with -- no worries! 2/10 of a millimeter is such a small difference... I think that it would be well worth your peace of mind that you have a very clean (no wondering about the inclusions) ICY WHITE DIAMOND!
9.gif
2.gif
If this is your forever stone for a good long while, go with quality.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Are you planning to re-set into a halo/bezel setting? If so, I think you should go for the SI1. You'll be getting so much more finger coverage with the setting, the TEENY TINY mm fraction difference won't matter and your deliciously white G will be more 'mind clean.'

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
As always, great helpful insightful comments from everyone!
36.gif

As to the style of the ring, I don't know
32.gif
For the near future it will be in a simple solitaire (my current legato sleekline). In 6 months or forever, however long it takes me to decide, it will go into perhaps a semi-bezel, perhaps a bezel. I am not totally sure about the halo but need to try some more on! It will be a fun project or else I will completely lose my mind. Take your pick
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 8:28:22 AM
Author: Luckyeshe
I don''t really see too much of a difference with the size. Personally, I would go with the mind clean diamond unless you can find an awesome SI2 that is mind clean to you. Also if you want this diamond sooner than later, if you want it sooner go for the G SI1. If you can wait until they find the perfect SI2 (which could be a while), then you get the color upgrade you want as well as a carat upgrade as well.
9.gif
Good luck, dreamer! This is a toughie!
This is an interesting concept. I looked back at the cert of my current diamond, which is totally and unequivocallyan eye clean SI1, and the plot is actually kind of nasty! Look at all the inclusions listed1 Includes buises, chips, cavity''s, laser holes and on and on. When I bought it I just asked "Is it eye clean?" and they said yes (meaning at 8-10 inches to a person with normal eye sight). I have never louped the diamond, though I may now out of curiosity. Anyways, this doesn''t bother me at all because I can''t see the inclusions. So really that is my standard I guess.

Here is the messy SI1 plot of my currenty diamond.

current1-167.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 7:50:46 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
I think you should keep an open mind about the 2 variables and start looking for diamonds. I think you might make a decision once you look at some stones - sometimes, the right one just screams out to you.
This is tougher with internet buying I think. But I totally get your point!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 8:34:26 AM
Author: Circe
I would wait for the perfect G SI2. I might also look for a G SI1 with blue fluorescence, since I know that''s, a) a whitening factor, and b) sometimes a discounting factor ....

P.S. - Is there any way for you to *see* the BGD with your own eyes? Alternately, does he do videos?
There are ways, but they are PITA. We are working on some possibilities because I know that is what I need to really feel confident.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 8:53:58 AM
Author: MissGotRocks
The good thing is that you now both know your color limit - G. There''s no point in thinking about H or I as you know in your heart it is a G that will make you happiest. If you get the SI2 and are constantly turning and looking at the stone for the inclusions, you''ve defeated the purpose. I do think that color/clarity quality trumps size - and that is strictly my opinion. You are not talking about a small, itty bitty stone so moving down in size just a smidge won''t really matter. You may notice that it is a hair smaller but you will always see and appreciate the color/clarity that you want. Even a smaller stone that is a fireball will give you more pleasure than a larger stone that has mind clean issues.

My vote would be for the smaller, G, SI1. I think from the description of the SI2 that it is probably a beautiful stone but will always leave you wondering in terms of clarity. We know that some folks don''t care about the clarity and color as much (aren''t they soooo lucky?) but some of us do. You just have to accept your limits and deal with them. Trying to wrap your mind around a stone that already has you doubting is just counter productive IMO.

