shape
carat
color
clarity

Citrine Project!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been itching for a citrine RHR for quite some time now. DH''s birthstone is citrine, and I just like the look of the stone. Also, please correct me if I''m wrong, but I believe citrines tend to be pretty inexpensive, so that''s always a plus!
22.gif

I''d like to have a fairly good-sized citrine, in a pretty 18k yellow gold setting, probably with diamond accents worked in somehow. I''m not entirely set on the shape yet, but I''ve been leaning toward a step-cut. (Have you SEEN Ellen''s gorgeous aqua?!?!) Does anyone have any ideas/advice for me? I keep seeing Richard Homer mentioned here on PS as one of the best cutters to use for gemstones. Would he be a good choice? If so, are his prices pretty reasonable? Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me. Keep in mind, I know next to nothing about colored stones . . . I''m a total newbie at this!!!
19.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Eeee citrine. That''s my birthstone, too. They look amazing in step-cuts, and they are very affordable. Do you want to be able to buy the stone seperately from the setting, or together?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, MonkeyPie!
35.gif

It might be nice to buy the stone and setting separately, but I''m not totally against buying a complete ring if I come across the right one. I did find one at Reed''s a while back, but I''m leaning away from the "maul" stores now that I''ve found PS. Just for reference, here''s the one I saw at Reed''s: http://www.reeds.com/Three-Stone-Citrine-Mandarin-Garnet-and-Diamond-Ring-plu18758037.html?npDataSet=categoryProducts

That one is very pretty, but the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of a ring with three citrines. I think I want just one, big citrine to be the central focus. I''m not opposed to a three-stone ring, if the other two stones are diamonds, though!
31.gif

Diamond accents of some sort would be very nice, in fact. I just don''t want them to overwhelm the citrine. Maybe some sort of halo?
33.gif

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Richard Homer is great in my opinion--he cut the stone that is my avatar. He does flat (traditional) faceting, but is more well known for his concave cutting. I think concaves are beautiful and different, but they''re not for everyone (I think you would have a 50/50 split here on PS of people who love them and people who don''t). I''m not sure if I''ve seen any step cuts by Richard, but I do know that Jeff White does amazing work with asschers.

Hope that helps!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miss Pinky ~ The stone in your avatar is gorgeous, and I have seen some examples of Richard Homer''s concave faceting in the past. I have to say, it''s not what I initially had in mind, but I do like it! It''s very different from what you normally see, and I like the brilliance! Your stone has the cool shape of an asscher, but it BLINGS!
30.gif

I''m not sure of this, but I believe Richard Homer is the one who cut Ellen''s aqua? I am just in LOVE with that stone!
18.gif

MonkeyPie ~ Thanks for the link to Angara! I did find a very nice oval citrine on their site ~ 3.47 carats for $65: http://www.angara.com/gemstone-detail.do?method=stoneDetail&sq=st-ci&pID=188624 What does everybody think of that one? I''m not sure about doing an oval, though . . . I''m really into more square-shaped cuts (asscher, emerald, cushion, radiant, etc.). But I think that''s about the size range I''d be interested in. And the setting you mentioned is very nice! I wonder if they could make it in 18k yellow gold? I think I might be looking for something with a more "vintagey" feel, though . . . claw prongs would be awesome!!!
31.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I''m seriously considering just buying the stone and setting separately. That way, I can get exactly what I want . . . whatever that may be! LOL!
2.gif

So, my question now is: Who should I have cut the stone . . . Richard Homer or Jeff White??? I''ve seen awesome reviews of both here on PS, and I''m wondering which one I should go with. Would they even be willing to work on a lowly citrine?
33.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 11:29:35 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
OK, I'm seriously considering just buying the stone and setting separately. That way, I can get exactly what I want . . . whatever that may be! LOL!
2.gif

So, my question now is: Who should I have cut the stone . . . Richard Homer or Jeff White??? I've seen awesome reviews of both here on PS, and I'm wondering which one I should go with. Would they even be willing to work on a lowly citrine?
33.gif
Richard Homer does a lot of citrine, judging from the gemstone roundtable I attended last fall. Call Wink Jones. He is a jeweler who is on PS, and has access to Richard's stones and can get it set for you.

ETA - Please remember that Richard Homer is an award-winning artist, with stones in the Smithsonian. I photographed a couple of his amazing citirine cuts here Link But remember, there are other American cutters who can produce great cut compared to native cut, and their stones will cost less.

