shape
carat
color
clarity

"Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown" on VVS

thiefbudda2

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone,

I want to thanks the community first since i learned a lot since i decided to make the move. Thanks.

I get a little confused on the "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown" comment on the GIA report of one diamond I liked a lot. Here is the details:

Carat weight 1.35
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2
Length/width ratio: 1.00
Depth %: 61.5%
Table %: 58.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle:Slightly Thick to Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Clarity grade is not based on the clouds that are not shown.

I ordered this diamond online already and today I went to a jeweler in diamond district NYC to order a setting. The lady checked the report and said this comment may impact the fire and brightness a lot, the lighting might be bad, and she would never buy such a diamond. She makes me worried so much that i have to hold the setting order and decide to make an appraisal as soon as I receive the diamond.

After I get back home, I double checked the forum and it's not as serious as she stated for diamond of clarity higher than SI. Would anyone can explain to me what the comments mean? Do this comments affect the diamond of clarity VVS2. I start to think the lady might just say bad thing to this diamond to make me order from her store.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown" on

The woman is saying that to try to make you return your diamond, period. In VVS stones, there are no concerns about clarity issues. If the stone was SI, then yes, I would be very concerned about additional clouds not shown on the plot. They just don't plot them all because all the red marks would be scary.

I take it you checked the crown and pavilion angles or ran the numbers through the HCA?

I would cancel the setting order with this woman. Do business with honorable people.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

She's lying to you and is so full of BS I need BOOTS just to post on this thread. And I would never do business with her.

ANY GIA stone with VVS clarity has NOTHING about it, AT ALL, that will impact performance or brilliance, fire or scintillation.

Take your stone. Go to Engagement Rings Direct. And get your setting there. Their quality will be better and they will deal with you honestly.

Also, please post the angles of the stone. Crown and Pavillion both so we can help you see if there is anything to worry about with respect to cut.

But be PERFECTLY confident that this woman was scamming you.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

The "clouds that are not shown" in a VVS2 GIA graded diamond are not to be worried over. If you can get the specs (as per Gypsy and DS2006) you will get great advice on this stone.

thiefbudda2

Rough_Rock

Thanks, diamondseeker2006, Gypsy, Diamond_Hawk. You experts totally cleared my confusion. Now I am confident on my selection, and I will go somewhere else for the setting. Do you have any other places I can check the settings? Thanks.

HCA report is posted as the following:
Selected: 61.5% depth, 58% table, 35° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.0 - Excellent within TIC range

Please comment on it. I appreciate it. I checked heartsandarrows.com and it's following the ideal cut category. Thanks.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock

Those angles sound pretty good to me. Agreed with above; with a VVS2 you don't have to worry about inclusions affecting light performance in any way you'd ever notice with the naked eye.

I'd second the recommendation to go somewhere else for a setting. Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thiefbudda2|1403448692|3698565 said:
Thanks, diamondseeker2006, Gypsy, Diamond_Hawk. You experts totally cleared my confusion. Now I am confident on my selection, and I will go somewhere else for the setting. Do you have any other places I can check the settings? Thanks.

HCA report is posted as the following:
Selected: 61.5% depth, 58% table, 35° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.0 - Excellent within TIC range

Please comment on it. I appreciate it. I checked heartsandarrows.com and it's following the ideal cut category. Thanks.

Hi Thiefbudda,

Just to echo the comments of my friends above, there should not be any issue whatsoever with VVS2 grade making clouds, in SI grades there might possibly be but in VVS you should be safe. The diamond looks very good on paper but images such as Idealscope are needed in order to see how well everything works together, also if you could post the diameter measurements, the star and lower girdle facet percentages for completeness please, that would be helpful. This stone does look promising but images and or evaluation in person would be the next step.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy|1403421789|3698470 said:
She's lying to you and is so full of BS I need BOOTS just to post on this thread. And I would never do business with her.

ANY GIA stone with VVS clarity has NOTHING about it, AT ALL, that will impact performance or brilliance, fire or scintillation.

Take your stone. Go to Engagement Rings Direct. And get your setting there. Their quality will be better and they will deal with you honestly.

Also, please post the angles of the stone. Crown and Pavillion both so we can help you see if there is anything to worry about with respect to cut.

But be PERFECTLY confident that this woman was scamming you.

I can't agree enough. Don't buy a setting from this piece of work. Go to ERD.

thiefbudda2

Rough_Rock

Hi, Lorelei,

Attached is the detailed diamond image, thanks for the reply, I will definitely go to do an appraisal after I received the stone.

screenshot_2014-06-23_01.png

thiefbudda2

Rough_Rock

thanks, will give it a try, :)

thiefbudda2

Rough_Rock

thanks, SirGuy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lioness|1403455346|3698628 said:
Gypsy|1403421789|3698470 said:
She's lying to you and is so full of BS I need BOOTS just to post on this thread.

lol.gif

Gypsy, I am SO stealing that saying!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thiefbudda2|1403502500|3699017 said:
Hi, Lorelei,

Attached is the detailed diamond image, thanks for the reply, I will definitely go to do an appraisal after I received the stone.

screenshot_2014-06-23_01.png

Hi TB,

You are welcome! Thanks for the info, the stone definitely looks promising by the basic proportions but as you might be aware, an image such as ASET or Idealscope is needed in order to see how well it all works, but this is a diamond that is definitely worth further investigation, could be a lovely stone.

thiefbudda2

Rough_Rock

Hi, Lorelei,

Thanks for the comments, I would definitely bring it to a diamond appraiser after I receive diamond. Do you have anyone I can trust?

Regards,
TB

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results