If you are determined to do this now, then take what is available in the best color/clarity combo you can find. If not, you can wait a bit and see what else comes up. The gamble in that is that pricing can always go up a bit. I can almost guarantee you that in the months or years to come, you''ll wish the stone could grow a bit. I think everyone does at some point. You will just have to remember that you reached a color/clarity that you love and if the sacrifice is a bit of size, so be it. I think ultimately we all have to sacrifice on some component of a stone - size, color or clarity - but never cut.
true true true true true true. I suspect that if G is really my favourite color, then I will never leap over the 1.5ct mark, it is simply too much in my mind. I do worry that in reality, I could be totally happy with an H or I, but once you go G can you ever go back again? I really would like a bigger diamond
27.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 11:00:49 AM
Author: EBree
Are you planning to re-set into a halo/bezel setting? If so, I think you should go for the SI1. You''ll be getting so much more finger coverage with the setting, the TEENY TINY mm fraction difference won''t matter and your deliciously white G will be more ''mind clean.''
Dreamer, my new .76 is halo''ed (prong set not bezel) and the halo makes my .76 easily look like 1.5-2 carats IRL! So if you went to a smaller stone, higher color, but then haloed or bezeled it, that would give the oomph you are looking for in a bigger size without spending the moolah! Maybe I''m remembering wrong, but didn''t you want a halo but then tried on a 2 carat Lucida style and that''s your ultimate ring?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 9:42:55 AM
Author: Circe
Also, unrelated: I just went back and saw your ''F vs. K'' photographic deathmatch thread. Your diamond is BEAUTIFUL! *You* need to feel it''s beautiful, but until you find that perfect G, bask in the glory of that stone!
Yes, it is a stunning diamond!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never, ever ever go DOWN in size. So I would go with a G SI2. OR maybe an H SI1. I have an H and it still is icy white to me. An H with med blue fluor would be very white.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 9:55:34 AM
Author: elle_chris
Weird, in the pic I can see the color difference between the G and H. In real life, I can''t.

Here''s what I would do, get the G, S12 and have it shipped loose. Look at it in every type of lighting, really study the stone for inclusions. If you can''t see any, or what you do see doesn''t bother you, get it! You won''t really know about mind clean until you have the stone in your possesion.
If the inclusions bother you, send it back and go for the slightly smaller SI1. But even then, I''d do the same thing and check the SI1 loose for inclusions.
I thought I could too, but IRL obviously it is not as noticable.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 10:48:46 AM
Author: *Lindsey*
I would recommend that you purchase the G SI1. It sounds like you have some doubts about the SI2, and I think that you would feel much better with a stone that you can go ''ahhhh'' with -- no worries! 2/10 of a millimeter is such a small difference... I think that it would be well worth your peace of mind that you have a very clean (no wondering about the inclusions) ICY WHITE DIAMOND!
9.gif
2.gif
If this is your forever stone for a good long while, go with quality.
LOL... "you know you are a PSer when...|

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 12:27:25 PM
Author: Laila619
I would never, ever ever go DOWN in size. So I would go with a G SI2. OR maybe an H SI1. I have an H and it still is icy white to me. An H with med blue fluor would be very white.
hahah... I think going down in size would feel worse than knowing there were inclusions in my diamond, I agree!
12.gif

Honestly, H SI1 would be fine too. But in this size that is about 1k more than the GSI2! There is a huge price drop from SI1 to SI2, just like from J to K. So even though it would be totally acceptable to me, I still think the size is not possible. Again, I don''t want to increase my budget.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dd, I''m of the mind that you will know in your heart and in your gut which stone is right for you. For me, it was kind of like finding "the" wedding gown for me. When I saw it, I knew. End of story.

I don''t think you should try to convince yourself of anything if you''re not truly loving any diamond that''s already been offered, and again, if it were me (and I''m only speaking for myself), I couldn''t go smaller even if it was just a little bit smaller. I know from reading a past post of yours in the Hangout that you''d eventually love to own a two carat. Knowing that and knowing you from watching you create past projects, honey smaller is going to bug you! I think having patience will reap you the reward of finding exactly what you''re after for now. Leslie told me that they get stones in all the time. Granted, at certain times of the year they receive larger quantities of new stones, but your stone is out there somewhere. I''d try to be patient
5.gif
. I know it''s hard. I''m talking to myself here too!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 12:24:26 PM
Author: february2003bride

Are you planning to re-set into a halo/bezel setting? If so, I think you should go for the SI1. You'll be getting so much more finger coverage with the setting, the TEENY TINY mm fraction difference won't matter and your deliciously white G will be more 'mind clean.'
Dreamer, my new .76 is halo'ed (prong set not bezel) and the halo makes my .76 easily look like 1.5-2 carats IRL! So if you went to a smaller stone, higher color, but then haloed or bezeled it, that would give the oomph you are looking for in a bigger size without spending the moolah! Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't you want a halo but then tried on a 2 carat Lucida style and that's your ultimate ring?
Yes
20.gif
but if I like high color that will never in a million years happen. I think I need to accept reality. If I stayed at a K I could do it, but I don't think I want to. Other priorities KWIM? I love the lucinda style setting though and will really think about it for my reset, boring as it is. Halos are so pretty but I just don't know if they are me after trying some on. It is a very delicate look and I am perhaps not such a delicate lady
4.gif
But I need to go to tiffs to see some, since really the quality I would get from WF or BGD would be so good that I need to see something really high standard to know.