Please let us know how your search goes.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, FlyGirl! So, in other words, Jeff White will probably be able to give me a beautifully cut stone for a lower price than Richard Homer? I guess, unless I want Richard Homer's concave facets, I'd be better off going with Jeff White . . . correct?
33.gif

ETA: Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the link to the Richard Homer eye candy! I think I'm on bling overload!!! Absolutely GORGEOUS stuff!!!
23.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 12:02:09 PM
Thanks, FlyGirl! So, in other words, Jeff White will probably be able to give me a beautifully cut stone for a lower price than Richard Homer? I guess, unless I want Richard Homer''s concave facets, I''d be better off going with Jeff White . . . correct?
33.gif

ETA: Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the link to the Richard Homer eye candy! I think I''m on bling overload!!! Absolutely GORGEOUS stuff!!!
23.gif
What I''m trying to say, is that if you are looking for a well cut citrine for a ring, just about any American cutter will give you a beautiful stone for that purpose. There are other wonderful cutters besides Richard Homer and Jeff White. What I would try to do is avoid native cut stones.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, FlyGirl!
21.gif

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get a good quality, well cut citrine? Thanks again!
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Cushioncutnut! I do like that one!
9.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This vendor is in California.... he is really nice to talk to! He has great prices too and not all his gems are listed!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool! Thanks for the tip!
21.gif

Ya know, the more I hang out over here on the CS forum, the more I want to start a collection! Although I really do want a citrine, I'm seeing all these other gorgeous colors, and I don't know if I can stop at just one citrine! LOL! You guys are a BAAAAAAD influence!!!
11.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kinda like Lays potato chips.....you can never stop at just one!!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you get one gemstone. .......... I GUARANTEE you won''t stop at just one... just like CM said!!!! YUMMO... in a non-calorie way!!!!
31.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oy. In the same boat over here. Must.... show.... some.... restraint....
14.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom, CCN & Dani ~ You guys are so funny! I''ve always been a diamond girl, but I think I might be developing a serious gemstone problem! I can''t wait to get this citrine ring done, so I can start on my next project!
27.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, Dani, I saw those! Are they gorgeous or what?!?!
30.gif
18.gif

BTW, does anybody know how big a citrine usually faces up for its carat weight? In other words, is a three carat citrine (for example) as big as a three carat diamond, or would the citrine be bigger or smaller? I'm kinda trying to get a feel for what size I need to be looking for. Thanks again for all your help with this! The CS forum rocks!!!
9.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes... those are just gorgeous! Irishgirl... I hope you find that perfect gemstone -birthstone for that perfect setting!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh, Dani . . . that first topaz is just amazing! That is just a GORGEOUS color!!!
3.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Irish - did you see this one? What shape are you looking for?

citrineyummy.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 4:46:37 PM
Oooooh, Dani . . . that first topaz is just amazing! That is just a GORGEOUS color!!!
3.gif
I know!!! Must... hold.. back... husband... will.. murder... or at least roll eyes and be annoyed, LOL.

See, if I get that topaz, I have to find smaller ones to make earrings with...
11.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2008 4:49:19 PM
Author: geckodani

Date: 7/29/2008 4:46:37 PM
3.gif
I know!!! Must... hold.. back... husband... will.. murder... or at least roll eyes and be annoyed, LOL.

See, if I get that topaz, I have to find smaller ones to make earrings with...
11.gif
Hee hee hee! Dani, I like your thinking! LOL!
9.gif

I did see the trillion citrine you posted. Although I love the color of that stone, and the concave faceting, I''m just not into trillions. I''m thinking more along the lines of an asscher or cushion shape, set in some sort of vintagey-looking 18k yellow gold setting with diamond accents and CLAW PRONGS!!! I must have claw prongs!!!
3.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LOL. Claw prongs it is Maam.
2.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ya know, an emerald cut might even work . . . not completely sure yet, but it''s definitely between emerald, asscher and cushion . . . so far anyway!
2.gif

I''m picturing a lot of finger coverage, maybe a halo of diamonds or some filigree/scrollwork in the profile? I want it to be substantial in size, but still "wearable" if that makes any sense?
33.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Makes sense to me. I know the style.
1.gif

I''m a really bare bones/simple girl when it comes to settings. Even my upgrade on my ERing is staying pretty classic, LOL.

I go for solitaires for the most part.

Every now and then though - man I just want to bust out the BLING!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results