I dd try on a plain semi bezel and it also made the diamond look/feel a lot bigger so that is something that I am thinking about too.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 12:30:44 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 11/29/2009 12:27:25 PM
Author: Laila619
hahah... I think going down in size would feel worse than knowing there were inclusions in my diamond, I agree!
12.gif

Honestly, H SI1 would be fine too. But in this size that is about 1k more than the GSI2! There is a huge price drop from SI1 to SI2, just like from J to K. So even though it would be totally acceptable to me, I still think the size is not possible. Again, I don''t want to increase my budget.
I would definitely stick with SI1s, and realistically, if a jeweler put a half dozen loose diamonds in front of you, half of which were Hs and half of which were Gs, you''d have a really hard time telling the diference. And then too, as we all know, it all depends on cut.

I''d look for a H SI1 in either a AGS O or a GIA triple Ex.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 12:33:59 PM
Author: gemgirl
dd, I''m of the mind that you will know in your heart and in your gut which stone is right for you. For me, it was kind of like finding ''the'' wedding gown for me. When I saw it, I knew. End of story.

I don''t think you should try to convince yourself of anything if you''re not truly loving any diamond that''s already been offered, and again, if it were me (and I''m only speaking for myself), I couldn''t go smaller even if it was just a little bit smaller. I know from reading a past post of yours in the Hangout that you''d eventually love to own a two carat. Knowing that and knowing you from watching you create past projects, honey smaller is going to bug you! I think having patience will reap you the reward of finding exactly what you''re after for now. Leslie told me that they get stones in all the time. Granted, at certain times of the year they receive larger quantities of new stones, but your stone is out there somewhere. I''d try to be patient
5.gif
. I know it''s hard. I''m talking to myself here too!
See I am a very different shopper. I tried on every single gown in the city about 4 times, must have been over 100 gowns. I found many that I really liked and thought would look great! But I had in my mind that I wanted a $1200 gown but I only wanted to pay $500
2.gif
Sound familiar? Well eventually I found exactly that type of gown, so I bought it and it looked great and I loved it more because it was a deal. Actually, maybe that is exactly what you are talking about
19.gif
I know that if I saw this diamond in person then I would be able to make that type of gut judgement. Online, I think it is easier

hahhaa.. am I really so transparent? Yes, I do think it will bug me. Even if I can''t see it I will still KNOW it! LOL!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 12:34:29 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 11/29/2009 12:24:26 PM
Author: february2003bride

Are you planning to re-set into a halo/bezel setting? If so, I think you should go for the SI1. You''ll be getting so much more finger coverage with the setting, the TEENY TINY mm fraction difference won''t matter and your deliciously white G will be more ''mind clean.''
Dreamer, my new .76 is halo''ed (prong set not bezel) and the halo makes my .76 easily look like 1.5-2 carats IRL! So if you went to a smaller stone, higher color, but then haloed or bezeled it, that would give the oomph you are looking for in a bigger size without spending the moolah! Maybe I''m remembering wrong, but didn''t you want a halo but then tried on a 2 carat Lucida style and that''s your ultimate ring?
Yes
20.gif
but if I like high color that will never in a million years happen. I think I need to accept reality. If I stayed at a K I could do it, but I don''t think I want to. Other priorities KWIM? I love the lucinda style setting though and will really think about it for my reset, boring as it is. Halos are so pretty but I just don''t know if they are me after trying some on. It is a very delicate look and I am perhaps not such a delicate lady
4.gif
But I need to go to tiffs to see some, since really the quality I would get from WF or BGD would be so good that I need to see something really high standard to know.

I dd try on a plain semi bezel and it also made the diamond look/feel a lot bigger so that is something that I am thinking about too.
Ok, if a halo is out, then I wouldn''t go smaller. You''ve said many times you really want to hit that 1.5 mark as your ideal size. Did the H/I colors that you looked at really have a tint to it? I''m sure you will love the color of the G, but then will you hate the size and regret not meeting in the middle at an ''I'' color but same size or larger?

The Lucida style isn''t boring!! It''s my favorite Tiffany ring! And that style setting may help oomph your stone''s size visual as well. For me, wider settings make a diamond look slightly larger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results